The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to…

The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and… (2011)

by Michael Shermer

This book is a quick read and a nice intro into how we can trick ourselves into believing what we want to believe. However, if you have read any of Shermer's books, you have pretty much read them all. I didn't find much of anything new here. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
This is a truly ambitious work that attempts to bring an understanding to why and how we form our beliefs and rationalize them. The book goes through the ways in which we form beliefs and then find ways to justify those beliefs. Mr. Shermer's theory attempt to persuade us that this is in fact the default human behavior, that rational scientific thought is actually harder for us. And looking at the range of science denialism I see in the world today this seems to make some sense. Several different types of belief systems are covered, from the typical religious belief to conspiracy theories and aliens, with a focus within each type of belief on how our brain seeks patterns and gives agent to those patterns.

I feel that the book presents a significant argument that we do indeed form our beliefs first, and rationalize them after the fact, even the most dedicated scientist. And this is why the use of the scientific method and constant peer review is essential to the process of revealing the real facts and truths about the universe in which we live. It's just too easy as individuals to get caught up in what we want to be true instead of what is.

The end of the book goes through a review of our current scientific beliefs and how we got to the point we are now. Here Mr. Shermer uses what was discussed previously in the book to show how old beliefs continue to hold sway and are difficult to overcome even in the light of new evidence.

I found this book to be a fascinating must read for anyone who ponders the questions of how we think and believe within our minds. ( )
  speljamr | Mar 19, 2014 |
It's a decent book, but I am very happy this was just a kindle book, and not one on my bookshelf. I ended up skimming through parts of the book, because it just didn't hold my attention. It's a bit repetitive, and I'd probably have liked it more if I knew less about the field. He knows his stuff, and he makes good points, but I'd have rather had less of it. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 27, 2013 |
Absolutely loved this book and consider it a "must-read" for everyone! Michael Shermer does an excellent job of explaining how human beings are hard-wired to believe. His focus is not so much on the "what" but more the "why". For example, when discussing conspiracy theories, his goal isn't to debunk any one in particular. It's more to explain why conspiracy theories in general get a hold of us so easily. Read this and you'll never look at your beliefs in the same way again! ( )
  westcoastnerd | Sep 19, 2013 |
Michael Shermer is an editor of Skeptic Magazine and has been fighting against non-scientific method based “facts” for many years. His latest book explains how humans have evolved to form beliefs first and then find evidence that supports those beliefs. He looks at how beliefs are formed and refutes the methods many believers use to “prove” those beliefs in regards to several very interesting topics, such as alien abduction, the paranormal, religion, and conspiracy theories. I think his books are fascinating. He can also be seen on YouTube giving a TED talk on some of these subjects. ( )
  michellebarton | Jun 11, 2013 |

Bestselling author Michael Shermer's comprehensive and provocative theory on how beliefs are born, formed, reinforced, challenged, changed, and extinguished.

In this work synthesizing thirty years of research, psychologist, historian of science, and the world's best-known skeptic Michael Shermer upends the traditional thinking about how humans form beliefs about the world. Simply put, beliefs come first and explanations for beliefs follow. The brain, Shermer argues, is a belief engine. From sensory data flowing in through the senses, the brain naturally begins to look for and find patterns, and then infuses those patterns with meaning. Our brains connect the dots of our world into meaningful patterns that explain why things happen, and these patterns become beliefs. Once beliefs are formed the brain begins to look for and find confirmatory evidence in support of those beliefs, which accelerates the process of reinforcing them, and round and round the process goes in a positive-feedback loop of belief confirmation. Shermer outlines the numerous cognitive tools our brains engage to reinforce our beliefs as truths.

Interlaced with his theory of belief, Shermer provides countless real-world examples of how this process operates, from politics, economics, and religion to conspiracy theories, the supernatural, and the paranormal. Ultimately, he demonstrates why science is the best tool ever devised to determine whether or not a belief matches reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:26 -0400)

Shermer demonstrates how our brains selectively assess data in an attempt to confirm the conclusions (beliefs) we've already reached. Drawing on evolution, cognitive science, and neuroscience, he considers not only supernatural beliefs but political and economic ones as well.… (more)

163 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,620,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible