Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline

3,6344161,451 (4.22)3 / 462
Member:jlid
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:Arrow (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Read in 2013, cyberpunk, dystopia, online, Internet, virtual reality, games, 1980s, geek

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Author) (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven)
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (one-horse.library)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm (Bantam Spectra Book) by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    The Blackouts by Robert Brockway (one-horse.library)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Life in Outer Space by Melissa Keil (bluepolicebox)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Strange Flesh by Michael Olson (InvisiblerMan)
    Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Another cyberpunk story set decades in the future, but one that revolves around Disney World rather than the 1980s.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (freddlerabbit)
    The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang (amysisson)
    amysisson: Different type of look at a virtual (Second Life style) environment, and where it might lead.

English (411)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (416)
Absolutely fantastic book. If you enjoy gaming, the 80's, or a dystoptian future scape this book is for you. I found its relevance to today's news unsettling but it does show the perceptiveness of the author. Overall, a fantastic read and I really couldn't put it down the entire time I read. ( )
  tklos88 | Aug 27, 2014 |
No, this book is not perfect. It's actually pretty far from perfect and, being an annoying person as I am, I found a couple of story tweaks that I couldn't just let go. But you know what? I forgive all the defects. I forgive them all. Because for a very, very long time, I haven't read a book that was as good as this one. A book that actually gave me a feeling of comfort. A book that made me feel at home. And the experience it gave me, it was marvelous, glorious and fantastic.

I didn't give much importance to it at first just by reading the reviews and summary. And to be honest, I didn't quite care for the book in the beginning. At first, you'll think it is just one of those generic dystopia books. But as read the book and find reference of things that you actually know (and even love), you grow fond of it. When you least expect it, Ready Player One has already become part of you. And even if you don't really like the characters, the universe described in Ready Player One is not only ridiculously familiar, but also... cozy, in a way. It just felt like I have been there before. That I heard all the songs the author mentioned, that I have already played all those games, watched all those movies, read all those books.
You know what's worse? The story only gets better. The references only get better. Tension grows. You feel compelled to keep reading and reading and never stop until you reach the last page.

I don't think I am even able to explain how much I liked this book. I'm already missing OASIS and all of its awesomeness. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
I just finished this and it was fantastic. It wasn't anything deep and profound but it's a fun roller coaster adventure that brings you back in time (even though the book is set in the future). If you didn't grow up in the 80's you might not get all the references and it might not make your nostalgic heart flutter BUT if you did... you will love this book. The Author did an amazing job fitting in so many geeky things I found so dear throughout my life that it's almost like he traveled through my past. Not only is extremely nostalgic but it has great character development and a plot that keeps you wanting more. Every geek who has a soft spot for text adventure games, cheesy movies from the 80's and just plain loves a good adventure book should read this... NOW. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Honestly? What was the fuss about? I thought the premise was good but it dragged. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 21, 2014 |
Fantastic!

Great premise, great story. This book was pure joy from the first page to the last.

Any computer nerds like me that spent the 80s playing games like Black Tiger, pac man, various text adventures; watching anime, saturday morning cartoons; movies like war games and back to the future...
...then this book is for you.

If you weren't into your Atari 2600, C64, coin ops, and your obsure 80s trivia then potentially this book may not be your thing, but I would say there is still much to enjoy regardless of the nostalgia factor. The characters are fun, the story is interesting and you're taken on a long and varied adventure.

5 stars. A great and entertaining book.

JohnEKerry | Aug 20, 2014 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

Cline, ErnestAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"An exuberantly realized, exciting, and sweet-natured cyber-quest. Cline's imaginative and rollicking coming-of-age geek saga has a smash-hit vibe."--Booklist, starred review "Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible