Reached (Matched Trilogy Book 3) by Ally…

Reached (Matched Trilogy Book 3) (edition 2012)

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (3)

Member:readr
Title:Reached (Matched Trilogy Book 3)
Authors:Ally Condie
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Abandoned
Rating:*
Tags:fiction, dystopia, romance, resistance, teen

Reached by Ally Condie

English (77)  German (1)  All languages (78)
Reached is the last book in the Matched trilogy and I am sad to see the series end. I loved the world that Ally Condie created and the story line was interesting and engrossing.

Xander was back and I am all kinds of happy about that! I loved him and missed him in the second book. The dynamic of the overall story seemed incomplete without him and I was happy to see that restored, even if, for much of the book, the three weren't together in interacting. I loved his story in this book as we learn more about what he has been doing during The Rising. To me, he is the hero of the story, the one truly working for the people.

As much as I love Cassia, it almost seemed as if she floundered a bit. She was so adamant about The Rising, about following the path she felt her grandfather wanted her to follow. Yet it seemed as if she forgot about that for awhile and basically worked for herself. I think maybe her character got a little lost and overwhelmed in her isolation. It was kind of a nice character arc to see her get beyond that.

Ky, Ky, Ky. I don't know quite what to think about him. There were some interesting twists with his story, but it honestly felt like he was competely lost. And, unlike Cassia, he never seemed to find his way back.

There were a whole lot of love triangles in this last book and no one ended up with who I thought they would. I am not upset about this, though, because I liked the anticipation.

The only thing I wished it had was a bit of a clue as to how the world would be resolved in the future, along with an answer to a big question... no spoilers!

My Recommendation: I definitely enjoyed this book more than the second, but the first is still my favorite. Overall, this is an excellent series that really makes you think. ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 15, 2014 |
Now back in The Society, Cassia works as a double agent for The Rising, Xander continues in his medic role (also a double agent), and Ky openly flies missions for The Rising. Xander still has feelings for Cassia, but she only has eyes for Ky.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/reached-ally-condie/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
With three tablets, and being told what to do, Cassia Reyes finally stands up and goes to look for a better future. Reached by Ally Condie is the final book in the Matched trilogy. The genre of the book is romance, realistic fiction because it could happen, and it is futuristic based on the events and details in the book.
The books are based off of a love triangle, and the three main characters are Cassia, Ky, and Xander. The setting of the story is hard to describe because the book takes place in the future, and they are more advanced in technology than real life people today. The people call themselves the Society, but it isn’t really like that at all. If you live there there are barely any trees. The people don’t have cars, everyone just travels by train. The land is made up of different surfaces, there are hills, deserts, lakes, and plains, along with cliffs and mountains. Cassia is a curious, spirited girl. She loves poetry, her family, and wants everything to be right in the world. Ky is a shy, intelligent, quiet boy who is an outcast because of where his family lived. Xander is an outgoing, funny, clever character who will do anything to keep his home safe.
In the first book it describes all the laws that the society has. They choose who you marry, what your job is, and where you live. People there are only allowed to have two children, and everyone has to die at eighty years old. Certain people are labeled and then they are restricted against laws. Cassia is paired up with Xander, but when she looks again she sees another face, Ky’s face. Throughout the first two books she learns who she loves and wants to be with. Then when she is separated from him she works to get back to her one true love. Along the way she meets new friends and learns about her past and her people’s past. In the second book there is an illness going around and each of the three main characters play a part in finding a cure leading into the third and final book.
The book seemed a little slow, and there wasn’t enough action to make people want to change it. It just didn’t give itself justice, it could have been better. This is because the author described a lot of the setting without anything happening in that part, and it got to be predictable. The correct audience for this book would probably be middle school students, ages eleven to fourteen. The reason that is because it isn’t a challenging book, it didn’t have difficult words that middle school students wouldn’t know. The author could have livened up the story plot a bit because in the third book everything started to slow down making it become boring. If she had made it more interesting and kept the reader’s attention it would be a very good book.
  DeHa14 | Sep 25, 2014 |
While reading Reached, I had one thought in my head the entire time. Xander, you truly are

If I didn’t feel bad for him already, I did in this book. He loves Cassia and Cassia loves him, but not as much as she loves Ky. In Crossed, Indie loved him, but here; she’s switched teams and joined in on the Ky love train. Then there was Em, who might have been a possibility if she was ever mentioned. And finally, there is Lei, who loves someone else for most of the novel and spends time talking about him or you know, being sick.

Home boy just can't catch a break. After awhile, I got over this feeling, but all that changed when during one of Cassia's chapters she says this:

“I come back to myself as the song ends, when the string makes a sound like hearts breaking. And then I can’t help but look for Xander.”

You know whose heart broke during this scene. Mine did. Sure he’s not jealous anymore, but it’s still incredibly sad.

But Xander being forever alone wasn’t the only thing that happened in Reached; there was an uprising, the pilot showed up, a plague killed people, poems were read, and, we get the added bonus of not having just one, or two, but three different narrators in this novel. All of these are great things, especially for the final book in the trilogy. And while I felt like Reached was the strongest book in this series, it still didn’t wow me.

The Good:

I feel like such a fan girl for mentioning him again, but Xander was my favourite thing in this novel. Yes, I felt sad for him. But I loved how his chapters, for the most part, were never about how he lost Cassia or how much he loved her. It was about helping people or finding a cure to the Plague. He learned some shocking truths about the things that he believed in and yet he kept going. He never gave up, never ran away, he just did what he felt was the right thing. I admire that. Out of all the characters, he was also the one who showed the most growth.

I do like the poetry that is used throughout the series, but sometimes I just want to know what happens and not have a poem stop things. So it was nice that Xander didn’t know any poems and didn’t read any. He just kept being awesome.

Another thing I liked was the Rising, mainly because; they were just like the Society, but in better clothing. The way both sides used one another is quite complex and I wish we spent more time on it. They both did shady things and for their own interests, instead of the interests of the people, and that made both sides look scary. With the Society, you live a peaceful life as long as you don’t overstep the boundaries, but the Rising, you’ll get to do things you’ve always wanted to do, as long as you don’t overstep the boundaries. With the Society, they give the citizens some form or strain of the plague with the blue pills. With the Rising, they give everyone the Plague. What if both are not even at odds with each other and were working together from the very beginning?

Who would you go with then?

I really liked that Condie didn’t make the Rising seem perfect, they were just as horrible as the Society. Granted, we still didn’t get to see a lot of it, but it was good for the most part.

I also liked Lei and felt like she was a great new addition to the cast of characters.

The Okay:

Cassia and Ky and Ky and Cassia, I don’t know what happened to you two crazy kids, but I found myself disappointed with them. I don’t know if it was just me, but once Cassia and Ky declared their love for each other in Matched I wanted them to not be with anyone else after that. So when Cassia kissed Xander in Crossed, I wasn’t okay with that. In Reached, Ky kisses Indie and Cassia is fine with it.

...

I don’t understand. If someone I loved kissed someone while we were doing a long distance thing, I’d be hurt. Cassia just says, “Well, you can never stop Indie, so if she kisses Ky it’s okay.” [not exact words] Indie has done a lot of horrible things to Cassia, this might be the worst thing in fact, and there was nothing to indicate that this was wrong or in bad taste.

I get that they love each other, but I wish they at least discussed things or Cassia didn’t act like “Oh, it’s just that Indie. A hoi hoi hoi!” I felt like after three novels, we’d finally see a growth in their relationship, but we didn’t. I don’t even think we’ve gone further than just scratching the surface with these two.

When their chapters came up, they spent most of it talking about how much they loved the other. However, I still don’t think it was enough to show how strong or deep their love was. I’m fine with them being a couple and I got that they were a couple, but I just wanted more from both of them.

The Bad:

Reached had some great things in it, but it was long and dragged on and on. I also felt like almost every big moment that happened never had an effect on me, because I knew things would work out, especially if it happened to one of the main three. If one of them got the Plague, you knew that they’d survive. There was no suspense. Even when their chapter came round and instead of writing, there was just a blank page, I felt nothing. I even said to myself, “Meh, the next time (said character) shows up, they’ll be cured so why worry about it.” And then I flipped the page and sure enough, they were cured.

The only thing that shocked me was when Lei didn’t die. I thought she would, which would add to Xander’s Bermuda Triangle of love and misery, but she didn’t. This was the only thing that actually made me feel something.

There were a few deaths, some of pretty important people, but they were glossed over. For a group of people who grew up in a world where people live till they’re 80, I would think that death would affect them a bit more strongly. These are people they knew and loved and the death is mentioned and they move on to the next scene. To me, I didn’t feel like this made much sense. We’ve seen how much Cassia’s grandfather’s death affected her, so why didn’t she behave in the same manner here?

I think the biggest problem was that there were things that are mentioned and then never brought up again. These things were never resolved, which was a bit of a letdown.

Overall:

Like I said before, Reached is the best one in the series, but this is still a series that is just okay. It’s not great. It’s not bad. It’s just okay. I liked Xander, he really came into his own in this book and the dynamic between the Society and the Rising was refreshing to read. But, we still are at the surface of Cassia and Ky’s love story. And the book is plagued (hahaha...) by too many pages and not enough of the story to move the plot at a faster pace.

Would I recommend this series to someone? Maybe, I think? But not before recommending other things to them first.

pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
It took me more than half the book to get into it but I did like the last third or so. Some things were too convenient though. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |

"In search of a better life, Cassia joins a widespread rebellion against Society, where she is tasked with finding a cure to the threat of survival and must choose between Xander and Ky"--

518 wanted3 pay3 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible