Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Shattered Souls

by Mary Lindsey

2692462,268 (4)1

Shattered Souls isn't just a book that you read, it's a book that you experience. I'm going to start out with that. Honestly, from page one I was completely hooked into Lenzi's struggle, her world, and everything going on. This is a haunting tale, with so much suspense that it sinks it's teeth into you and carries you along as things develop. What I'm saying is that this is a book that you need to read. It's addictive.

We meet Lenzi, a troubled girl who isn't quite sure what is going on in her life. She keeps hearing voices, seeing visions, and the pills just aren't working. However Lenzi isn't the type to back down. I loved that her character was so deep and realistic. No matter how much fear she feels, she is willing to admit it and move forward anyway. It helps, of course, that she has Zak, her sweet and broken boyfriend, to keep her grounded. I fell in love with him almost instantly, despite his cracked interior. The two of them are really sweet together, until cocky and charming Alden comes along. In fact, the more time Lenzi spends around Alden the tougher things get. Do you sense a love triangle? If you do, you are correct. I'm generally not a huge fan of them but honestly? This one is done perfectly and it's delicious (and addictive) to read!

This is a book that will really keep you on your toes as you read. All the emotions in this book are palpable, and I found it so easy to feel what Lenzi was feeling. The emotional aspect of the writing in this book is done so gorgeously, that it just bleeds off the page and into your heart. Although the basic plot of Shattered Souls is rather simple, Mary Lindsey adds in her own twists that will keep you reading well into the night. There are so many beautifully executed clues peppered into the story. By the time I was halfway through I was completely enamored and engaged with the book. There is something for everyone in here. Wit, twists, anger, a slight creep factor. It's all here.

What killed me (and I loved) at the same time, was the ending. I won't spoil it one bit. This is a story you'll need to experience for yourself. I will say that the climax to this book leaves nothing wanting. Except perhaps that you'll want another book. A wonderfully written debut, Shattered Souls is a book that I would (and will once I get my own copy) read a hundred times over.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Shattered Souls is so amazing. It’s very different from other ghost/medium books I’ve read. The usual ghost/medium mythology from books like the Mediator by Meg Cabot and Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready, and TV shows like Ghost Whisperer, it’s a very casual thing. You know, ‘See ghost, help cross.” It just happens, naturally and casually. This book is different because it’s very structured and regimented. There are rules that must be followed to the letter, and crossing ghosts over is graded by how difficult the resolution is, and you have to fill a certain quota or get “Fired”. “Fired” meaning you won’t get recycled (brought back) in your next life.
That being said, this wasan amazing book. Some things you should now, though:
The first dozen or so things you hear about Rose will lead you to think she’s a bitch (well, I was led to think she was a bitch) later on in the book, however, it turns out she wasn’t exactly a bitch, just that she’d been around for a very long time and was tired, I guess, and confused. And also, those dang RULES!
Another thing, I think Lenzi and Alden’s romance was… it didn’t feel natural to me. I mea, yeah, he’s hot. But she knows him for five days and declares love for him. I didn’t feel her falling for him, so that didn’t work for me.
Also, Zak is just a violent and shitty boyfriend. I don’t see what she saw in him the first place. I mean, yeah, as she said repeatedly “He was my friend when no one else would be. He understands me and shit” yeah, okay. That’s no reason to date him. Especially when he’s so violent and shitty as a boyfriend.
Yeah. So, I liked this book, but there were lots of thing that I either didn’t like or didn’t make sense to me, which is why this is only four out of five stars.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Mary Lindsey pulled me right in from the very first page. This is another of those Texas reads that I absolutely love.

Shattered Souls takes place in the Houston/Galveston area. It's definitely a great setting. In Houston you have the bustling energy of people going to school/work wherever, and in Galveston you get more of a laid back feel. Although a lot of creepy stuff happens to Lenzi in both places.

The characters were awesome. Lenzi is haunted by voices and visions. She fears she will become like her father, and doesn't want that to happen at all. Besides the fact that she's freaking out about hearing the voices, Lenzi is pretty level-headed. She tries not to make rash decisions. Although having to trust Alden is a big step for her. She thinks he's crazy, and a creeper. Until she realizes just how much he can help her. Alden...... *swoon* Can that be all that I say about him???? No??? Okay, then. At times he seems very arrogant, and that annoyed me to no end. But really he's just trying to protect himself and Lenzi. He feels awful about what happened so many years past, and doesn't know how to channel that. He blames himself for a lot of things. So, I guess he's got that tortured soul kind of thing going on. Now Zak, to me, was a complete D-bag. Even though he had strong feelings for Lenzi he kind of acted like a jerk most of the time.

The storyline is great. You don't even realize how fast you are reading the book. I finished it in a day or so, and was like what the..... There are a few things that are predictable, but some that aren't. There are secrets that I didn't think possible. And holy hell, this awful spirit terrorizes Lenzi in some pretty awful ways. I loved the ghost/spirit aspect, and was laughing my butt off during one scene in the book.

You won't want to put this down, at all! Now if only 2014 wasn't so far away for the sequel. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Okay. So, I really liked the concept of this book, but. . .the delivery of the story just didn't do it for me. Let's just leave it at that. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
At first I was highly annoyed with Lenzi. She was a weak wimp with no confidence. Fortunately, this was part of her transformation.

Alden was a total cutie. Loved him. He kept me reading when I almost gave up due to Lenzi's weaknesses. So glad I kept reading because this book was amazing. I a, thrilled to hear that there will be a sequel, but also a stand a lone. I actually like that the author has her novels all stand a lone. That's very cool. But it's also amazing that I get to keep reading about Lenzi and Alden!

So glad this book was recommended to me! If you like PN YA-- you'll like this book. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
FOR FIG
The voice of a small child called out from somewhere behind me.

A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.

When a Texas high school student starts hearing voices she assumes she is schizophrenic like her father, but instead she finds out that she is a "Speaker," who can communicate with the dead in order to help their troubled souls find resolution.

Mary Lindsey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,562,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible