The Rights of the People: How Our Search for…

The Rights of the People: How Our Search for Safety Invades Our Liberties

by David K. Shipler

A worrying overview of the erosion of civil rights over the past few years. Some cases seem a bit overdone, but a necessary read. A sobering look at how far we have fallen, and how much liberty has been sacrificed for 'security'. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140004362X, Hardcover)

From the best-selling author of The Working Poor, an impassioned, incisive look at the violations of civil liberties in the United States that have accelerated over the past decade—and their direct impact on our lives.

How have our rights to privacy and justice been undermined? What exactly have we lost? Pulitzer Prize–winner David K. Shipler searches for the answers to these questions by examining the historical expansion and contraction of our fundamental rights and, most pointedly, the real-life stories of individual men and women who have suffered. This is the account of what has been taken—and of how much we stand to regain by protesting the departures from the Bill of Rights.

With keen insight and telling detail, Shipler describes how the Supreme Court’s constitutional rulings play out on the streets as Washington, D.C., police officers search for guns in poor African American neighborhoods, how a fruitless search warrant turns the house of a Homeland Security employee upside down, and how the secret surveillance and jailing of an innocent lawyer result from an FBI lab mistake. Each instance—often as shocking as it is compelling—is a clear illustration of the risks posed to individual liberties in our modern society. And, in Shipler’s hands, each serves as a powerful incitement for a retrieval of these precious rights.

A brilliant, immeasurably important book for our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:17 -0400)

From a Pulitzer Prize winner and the bestselling author of "The Working Poor" comes an impassioned, incisive look at the violations of civil liberties in the United States that have accelerated over the past decade--and their direct impact on our lives.… (more)

2 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible