No title (2011)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Characters have to solve a mystery left by a deceased (fictional) creative artist; similar reference name-dropping, obsession with details and re-creations
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.

English (647)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (660)
As a child of the 80's and a computer game geek I loved this book. I'm not a reader of sci-fi or fantasy at all but this is such a good story with lashings of nostalgia that I just couldn't put it down. In fact I was so excited when I got the 'neglected house' clue I had to disturb my husband at work in order to tell him. It's official I'm a NERD. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
YA recommendation for those who like video games or secret puzzles. ( )
  cartieraf1 | Feb 18, 2017 |
takes the first 70-80 pages to get going, using those number of pages for context and backstory. (Where was his editor?) Gamer geeks will love it. It's a little light on the plot, 90% of which takes place in cyberspace, so again, if you're not a hardcore gamer freak, you're going to find yourself frustrated at the lack of human action. ( )
  Chaya_Nebel | Feb 15, 2017 |
Many people have talked about this book in glowing terms. The main point people made was that it was a nostalgia-pack for those who played computer games in the 1980s. As I did not play many video games in that decade I thought I would be a bit lost, but I was wrong. Not only does the book talk about video games, but it also references music tracks and films. I faired best with remembering the films, and remembered many of the earlier computer game consoles and computers.

Do not let the talk of video games put you off, or mislead you too much. This is an entertaining story about life in a tough time, socially challenged people escaping the harshness of life in the real world by immersing themselves in a virtual universe where they can make friends, and, as the cover states, it is a battle between good and evil.

I didn't find any significant quotable quotes that were not quotes from films of yesteryear, but I did enjoy the read. If this book had any underlying messages, they are, "it's good to have friends" and "get out more".

Part Two of the book is headed with a quote from Groucho Marx that is worth repeating: "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."

I give this book a solid four stars and I will probably watch the film when it comes out. I may not go to the cinema to see it, but then that would be in keeping with the ambiance of the story. ( )
2 vote pgmcc | Feb 4, 2017 |
I don't mind futuristic books ; but I couldn't get past chapter 1. I believe in free speech, but I don't have to read it. When he bashed God, that did it for me. Even though this was a book club book, I chose not to read it and read GREAT books instead. ( )
  travelgal | Feb 3, 2017 |
"Cline is an awe-inspiring vault of ‘80s trivia and miscellany, and from the novel’s opening pages to its intense, action-packed finale, he expertly weaves his knowledge into the story in a way that’s somehow both deliriously entertaining and also integral to the plot."

Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spini, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,557,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible