Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future…

Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future (edition 2011)

by Nick Spencer, Joe Eisma (Illustrator)

Member:callmecayce
Title:Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future
Authors:Nick Spencer
Other authors:Joe Eisma (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2012, young adult, graphic novel, library

Morning Glories Volume 1: For a Better Future by Nick Spencer

I don't even know where to start with this one.

First of all the characters were awful. Each one was so two dimensional and stereotypical, it was hard to take any if them seriously. They were so irritatingly fake that it was hard to get into the story. To make matters worse, the characters point out how stereotypical they are ("Definitely the emo one.") like this somehow will remove the Breakfast Club stereotypes. If anything, I felt like this made the whole thing tacky.

Along those lines, the characters also point out the cliche situations that occur (rom-com meeting between Casey and Hunter). Again, it's like the strategy is to make a book of cliches then make the characters so self aware of these cliches that it somehow doesn't matter. Again, I found this corny and dull.

Secondly, the artwork felt a little bland. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good pieces depicting fight scenes and all the blood that goes with them. But the characters themselves did not seem to get the same amount of attention, especially the females. Jade, Casey, and Zoe all look suspiciously similar. Tall, thin, and conventionally pretty faces. It looks like each character is really the same model with a different hair style and color (and of course Zoe's white washed Indian heritage). Even the older females fit the mold for conventional female beauty (Miss Daramount, creepy nurse) so much so that one has to wonder if a criteria for attending or working in this academy is a certain waist and bust size.

There were also a few inconsistencies in the artwork (Casey's disappearing tights in the scene where she first meets Hunter?), which were minor, but still irritating.

As far as plot goes, a lot of things that happened felt as cliche as the characters. The whole book had a Scooby Doo feel to it, with much more blood of course. Yet there were plot points that caught my attention and kept me wanting more. There was a good balance of problems solved and mysteries left unresolved. I think these mysteries are the only redeeming thing about this whole volume. By the end, I was curious to know what happens next. The time jumps are a little confusing, but overall I think the details of the story work in the book's favor. There is definitely enough cliff hangers and suspenseful moments to keep the reader's interest. ( )
  CareBear36 | Mar 19, 2015 |
Not a great start. Very confusing and I felt I didn't really get to know any of the characters. Don't see me reading anymore in this series. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |
If someone asked me to give them a summary of this book, I would have no words. It is an easy book to read quickly, but it is full of some of the creepiest images I have seen. I'm excited to red the second one. ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |
I love this combination of prep academy meets horror meets mystery meets supernatural.

The first volume does a good job of introducing all the characters, hooking the reader and leaving the story teetering on edge. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
I saw this series pitched as "LOST meets Runaways", a phrase which made me immediately drop what I was doing to check it out for myself. Although Morning Glories quickly spirals off in its own insane directions, it does indeed contain all the secretive mindfuckery of LOST and the troubled teen shenanigans of Runaways.

I loved the series so far, although its twisted nature and often-unlikable characters made me feel like I'm just in it to see will happen next at the worst boarding school ever invented. And despite how much I liked it, I'm hesitant to give a 5-star rating -- it's easy to dig yourself into an intriguing-looking hole of nonsensical mystery, but the hard part is tying it all back together in a satisfying way.

It's unclear now whether the rest of the series will follow through, but there are certainly enough twists and revelations to make this an extremely fun and addictive read.
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |

Spencer, Nickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisma, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Esquejo, RobinCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"I'm sorry about that sir, we just needed to be sure --"
There was an ISBN mix-up so that Nick Spencer's FORGETLESS was solicited on Amazon and BN and so forth as MORNING GLORIES VOLUME 1. Which means that some of the imported information from those sites is wrong. FORGETLESS and MORNING GLORIES should not be combined. Please be careful not to combine them. Thank you.

Top marks at elite

school just means trouble for kids --

creepy mystery.

(legallypuzzled)

Morning Glory Academy is one of the most prestigious prep schools in the country, but something sinister and deadly lurks behind its walls. When six gifted but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and fighting for their lives as the secrets of the academy reveal themselves!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,950,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible