No title (2011)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Recently added byebely, greekie, Javisan, JoshLook, Mslee4, private library, imahorcrux, Glire, BrannonSG
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    .hack//Legend of the Twilight, Volume 1 by Tatsuya Hamazaki (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)

English (594)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (604)
Just because you identify as being "nerdy" and get the plethora of references that flood every page doesn't mean that this is a good book. The plot itself is flimsy and the constant pandering to its audience (though, if you're not the target audience, don't worry, Cline will explain the reference, thus nullifying the impact of making it in the first place) isn't just distracting, it's tedious. This might appeal to same type of person who mistakes what Zack Snyder does as genuine artistic merit, simply because he's arranging something you know and love before you. They're not doing anything with it other than telling you, "Hey, you love this stuff? I love this stuff, too!" Congratulations, you also saw Ghostbusters and loved it, just as thousands of other people on the planet. And now you're calling back in your book. What do you want, a pat on the back? Way to go, I guess?

Given the enormous positive response this book has garnered, I thought that maybe I had missed something the first time I read it or that maybe I was in the wrong state of mind. Nope. Going back to it actually managed to make it seem worse, no small feat since one is often more forgiving the second time around since you know what to expect.

So why all the rave reviews? Groupthink. That's the only logical explanation. ( )
  JoshLook | Jun 24, 2016 |
I loved this book.
Is it because I love video games? Or is it because I do, indeed, love the 80s? Or maybe, just maybe, it is because this was a pretty kickass book?
Yeah, there was a bit of overkill with the 80s references, but the ones I connected with made me really appreciate the level of commitment this book took to write. Unless there were a team of Sixers there, handing off the controls when it came time to write about a specific 80s show/game/song.
Yeah, maybe that's why this novel is so good... A team of writers, each with their own area of decade-specific expertise. That's cool.

Also, I realize now that I might want to spend less time of gaming and more time IRL. Just sayin'... ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Una historia maravillosa pero que por momentos se me hacía pesada, y no por las inmensa cantidad de referencias a los 80's -eso realmente me gustó y es parte del encanto-, si no por la también inmensa cantidad de detalladas descripciones, que hacen que el libro parezca más un libreto que otra cosa. Que es por lo mismo que creo que la adaptación cinematográfica va a ser genial y, aunque aun no han anunciado una posible fecha de estreno, la espero con ansias. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book made me wish that I had been born 9 years earlier. Ernest Cline brought his immersive world alive, and I didn't want to leave it... very much like the protagonist in the book. I thoroughly enjoyed all the "nerd" references, but missed out on some of the 80's pop culture sprinkled through the narrative. ( )
  BrittanyLyn | Jun 21, 2016 |
A video game treasure hunt based in '80s culture which I just couldn't ever feel engaged with.

I liked the idea of the world the book was trying to present, but it was too busy trying to fit the entire VH1 series "I love the '80s" into the pages to build a world whose outcome I cared about. ( )
  MullinsModerne | Jun 13, 2016 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rothfuss, PatrickIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,725,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible