Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline

6,855672536 (4.2)3 / 669
Member:jlid
Title:Ready Player One
Authors:Ernest Cline
Info:Arrow (2012), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Read in 2013, cyberpunk, dystopia, online, Internet, virtual reality, games, 1980s, geek

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Recently added byRena37, private library, jevins, wpriory, ciyoda, Catelam, FlowerTaisen, DoddSue
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (kale.dyer)
    kale.dyer: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Characters have to solve a mystery left by a deceased (fictional) creative artist; similar reference name-dropping, obsession with details and re-creations
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)

English (658)  Spanish (4)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All (671)
I ended up liking this a LOT more than I thought I would. The '80s and '90s pop culture references get piled on to an annoying degree in the first half of the book, but they drop off just before -- and I mean JUST before -- they get to the point where they'd be enough of an irritant to make you stop reading. ( )
  Hellblazer | Apr 18, 2017 |
As a self-proclaimed, card-carrying geek who spent most of the 80's in high school and then college, Ready Player One reads very much like a love-letter to a decade I enjoyed a great deal. Video-games, role-playing-games, music, movies, TV - all of these things shaped the person I am today and are at the very foundation of this novel.

In this version of the future, everyone spends a lot of time wired into the OASIS, a virtual reality game world that is perfect for escape. This makes a good real-world analogy to the world-wide-web and how people today are very wired in via their smart-phones and computers. Wade and his fellow "gunters" (online treasure hunters) seek the "holy grail", a prize left behind by the OASIS designer upon his death.

I had fun trying to decipher the clues along with Wade, moving from one phase of the contest to the next. I was okay with some of his detailed explanations of some of the references - a lot of readers might not have all these things committed to their trivia centers like me and my friends typically do. Also, I could picture myself and my high school best-friend John going through this kind of adventure (we would have eaten it up back in the day and many of the references reminded me of those good times).

In the end, it has a great message - one that we should all take to heart. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
This book received such great praise from so many different arenas (Modern Mrs Darcy podcast, my library's Best Books You Didn't Read: 2011 and a featured selection from Book of the Month club in 2016) that I thought the universe was telling me something. It did - just not in the way I expected.

I really wanted to like this book; I plowed through it thinking it would get better and it never did in my opinion. Reading this book was akin to watching a video game - the characters could do anything without reality being impacted. Since I never saw the movie Tron, i assume Ready Player One is the written version of that movie.

This book was boring - and I grew up in the 80's! I understood most of the cultural references and it was still boring. The characters were one dimensional (pardon the pun) and while there was growth at the end for the main character, it didn't seem like an evolution but more as a challenge to win a game instead of change & growth.

This book is the perfect example of how some people love a book and others don't - isn't that great. I love reading just for this reason alone. ( )
  mfbarry | Apr 11, 2017 |
This is a fun read that everyone should read but especially lovers of all things 80s. I listened to the audio book read by Will Wheaton who is also mentioned in the book. A story about gaming but you don't need to be a gamer, like gaming or have knowledge of gaming to enjoy this book. This is the classic good vs evil story that made the New York Times bestseller as a hardback, paperback and trade paperback. It won awards; The Alex Award and the Prometheus Award. Reportedly by Wikipedia, a movie by Spielberg is on the way with a scheduled release in 2018. Should make for lots of sitting on the edge of your seat action. The story is set in a dystopian world, United States with characters hardly leaving the web for anything but eating and sleeping and probably not much of the latter. ( )
  Kristelh | Apr 5, 2017 |
Amazing! The book is great fun, but if you were a teenager in the 80's, then the book upgrades to ridiculously fun. I actually strongly recommend the audio book version for this title - Wil Wheaton's narration and voice acting are superb and really enhance the story. ( )
  S.D.Falchetti | Apr 4, 2017 |
"Cline is an awe-inspiring vault of ‘80s trivia and miscellany, and from the novel’s opening pages to its intense, action-packed finale, he expertly weaves his knowledge into the story in a way that’s somehow both deliriously entertaining and also integral to the plot."

Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spini, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday's fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."--Chris Schluep, Amazon Best Book of the Month.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,798,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible