Ready player one by Ernest Cline

Ready player one (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ernest Cline

5,639594756 (4.21)3 / 591
Member:karenb
Title:Ready player one
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:New York : Crown Publishers, c2011.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read 2012, SFF, games, contests, intergalactic internet, school, avatars, online personae, teenagers, pop culture, read 1980s, book group

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    .hack//Legend of the Twilight, Volume 1 by Tatsuya Hamazaki (Mind_Booster_Noori)

English (582)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (591)
In a dystopian future, rampant poverty and crime can only be escaped through digital escapism. An unbelievable contest involving 1980s pop culture will give control of the virtual world to the winner. Good for high school. Recommend to students who enjoy speculative fiction and/or video games. Compare/contrast with postapocalyptic/dystopian tales, such as Divergent, Ship Breaker, or short stories from After. Or compare with stories about high-stakes contests, such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. ( )
  KristineCA | Apr 26, 2016 |
A fun novel about 80s trivia set in a virtual reality gaming world pitting the lowly gamer with the corrupt corporation. The main thing about enjoying this book is not too think too much. Just go in expecting a light, fun read. There are a lot of great, exciting moments and gratifying references that keep it really entertaining. The writing is okay, as Ernest Cline decides to explain us the world, instead of showing it too us. The beginning really feels like a video game review or a game manual. It does get better though. The romance is cute in a bit childish way. The protagonist's actions sometimes don't make any sense, but then again don't think too much. Overall I enjoyed it.

The audiobook is narrated by Wil Wheaton who does a great job of pacing and enunciating that it is easy to follow the narrative. All of the character's voices are spoken roughly the same though. The book is mainly a first person view with a lot of reflection, so there isn't really that much dialogue to make it difficult to follow. ( )
  renbedell | Apr 25, 2016 |

Originally posted here

The future dystopian world painted in Ready Player One was so interesting, Earth seems to be dying and it is such a shame that the reader doesn't really learn much more about it. The virtual world of OASIS is humanity's escape from the depressing reality of life in 2044 and that is a future I can honestly envision happening. Hell, sign me up! The world in 2016 isn't the greatest place and I would have loved to have the awesome OASIS education that Wade experienced. Learning about space by being transported to a virtual solar system that looks exactly like the real deal, heck yes! Fabulous virtual world building aside, there are quite a few downsides to this book.

Wade is an annoying protagonist, I just have to say it. He is just brilliant at everything he sets out to do, some of the stuff he does is executed flawlessly because he is a very special snowflake. Very special snowflakes aren't my favourite kind of character to say the least. The romance in this book was just so toe-curling and cringe worthy. Mega ick. I could never forget to include the most irritating thing about the whole book for me, and that was the 1980s. I do not give a flying fudge about the eighties, I did recognise some references but most of the time I was trying to stifle massive yawns. I'm sorry but I honestly do not believe for a second that anything from the eighties was better then everything else that has ever or will exist. Ready Player One is a giant love letter to the eighties and if you enjoy that kind of thing it's the perfect book.

Despite everything that I hated about this book, I still liked it a whole lot. I loved the premise of the ultimate egg hunt and the perfect portrayal of the evil corporation. I just wish there was more detail about the neglected world outside of OASIS and how it got that way. I'm sure the movie will be epic. ( )
  4everfanatical | Apr 22, 2016 |
I can remember when my father first took me into the Data General lab where he worked and sat me down to play Adventure while he worked. This story brought out all those early geek memories for me. If you grew up with the dawn of the home computing age and loved stories like The Matrix, this bookbis one you MUST read. ( )
  J.Riley.Castine | Apr 21, 2016 |
I'm not a gamer, but I really liked this book. A friend told me Wil Wheaton reads the audio version. Good choice. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 12, 2016 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rothfuss, PatrickIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible