Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Shattered Souls

by Mary Lindsey

1911961,769 (4.17)1

Shattered Souls was an emotional book that I had a hard time putting down.

Our protagonist Lenzi is a reincarnated Speaker, someone who's job it is to help lost souls move on. Of course, she doesn't know this at first and thinks she's just hearing voices and going crazy. Another problem is that Lenzi doesn't remember any of her past lives and consequently doesn't remember how to do her and doesn't remember any of the people she used to know. I liked Lenzi a lot right from the start, I had a lot of sympathy for her as she goes through a lot of hardship throughout the book. Lenzi starts out kind of weak but grows strong and changes a lot over the course of the book and by the end I was really proud of the person she became.

Lenzi's Protector Alden was probably my favorite character. Alden has been Lenzi's prtector for a very long time and you can clearly see how much he loves and cares about her. I liked Alden a lot because he was one of those genuinely nice guys, he cared a lot for his friends and family and of course Lenzi and he always tried to do the right thing. It was good to see a nice guy get a real chance in a paronormal novel for once instead of the usual "bad boy." Nothing against bad boys of course because some of my favorite characters are bad boys but it was a nice change.

Zak, Lenzi's boyfriend was a charcater I disliked right from the start. I mean pretty early on in the book he's already drunk and ditching Lenzi. I do however think Zak did love and care about Lenzi but I think he had so many other issues going on that we didn't get to see and I think those issues consumed him and made his relationship with Lenzi difficult. I was a little surprised by how little Zak was actually in this book, considering he's Lenzi's boyfriend but I didn't mind it, almost all his encounters with Lenzi went bad pretty fast.

I really liked the whole concept of Speaker's and Protector's and I think all the background information that was explained for it throughout the book was really well done. Another aspect of the book that I liked were the memories we got to see of Lenzi's past lives, they added a lot of insight into her relationship with Alden as well as adding quite a bit to the story as well. My favorite part though hands down would have to be the relationship between Lenzi and Alden. I thought they were so sweet together and I was rooting for them from the start. They had their fair share of harships to overcome but they always managed to pull through and were always there for each other.

Final Verdict: Shattered Souls was a really good book that can stand on it's own very well but I definitely hope it's the start of a series because I'd love to see more adventures with Lenzi and Alden. While this book wraps itself up nicely there are defintely things that could be picked up or expanded on in future books. ( )
1 vote thebooklover03 | Jun 23, 2012 |
Lenzi’s father committed suicide after he could no longer deal with the voices in his head. But now Lenzi has started hearing them, too, and she is sure she is on a path to self-destruction if she cannot keep them out of her head. Her boyfriend, Zak, tries to help where he can, but it is never enough. Then a mysterious boy named Alden appears, and he says that he is a Protector, someone who watches over a Speaker, a Ghost Whisperer who is supposed to help the dead move on. He says Lenzi is his Speaker and he can help her control the voices. She is all for that, but even with her attraction to Alden, he seems a little crazy himself. And now a malevolent spirit out for revenge is back, and Lenzi is standing right in his path. Looks like it’s time for her to make a decision.

I enjoyed this book A LOT. At first, I was kind of confused as to the roles of the Protector and Speaker and their abilities, but things became clear pretty quickly. The premise of the story is actually really interesting, and while the idea of a ghost occupying and possessing a person’s body is not new (same with the Ghost Whisperer aspect), Lindsey gives a nice little twist to the story to make it super original and really enthralling. I also really liked Lindsey’s writing. She really has a way with words that clearly gets feelings across, and her descriptions are eloquent in a way that makes readers feel like they are in Texas themselves.

I really liked Lenzi. I think what I liked about her the most was how down to Earth she was. She is known as one of the most powerful Speakers ever, yet there are still moments when she is scared and has no idea what to do. She listens to the advice others give her and she is pretty smart. She is definitely one of the better female leads in YA literature. And I LOVED Alden. Why is it I always fall for YA boys? I do not know, but Alden was AWESOME. He was willing to put Lenzi first and he just seemed to really care about her, which I loved. He almost never thinks of just himself, he is always there for her, he listens to her, and the list just goes on and on. Alden is the perfect man. I will end it there. I also liked Zak. There were moments in the book where the reader is not supposed to like him, but I could not help feeling for him. He is a troubled soul who has been abandoned by his parents and had a rough upbringing, and now the girl he loves is pulling away from him. He makes some bad decisions, but he just wants to save the relationship with his girlfriend. I do not know how other people feel about him, but I did not hate him at all. He may not be perfect like Alden is, but what real man ever is?

This was an amazing debut by Mary Lindsey. If you have not read this book yet, I would definitely add it to your to-read list. You do not want to miss out on it! Everything about this book is beautiful. AND THE COVER. I do not know what it is about this cover, but I am obsessed with it. It is GORGEOUS. There has been no mention of a sequel, but if there is one, I am going to be all over it. However, Lindsey will be releasing another book, Annabel, sometime in 2013. It is going to be a retelling of the original Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe. I am looking forward to reading anything else this talented author releases (and please let there be a SS sequel!). ( )
  Dukiebri | Mar 21, 2012 |
This review appears on my blog, Starting the Next Chapter.

If it involves ghosts, I'm there. The premise behind Shattered Souls held much appeal for me and I had been eagerly awaiting a chance to sit down and read it. The idea of reincarnation added to a good ghost story sounded aces to me, so not reading this book wasn't really an option for me. Though it started out somewhat slow for me, Shattered Souls soon developed into an eerie, spooky story of past lives and spirits both benign and malevolent.

The progression of the storyline was a tad awkward due to the rapid cycling of emotions and opinions that the main character, Lenzi, goes through. Some of her decisions were altogether too sudden to be totally believable. The 180 she performs with regard to her feelings for Zak and Alden was enough to give me literary whiplash and I found myself wishing for a bit more internalization from her. Once Lenzi had fully learned about her background and abilities, however, things began to pick up and I quickly became enmeshed in the story. The sheer creepiness of the primary antagonist along with the sometimes comical encounters with the more benign spirits Lenzi comes in contact with made for a very fun read. I only wish there had been just a little more challenge in the big altercation. I do wonder what will happen next, however.

While it wasn't quite what I expected, I came to enjoy my time reading Shattered Souls. It has an intriguing premise, interesting background information, and a sinister threat, all of which make for a fun read for a cold afternoon. I look forward to seeing how things progress as the series continues (though it looks like there will be a 2 year wait at this point). I rate Shattered Souls at 3.5 hoots, earning it a 4 hoot distinction. ( )
1 vote MarlaSTNC | Mar 14, 2012 |
Review to come! ( )
  DamarisGCR | Mar 7, 2012 |
I love, love, loved this book! I was completely blown away by the story and my attachment to the characters. Lenzi is easy to relate to and sympathize with. Her father killed himself because he was schizophrenic, so when Lenzi starts hearing voices, she obviously thinks she has the same problem. She's terrified throughout much of the novel, afraid that she's going to end up like her father while unraveling the mysteries of her past. She's a speaker, but something went wrong in her reincarnation, and she doesn't remember anything. This causes many problems and puts her in terrible danger. Shattered Souls is one of those books that had me laughing, crying, and staying up all night to read it. There were many surprises that I didn't see coming in this story, and I can only hope that there is a sequel!

Lindsey did a terrific job of creating the characters. Her leading lady, Lenzi, is terrific and believable. She doesn't just jump right into the paranormal thing, and even after she helps some souls, she's still not 100% convinced that she's just not crazy like her dad. I liked her reaction to the news much more than I have many paranormal books in which the person finds out about the paranormal and takes it with a grain of salt. I'm sorry, but if I some stranger came up to me in a cemetery and told me I talked to dead people, I'd run far far away... much like Lenzi did. It took her a long time to trust Alden and know that he's not crazy, and I liked that about her.

Alden is a terrific hero. He's brave, honest, and protective over Lenzi. He is a bit aloof, but it's obvious that he'd do anything in the world for her. He protects her with no regard for his own life. I think the world would be a better place if there were more Aldens in it. Just sayin'.

Zak is not my favorite character, but I don't think he's supposed to be. He really got on my nerves a few times, but there were also parts in which I felt bad for him. Over all, for no more than he was in the novel, he was very well-developed. You just sit back and watch as his character spirals out of control. Lindsey does a great job at showing Zak's deterioration. She has the events happen at just the right pace.

The story itself kept me on the edge of my seat and left me hoping there is a sequel. Lenzi's mysterious past has many layers and is quite complex. It takes the entire novel to unravel all of her mysteries, and I really liked that. I didn't get bored at all, and this was a rather quick read for me because I could not put it down. Seriously, you wouldn't have been able to pry this book out of my hand with a crow bar until I got to the end. The sacrifices Lenzi makes are impressive, and by the end of the book, she's grown immensely as a character.

Shattered Souls an emotional roller coaster that keeps you guessing from the first page until the last. You do not want to miss out on this ride! ( )
1 vote AmberFIB | Mar 4, 2012 |
FOR FIG
The voice of a small child called out from somewhere behind me.

A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.

When a Texas high school student starts hearing voices she assumes she is schizophrenic like her father, but instead she finds out that she is a "Speaker," who can communicate with the dead in order to help their troubled souls find resolution.

Mary Lindsey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,275,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible