Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline (Author)

Series: Ready Player One (1)

12,3781003340 (4.11)4 / 887
"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines -- puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win -- and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape"--Page 2 of cover.… (more)
Member:daxxh
Title:Ready Player One: A Novel
Authors:Ernest Cline (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2012), Edition: 32089th, 400 pages

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Warcross by Marie Lu (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: dystopian society with virtual reality
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas, Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Players inserted into a virtual world with real world stakes, and littered with cultural references.
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)

English (980)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (4)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (1,001)
This should have been so much better. I really enjoyed 75% of this book, but I think he nerfed the ending. ( )
  tduvally | Sep 16, 2020 |
  tduvally | Sep 16, 2020 |
I manages to read Ready Player One in three days with a hundred more pages then a book I started over a month ago.

I give this a 3 1/2-star rating. Picking up right from page with enough action and 80s pop culture referent to create a rich world of possibilities. Even those I hadn't live in the 80s, I didn't find myself lost with all the referent of video games and movies. However, music is not one of my strong suites.

The future world has an uncanny feel to it of what our world might become. Completely assume in our own fantasy that all since of reality is lost.

With Virtual Reality coming out I have a feeling even before I read Ready Player One that no good will come out of Virtual Reality. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
I have to mark this book read even though I barely started. The '80s references reach a masturbatory level very early on. And I'm in the same demographic as Mr. Cline. I don't need to be told how to pronounce Art3mis and Sux0rz. That just insulted my intelligence.

Wikipedia lists this as science fiction, while Goodreads at least also classifies it as young adult. It certainly reads like I imagine a YA novel would. ( )
  bnmak | Sep 12, 2020 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHISKYTREEINCCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]
And now the conditions at any schools had gotten so terrible that every kid with half a brain was being encouraged to stay at home and attend school online.
The Great Recession was now entering its third decade, and unemployment was still at a record high. (2045)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,933,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible