Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline (Author)

7,397717475 (4.19)3 / 716
Member:markg80
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline (Author)
Info:Arrow (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Mark, Read, Your library
Rating:*****

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Characters have to solve a mystery left by a deceased (fictional) creative artist; similar reference name-dropping, obsession with details and re-creations
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)

English (701)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All (715)
After first hearing that an entire genre (LitRPG) had sprung up, I was at first very hesitant. "You mean, a whole genre that is like SAO?" (Please feel free to criticize me heavily for such an ignorant statement, i deserve it!) However, after purchasing the book at the urging of friends (whose literary opinions I put much faith in) I buckled down and started to read.

And, just like that, it was two o'clock in the morning and I had finished the story in one sitting. Wow.

Rarely does a story draw me in so quickly and so rarely is a story so successful and total immersion and suspension of disbelief. Although the 80's references sometimes got a little quirky(corny?)the book as a whole is exceptional.

I immediately handed the book to my father and urged him to give it a read. Despite his lack of appreciation for science fiction, there is no doubt in my mind that he will thoroughly enjoy the read.

Thumbs up, all the way. Do yourself a favor and buy this. ( )
  Joseph_Scifres | Sep 20, 2017 |
Review to follow ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
A little more sci-fi than I'm used to, but an incredible story of struggle, dedication and the search for a happiness you weren't sure existed. This is the book that helped me reach my goal for the year and I'm glad to have done it with such a worthy read! ( )
  Bricker | Sep 18, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook. It was a tremendous blast from the past and I loved every minute of every 80's pop culture reference. The ending was a bit on the cheesy side but who cares? The ride getting to that point was so much fun that I can cut the author a little slack. There will be haters but *shrug*.

The audio version was narrated by Wil Wheaton, who does a tremendous job (although I don't know if I would have given him extra points for his Monty Python accent). I played the book in my car and found myself driving around aimlessly so I could listen to just a little more. I ended up finishing the last 3 discs while playing a computer game with the sound off.

Recommended for anyone who enjoys pop culture, a good dystopian story and a bit of a love story too. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Sep 10, 2017 |
Absolutely awesome. ( )
  Flash_68 | Sep 7, 2017 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spini, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,906,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible