Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline

3,6094141,459 (4.22)3 / 460
Member:KatlinelB5
Title:Ready Player One: A Novel
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:Broadway (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 384 pages

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Author) (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.

English (408)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (413)
Honestly? What was the fuss about? I thought the premise was good but it dragged. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 21, 2014 |
Fantastic!

Great premise, great story. This book was pure joy from the first page to the last.

Any computer nerds like me that spent the 80s playing games like Black Tiger, pac man, various text adventures; watching anime, saturday morning cartoons; movies like war games and back to the future...
...then this book is for you.

If you weren't into your Atari 2600, C64, coin ops, and your obsure 80s trivia then potentially this book may not be your thing, but I would say there is still much to enjoy regardless of the nostalgia factor. The characters are fun, the story is interesting and you're taken on a long and varied adventure.

5 stars. A great and entertaining book.

JohnEKerry | Aug 20, 2014 |
This book/movie was friggin awesome. I say /movie because it was so visually awesome I felt like I was watching it on IMAX.

I was born in 1980 but had a brother born in 1972 so everything that was 80's was in my face as a kid. This was a real geeky experience and I loved every second of it.

It was one of those books I was surprised at not having spotted years before and after picking it up online, I picked an crappy soft cover for the airplane and then a 1st Edition Hard Cover for the top shelf and future signing.

It's the sort of book whereby if you like the first page you will love the rest and if you don't like the first page, don't be a douche, read another one and then you will be sucked in. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
Will Wheaton was the perfect reader & is actually mentioned by his real name in the story. If you don't know who I'm talking about, then don't bother reading the book or this review. I don't think anyone who isn't into video games or a bit of an SF nerd will get much out of this. It's probably best if you grew up in the 80's, too. Those of us who are a bit older (OK, quite a bit. My kids grew up in the 80's.) but somewhat geeky will also love it.

This had it all - a dystopian world of the near future, social issues, a romance, & fantastic adventure, all set to a backdrop of an 80's geekfest. Early video games figure in prominently along with the music & movies of the decade; War Games, Rush, Star Wars, Zork, Joust, and Blade Runner.

My biggest complaint with the book was redundancy. Cline was too thorough about explaining everything & if there was any chance the idiot reader might not have grasped it the first time, he told me a second time. Drove me a little crazy at times. C'mon! This was a book for nerds. Anyone who can't remember how Joust works needs to play a game again. There's an online version here:
Seriously, that's just one of the sites that comes up. Most of these old games are free online, simply google it.

The book wasn't perfect. It had some issues with a variety of items & pulled off a few cheap shots in the story line. I didn't care much for the way his big infiltration was handled, for instance. Nor how H traveled around in the RV when the bus required a hit team or some of the other tech details, but it was a fun romp. I just went with it & enjoyed. I actually kind of got several of the clues, like Captain Crunch, which made it even more fun.

Overall, it had a great message, too. It is easy to get lost online & ignore the real world even today.

That's just sad, but true. If I was raising a teen today, I'd probably break their phone. Thankfully for my kids, I only stomped one calculator & occasionally took away their computers. Much cheaper.

Anyway, it was great fun & I highly recommend letting Will read it for you. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

NERDALICIOUS and TOTALLY RAD.

Review to come. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,139,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible