Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ernest Cline, Will Wheaton (Narrator)

4,0714541,247 (4.21)3 / 491
Member:mirrordrum
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline
Other authors:Will Wheaton (Narrator)
Info:audible.com from Random House Audio, 15 hrs. 46 min.
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Wil Wheaton, dystopia, virtual utopia, coming-of-age, geeks, 1980s

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Author) (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)

English (443)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (449)
I'm not sure what I was expecting from this - other than a letdown after the glowing reviews I've read - but Ready Player One far surpassed my expectations and then some. It had everything: puzzles, romance (and it wasn't forced or obnoxious either), genuine diversity, every fandom under the sun, 80s references, and Wil Wheaton. I couldn't not like it! There were a few times when I thought the plot was falling wildly off-track, but when it all came together with a literal deus ex machina I couldn't bother to be bothered by the little things.

I started this at noon today for National Readathon Day and haven't done a thing since then. Absolute A+ from me. Now excuse me while I go do chores and other 'normal' things that I've neglected for the last seven hours. ( )
  strongasanoak | Jan 24, 2015 |
One of the best books I have read this year! Great combination of video games, puzzles, action and adventure.
If you like 80's pop culture get ready for a bunch of references!!!
A must read! ( )
  KatesReviews | Jan 24, 2015 |
Description: At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, READY PLAYER ONE is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.

It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune—and remarkable power—to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday’s riddles are based in the pop culture he loved—that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday’s icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes’s oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt—among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life—and love—in the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.

A world at stake.
A quest for the ultimate prize.

Thoughts: I'm still a little unsure how I feel about this book. I thought sleeping on it might help me put my thoughts into coherent phrases but I don't think it helped much.

On the one hand, I devoured this, listening to it in just over 2 days. That has NEVER happened before. Audiobooks are usually for those in-between moments like driving or lying in bed before sleep. I actually sat on my couch for the better part of two days and just listened to this book. It was weird.

On the other, there were countless times while I was listening that I thought to myself, "This is ridiculous. Why am I listening to these characters ramble on and on about 70s and 80s computer and gaming technology that I couldn't care less about?"

I think, when I get down to the heart of it, I appreciate a story that is very different than most of those available today. I also enjoy an underdog story, a story of some nobody pitting their self against a huge conglomerate entity. In the first chapters I was wholeheartedly on Wade's side.

I think had the story stayed more in the vein of the first chapters, I would have been a huge fan. There was this interesting and impressive balance between the real world and how hard it was for Wade (and millions of others) and the beauty and benefit of the OASIS. That Wade was a creature of both at the same time was very compelling. But when the story took a turn decidedly INTO the OASIS and all it's inherent "perks" I was almost completely turned off by the story. I couldn't relate. I couldn't see how this bit of story about owning a digital asteroid and going to the best parties and turning into FUCKING MERMAID RAVERS had anything to do with saving the digital world from bad guys or being an authentic person in cyber space or felt based in the reality/surreality that Cline had been creating, the one that had me hooked.

Ultimately, I think the thing that really bothered me the most was that this is almost my worst nightmare. As much as my life is online now, as removed from the real world as I can be at times, at no point have I ever wanted to live inside the net. Places like SecondLife and MMORPGs have never held any allure for me. What I really want is for the social world I have found inside the net to be manifest somewhere in the real world. I want all of you and all my other internet friends to live in some nice little town somewhere that we've made perfect. But the idea of abandoning this world for some world in cyberspace... it just does not sit well with me.

Especially a world that lives almost entirely in the past. The kids in this story are arguably brilliant and fascinating. The fact, however, that they spend their lives memorizing stupid 80s trivia and researching every single Rush song ever written is just the most depressing thing ever. Where is their capacity for creativity? Why couldn't the competition be about pushing boundaries and finding solutions to problems? Why mire these beautiful minds and the energies of millions of people all over the world in the muck of whether or not Ladyhawke was a good movie? It was so so so so so depressing.

So. How do I balance the weird compulsion I had to listen listen listen until it was done with the disgust I felt for the world itself and the asinine 80s shit? I don't know. Part of me really appreciates what Cline was doing. But a large part of me just doesn't get it. Or want to all that much.

I'm so very confused.

Rating: 3.41

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3
Audio: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4728199 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
It is a good book. The end was pretty surprising. I had stayed up late reading this book, it was an addicting read. ( )
  YOUR_NAME_HERE | Jan 20, 2015 |
Well, I gave it a go, devoted an hour or two to trying to get into it, and it just didn't happen. The premise of the book is interesting, and even the details I picked up in my reading attempt, but the author describes everything like an IT tech telling a clueless computer user how to access the internet ... it just reads far too much like an instruction manual and (I don't know about you but) I always skip those when I can. ( )
  Xandylion | Jan 19, 2015 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,082,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible