Where We Got the Bible... Our Debt to the…

Where We Got the Bible... Our Debt to the Catholic Church

by Henry G. Graham

Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church, included in the book is the author’s conversion story, “From the Kirk to the Catholic Church. Henry G. Graham. 1911. Reprinted by Catholic Answers, 1997. A better title of this book would be “Where we got the English Bible.” I expected more info on Jerome and the very early attempts to decide what books should be included. The real emphasis is on different versions of the English editions. Still I enjoyed the book. The conversion story was fascinating; his take on the Protestants was excellent ( )
  judithrs | Nov 13, 2016 |
In the Dominican spirit of educating his parishioners, our priest suggested this particular book as the first in a series of recommended reading.

At first I was a little concerned about the relevance of a book first published in 1911. So far, however, I find everything well organized and clear cut. Aside from the Bible’s conception, and who should be credited for its preservation, the author makes some very important points about its intention and use.

So many people argue that reading the Bible is first and foremost to becoming a Christian, but that was clearly not its purpose, assuming you even regard it as one book. Most know it consists of many parts written over time by various authors, but have we considered why the individual pieces were penned and to who they were addressed? Step by step, Graham enlightens his readers without undermining any of the biblical texts.

When reading the Bible, I’ve always been told to consider the context as I ascertain its relevance to my personal life. It is clear to me now that this method alone is insufficient. I have always instinctively known that our involvement in the church is directly tied to her original objective. She has always called out to me, and our relationship is the key to my purpose.

As a teacher, I have learned the significance of passing on information through direct instruction. Yes, you can be self-taught, but something is definitely lost that way. God reaches out to everyone, but I don’t believe that Jesus sent out apostles if he wanted us all just to read a set of stories and instructions.

I understand why it is an excellent introduction to our book club. I would recommend it to anyone who would like to better understand the Bible and the reason for its existence.

The forward (if you have the 1997 edition) is a personal account of the Author's journey toward Catholicism. While parts of this section were a little slow, I found his experience to be very moving. Everyone's call is very unique. Fascinating! ( )
  YvonnevonInnes | Sep 25, 2013 |
Outstanding little book which provides a great intro into the formation and conservation of the Bible by the Church. My highlighter was dry by the time I finished marking all the great passages. My one wish is that Graham has included footnotes to his sources. This is a highly contested subject and the ability to reference the source material would make sustaining his arguments easier. Nonetheless, this was well worth my time. ( )
  sergerca | May 6, 2011 |

Traces the origin and preservation of sacred Scripture. This book includes the conversion story of the author, who converted from Calvinist ministry to Catholicism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,302,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible