Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline

3,7334291,398 (4.21)3 / 466
Member:kotten
Title:Ready Player One: A Novel
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:Broadway (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Author) (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.

English (421)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (426)
Surprisingly, one of the most exciting books I have read in a while. I learned a lot of stuff about video games that I probably wouldn't have known about otherwise. The OASIS is both terrifying and awe inspiring. While I would not want to live in the world Cline has created, I wouldn't mind a visit.

Also, I would have given it 5 stars but there was too much unnecessary angsty teen drama in the book for my liking. ( )
  KatieEmilySmith | Sep 23, 2014 |
4.5 Stars

What a fun read! 80's nostalgia mixed with virtual reality from the the 2040's turned out to be something a I really enjoyed. Now don't get me wrong, this is not the book if you are looking for literary fiction and I am pretty sure it was not written to be. It is what I like to call escapist fiction (books written that spur your imagination).

It regales in references from 1980's television, movies, music, books and (especially) video games so if you are a fan of this decade (or even if you were just along for the ride), you will find lot's of familiar names to stimulate memories that make you smile (or at least they did for me). In addition, the main theme of the story is a virtual reality world that is an expanded (and greatly enhanced) version of a MMORPG.

I can recommend this book any fan for "fun read" science fiction or fantasy. I will look to read additional content by the author.

ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
Really a youth sci fi book, but also a paean to 1980s geek culture. I would have liked it more if I were really steeped in all things geek back then (I'm a few years older than the author, so I never got into the anime craze, etc. But I remember lots of the movies and TV shows referenced).

Cool concept, well fleshed out. It imagines a world in which a virtual reality game has basically sucked up everything, leaving lots of people living only for the fantasy world... but it's not clear that that is a bad thing! Great companion to The Unincorporated Man, which includes reference to a history in which virtual reality destroyed the world economy. It seems to be doing the same thing here, but strangely that's not what the book is about! Maybe in a sequel. ( )
  DanTarlin | Sep 18, 2014 |
Tons of fun. As a child of the 80's and a (reformed ha!) gamer, this book was highly enjoyable despite some plot weaknesses here and there. Loved it. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Through five chapters it reads like a Cory Doctorow novel with the didactic bits excised. That isn't actually a bad thing, even though I prefer CD's work. This is an excellent YA TITLE & Wil Wheaton is the ideal narrator.

At the end, the whole thing held up well. It really was a geek-nostalgia love-fest, but it didn't. Fail to deliver. Light reading for certain, but good light reading. I'll be looking forward to seeing what Mr. Klein does w/ his career. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible