Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Ernest Cline, Will Wheaton (Narrator)

5,323565827 (4.22)3 / 579
Member:mirrordrum
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline
Other authors:Will Wheaton (Narrator)
Info:audible.com from Random House Audio, 15 hrs. 46 min.
Tags:audiobook, audible.com, Wil Wheaton, dystopia, virtual utopia, coming-of-age, geeks, 1980s

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    .hack//Legend of the Twilight, Volume 1 by Tatsuya Hamazaki (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)

English (555)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (564)
This is absolutely the best book I have read this year. It has instantly jumped to my top 10 books of all time. It was an exciting read that brought back so many memories. If your formative years were the eighties, you will enjoy the trip this book will take you on. If you were a geek, a nerd, or just a plain freak during that time, you will love this book.
It brought up memories of the very first time I played D&D in my friend's dimly lit basement. The wonder and the endless possibilities that were presented to me. My world changed at that moment and it was nice to remember what that felt like.
I so want to gather up a bucket of quarters and seek out the classic games that I have long forgotten.
I am looking forward to see what Ernest Cline has in store for us next.
BTW... I firmly believe that the IOI is Apple. Apple is the embodiment of evil! ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Loved this book! It is set in a future where most people spend their lives in a virtual reality world called the Oasis. The real world has been completely neglected and is over crowded and falling into ruin. The genius who created the Oasis dies and leaves behind a puzzle. The person who finds the egg and solves the puzzle will inherit the fortune he left behind and control of the Oasis. Solving the puzzles will require extensive knowledge of the creator and the decade he loved, the 1980's. This book was a fun, quick read. The 80's references were fun and just when I thought I knew what was going to happen, well, you'll see.... ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Wil Wheaton (yes, the very one!). Ernest Cline must have grown up in the '80s, because this book is a tribute and high five to the pop culture of that decade, from movies to music and especially video games. Geeks of all stripes--computer, gaming, role-playing--will be immersed in Wade's world and the lure of living in the Oasis, and they'll likely look up many of the influential works that Wade passionately refers to. ("War Games" among them, my fave!) Wil Wheaton gives perfect and picturesque voice to Wade, a young man absorbed in the online world and focused on Halliday's contest, but who also has a sense of burgeoning humanity in the real world. Although I am no gaming freak, I enjoyed being in Wade's world and hearing all the pop cultural stuff I grew up with. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Enjoyable romp through 80s popular culture. ( )
  kale.dyer | Feb 2, 2016 |
4.5 really. Totally awesome book for anyone who experienced the 80's. I was not a big gamer, but I hung with guys that played games so I could relate to a lot of it. I was surprised at the strength of anime in the 70's and 80's, I thought it was a more recent thing, but hey, what did I know of the world at that time. The tag of sci-fi or dystopian is almost not relevant here - to me anyway - we are so close to the technological bits...it seems just a few steps away. I really liked the part where he got a real gun...seems like the safeguards that were built in would be a pretty darn useful thing today...just sayin'. Don't avoid this book because you don't think you like the genre - I think it transcends genre. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rothfuss, PatrickIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible