Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future…

Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future (edition 2011)

by Nick Spencer, Joe Eisma (Illustrator)

1921561,408 (3.83)10
Member:callmecayce
Title:Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future
Authors:Nick Spencer
Other authors:Joe Eisma (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2011), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2012, young adult, graphic novel, library

Morning Glories Volume 1: For a Better Future by Nick Spencer

If someone asked me to give them a summary of this book, I would have no words. It is an easy book to read quickly, but it is full of some of the creepiest images I have seen. I'm excited to red the second one. ( )
  marielreads | Jun 20, 2014 |
I love this combination of prep academy meets horror meets mystery meets supernatural.

The first volume does a good job of introducing all the characters, hooking the reader and leaving the story teetering on edge. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
I saw this series pitched as "LOST meets Runaways", a phrase which made me immediately drop what I was doing to check it out for myself. Although Morning Glories quickly spirals off in its own insane directions, it does indeed contain all the secretive mindfuckery of LOST and the troubled teen shenanigans of Runaways.

I loved the series so far, although its twisted nature and often-unlikable characters made me feel like I'm just in it to see will happen next at the worst boarding school ever invented. And despite how much I liked it, I'm hesitant to give a 5-star rating -- it's easy to dig yourself into an intriguing-looking hole of nonsensical mystery, but the hard part is tying it all back together in a satisfying way.

It's unclear now whether the rest of the series will follow through, but there are certainly enough twists and revelations to make this an extremely fun and addictive read.
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
Reading this was, for me, like watching the first season of Lost. It's weird, freaky, and often horrifying, and I'm still not sure what's going on, but I'm totally willing to see where the series is going to go.

Admittedly, I wasn't sure how I felt about this graphic novel at first. In much of the manga I read, characters' expressions are really important. While the colors in Morning Glories are pretty, I thought characters' expressions had a tendency to look stiff or otherwise a bit off. It was also a little hard for me to tell some of the characters apart. For instance, there were multiple girls with black hair that I had to look over a few times, just to make sure they weren't the same girls, or possibly related to the same girls, who appeared in other parts of the volume. Considering that there are at least a couple characters who I think legitimately have doubles (maybe??), I would have appreciated it if all the characters had been easier to tell apart.

The story and setup were so interesting that any issues I had with the artwork seemed minimal. The volume starts off with a scene in a hospital that I still don't understand – nobody's faces are shown, and I have no idea who the “she” being referred to is – and goes right into scenes with characters who, other than Miss Daramount, have yet to show up again. Three pages into a seemingly normal classroom scene (albeit with at least one genius student and a very strict teacher), and readers are treated to an explosion and an escape scene. One of the escapees is gruesomely killed by some guy who can put his hand inside people.

If things had continued this way, I don't think I would have liked Morning Glories very much. It takes more than a freaky, prison-like school with lots of action and possibly paranormal goings on to make something interesting. I was thankful when the story began focusing on the newest crop of students. There were still weird, freaky things going on, but at least one thing, the characters, stayed relatively stable.

Those characters were, for the most part, interesting, or they at least showed the potential to be interesting. Presumably all six new students are geniuses, although only Casey really had a chance to shine in this arena. I don't see myself ever empathizing with Ike, but I imagine he'll be a fascinating character to watch as he tries to survive in a place where it doesn't matter how clever and ruthless he is if he doesn't fit the Academy's mysterious criteria. Jun, Zoe, and Jade may all have some kind of connection to the Academy. Really, the only character who is so far not very interesting is Hunter. It makes me wonder what Spencer plans to do with him. I hope he's not just there to be a possible love interest for Casey.

There are so many strange and/or horrific things going on in this volume that I'm not even sure what to say about it all. The teachers obviously want something from the students and expect to unlock some kind of potential in them. The moment they decide that potential isn't there, they have no problems with killing the students. Whatever it is the teachers are trying to accomplish, it appears to have something to do with a giant spinning object inside the school. Which is maybe connected to some girls who were kept prisoner back in 1490.

It's all confusing and exciting. Whether this series will be a good one or a complete flop will depend entirely on how things shape up in future volumes, but right now things are looking good.

(Original review, with read-alikes and watch-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
Mysterious Refrain: ÛÏFor a better future.‰Û

Secondary Mysterious Refrain: ‰ÛÏThe hour of our release draws near.‰Û

Cover Story: Scooby Gang

There‰Ûªs something stylish yet generic about these teens and their blank haughty expressions (except for Smirky McSmirkster in the corner there). It‰Ûªs like a poster for every CW show ever.

One-Second Booktalk: Six troubled teens enter a super tony prep school only to find out that they cannot leave or communicate with the outside world, while they are treated like experimental subject with ‰ÛÏlessons‰Û that are more like sadistic exercises in psychological torture and survival of the fittest. They are being groomed for something . . . but for what? And why?

Style & Substance:
My enjoyment of this graphic novel is entirely dependent on the following volumes and whether they tighten up this mess of WTF plotlines and start giving answers. Volume One sets up so many mysteries and explains so little that it is almost incomprehensible. The teachers are all psychotic, bent on breaking down their students for some unknown purpose, and they keep discussing needing to find the right one (they keep asking them ‰ÛÏWhat did you see when your eyes were opened?‰Û). The six students are all some kind of scientific, technological, strategic geniuses, and they don‰Ûªt react to situations at all like real people (for example, they all take being imprisoned and experimented upon quite stoically, even when people are murdered or they‰Ûªre almost drowned or shot up with mind-altering drugs). There‰Ûªs a blue ghostly dude who kills people by sticking his hands inside them and ripping them apart and a bald chick held in the secret lab (yes, of course there is a secret lab!) who is also capable of ripping people apart with her superior fighting skills. There‰Ûªs indications she might be from 1490, I don‰Ûªt know. There‰Ûªs a weird religious cult in the basement as well as a mysterious deadly glowing artifact that might be a scientific breakthrough. Somehow, Bell‰Ûªs theorem that all reality must be non-local is really important, too. Oh, and I think one of the students is a shapeshifter. Maybe. He could be a twin or a clone or a look-alike robot, for all I know.

Right now, none of this means anything. It‰Ûªs all just thrown in there willy-nilly with no connecting elements. It‰Ûªs intriguing, yes, but unless the next couple volumes start to tie everything together, it‰Ûªs not worth the time spent puzzling over it.

Finally, the artwork is decent, maybe a little generic but very clear and brightly colored, with good use of space and different panels. (It also shows off the extremely gory scenes well, though I think it‰Ûªs occasionally stiff in depicting character movement.) This was a lot more violent than I expected and the artwork doesn't wimp out.

Recommended for:
People who like Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series. People who like the graphic novel series The Runaways (one of my favorites) and will put up with something not as good in order to have a read-alike. People who thought Lost was too easy to follow. People who like bands of teens with special powers involved in escaping from mysterious scientific/paranormal organizations. Patient people who don‰Ûªt mind not knowing what the hell is going on. People who actually know what Bell's theorem is.
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |

Spencer, Nickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eisma, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Esquejo, RobinCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"I'm sorry about that sir, we just needed to be sure --"
There was an ISBN mix-up so that Nick Spencer's FORGETLESS was solicited on Amazon and BN and so forth as MORNING GLORIES VOLUME 1. Which means that some of the imported information from those sites is wrong. FORGETLESS and MORNING GLORIES should not be combined. Please be careful not to combine them. Thank you.

Top marks at elite

school just means trouble for kids --

creepy mystery.

(legallypuzzled)

Morning Glory Academy is one of the most prestigious prep schools in the country, but something sinister and deadly lurks behind its walls. When six gifted but troubled new students arrive, they find themselves trapped and fighting for their lives as the secrets of the academy reveal themselves!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible