Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline

6,176626660 (4.2)3 / 613
Member:jlid
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:Arrow (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Read in 2013, cyberpunk, dystopia, online, Internet, virtual reality, games, 1980s, geek

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Recently added byArl_Fish, vda, tralliott, private library, KaiaSH, PurpleHat, coffeelegs, BenKline
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (ryvre)
    ryvre: Fans of pop culture nostalgia will love both of these books!
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    .hack//Legend of the Twilight, Volume 1 by Tatsuya Hamazaki (Mind_Booster_Noori)

English (614)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (625)
This was the most entertaining book I've read in a while.

More? Oh ok, The premise is interesting and i really got invested in the trials and hardships of the main characters. Many people have told me that knowing a lot about gaming (video games and tabletop) are essential to really getting into this book, and I might agree. I have enough background in the sort of pop culture that this book is about that I was sucked in immediately. I can see where it would get confusing if these things aren't your favorite things however. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
It deals a lot with computers and computer games and I'm a little old for that. But after a short time, that wasn't a distraction as it really pulls you in. Very entertaining. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Not worth the time. I didn't hate it. People like this because of the constant nerdy 80's references that are layered over the dull, flat story, notably awful character development, and lifelessly utilitarian prose.

I gave it a star for constantly referencing things I like in pleasantly elitist, narcissistic ways. I felt like I was in a club, but I didn't really want to be in the club that much. It was just okay there.

Thanks for telling me to stop reading, Emily Jane. I wish people would tell me to stop wasting my time more often. Maybe I should tell me. I'll tell you. Don't waste your time. This book will waste it. ( )
1 vote valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |
Because of my interest in video games i was intrigued when I saw "Ready player one". I liked the book but I didn't love it, mainly because I had really high expectations for it. There are a lot of references to "nerdy" things from the 80's, not only video-game related ones but TV, music ect. I understood most of it but some of it I didn't. Also I thought that it got a little over the top sometimes, but overall i liked it and if you like 80's pop culture and sci-fi go for it!
  Tantfluff | Sep 6, 2016 |
This was a fun book. Anyone that grew up in the 80's, as Halliday and I did, will love the references...Max Headroom, Star Wars, Monty Python, Atari, Pac Man, BASIC, War Games, D&D, etc. I recommend this book to all Generation X'ers! ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
"Cline is an awe-inspiring vault of ‘80s trivia and miscellany, and from the novel’s opening pages to its intense, action-packed finale, he expertly weaves his knowledge into the story in a way that’s somehow both deliriously entertaining and also integral to the plot."

Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brand, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowler, RalphDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massey, JimCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rothfuss, PatrickIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,275,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible