Ready player one by Ernest Cline

Ready player one (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ernest Cline

3,5244041,499 (4.22)3 / 458
Member:karenb
Title:Ready player one
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:New York : Crown Publishers, c2011.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read 2012, SFF, games, contests, intergalactic internet, school, avatars, online personae, teenagers, pop culture, read 1980s, book group

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Author) (2011)

1980s (74) 2011 (48) 2012 (68) 2013 (25) 80s (42) adventure (56) audiobook (42) cyberpunk (75) dystopia (180) dystopian (39) ebook (68) fantasy (32) fiction (314) future (43) games (32) gaming (77) goodreads (28) Kindle (48) novel (33) pop culture (60) read (61) read in 2011 (26) read in 2012 (41) read in 2013 (31) science fiction (582) sf (69) to-read (201) video games (136) virtual reality (125) young adult (30)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.

English (399)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (404)
One of the most fascinating novels I've read in quite some time. Probably best appreciated by those born between around 1965-1972 who were teenagers in the early 1980s. Innovative and very entertaining. ( )
  psmithkent | Jul 13, 2014 |
80's awesomeness!

I can admit to it. I was out-nerded. Big time.
I was a child of the 80's. I watched the movies, played (some of) the games, listened to the music, but I was unprepared for the depth of knowledge of the era needed to solve the puzzles in this book, and in a way, I am glad. It means that I spent enough time outside.

_Ready Player One_ follows our hero Wade/Parzival through the ultimate gaming quest, to find the "Easter Egg" in the largest immersive online gaming platform ever created, the OASIS. An orphaned kid from a trailer park, competing against the world for the big prize. Who couldn't root for this guy?!

The plot follows the arc of an 80's movie perfectly; absentee adult figures, wiz kid gamer, near-impossible quest, real and virtual world threats, mayhem, death, teamwork/sacrifice, and eventual triumph (complete with girl and substitute father figure grinning beatifically). Man, does Ernest Cline deliver! I even admit to tearing up a little at the final sentence - such a perfect wrap. Roll credits now...

The nostalgia level is high, as is the level of nerdiness needed to catch the bare minimum of references necessary to hang, so I would recommend this book specifically to gamers/SciFi and 80's movie buffs in the 35-45 range. Better know your cartoons, amine, D&D, video games (and systems), music, and 80's teen movies... or have a reliable search engine at your disposal. Also recommended for select teens (you'll know them when you see them), but probably not middle schoolers or below due to language/allusions. Overall, a highly enjoyable read. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jul 12, 2014 |
Una historia maravillosa pero que por momentos se me hacía pesada, y no por las inmensa cantidad de referencias a los 80's -eso realmente me gustó y es parte del encanto-, si no por la también inmensa cantidad de detalladas descripciones, que hacen que el libro parezca más un libreto que otra cosa. Que es por lo mismo que creo que la adaptación cinematográfica va a ser genial y, aunque aun no han anunciado una posible fecha de estreno, la espero con ansias. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Alot of fun, read the whole book in 2 sessions. ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
This book was truly dreadful, the only reason my husband and I finished was because I read it aloud on a long car trip and we took to mocking it with added lines and created a drinking game from its repetition of words and phrases like "classic", "vintage", and "one of Halliday's favorites". Had we actually been drinking rather than miming, we would have been dead within two chapters. The basic plot is cribbed off of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, endless references to 80's pop cultural artifacts are substituted for creativity, and the main character is utterly unlikable. There were a few points where the author might have taken the literary road slightly less traveled, but he plays it straight (and cliched) every time.

I am loathe to skip anything when reading, but after the third straight chapter of near-endless infodump my husband insisted we jump forward to the point where something actually happens. Dialogue reads like a thirteen-year-old boy's IM conversation, and as an MMO player I would certainly know.

I picked this book up because I read to my husband on long trips, and having finished our last series we were looking for something new. This seemed perfect: gamer geekdom, D&D, epic quests, 80's stuff...we love all of those things and are deeply immersed in that culture.

Sadly, it turned out to be an overhyped litany of loosely-related 80's creative properties linked by a threadbare plot and the occasional political/environmentalist diatribe. Spend a little time in the real world Cline, and less time patting yourself on the back for being smarter/more informed than everyone else. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,462,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible