How Firm A Foundation (Safehold 5) by David…

How Firm A Foundation (Safehold 5) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by David Weber

Series: Safehold (5)

Member:seekingflight
Title:How Firm A Foundation (Safehold 5)
Authors:David Weber
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read, fiction, science fiction, religion, @Leeds

How Firm A Foundation by David Weber (2011)

Nicely continues the safe hold series. Althogh I enjoyed the series, I find the 'good guys' are just too good. as the gang-of-4 (bad guys) progressively do horrid things, the good guys continue to have a measured response.... Still all in all an enjoyable story.
  dkowald | Jul 17, 2012 |
Very good addition to the series. The characters are as engaging as ever and there's a lot of action going on. Not everything is going one the way of the good guys either. The Church is not going without a (vicious) fight! Can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Guide2 | Apr 12, 2012 |
The series continues (*don't* start here!), with the Group of Four and their minions turning to terrorism to inflict some serious damage. The war has struck home on the main continent, too, which will have repercussions well into the future.

I wish I thought Weber had an actual end in mind for this series, even another five or so books down the line. But somehow I doubt it. I like Weber, but the endless series are starting to grate. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Oct 17, 2011 |
I'm a little torn about how to review this book. I am loving this series so much that I'd hate to see it end, and yet I'm beginning to wonder how many more books it's going to take to wrap up the major plot points.

The world of Safehold is caught in the stranglehold of a corrupt church. The nation of Charis, targeted by the church, chose to fight back and against all the odds, has managed to survive and forge allies in their fight to break the church's hold on their world. Charis' young rulers and their closest advisors are working on a way to bring conquered Corisande into their alliance willingly. But the Gang of Four who rule the Church of God Awaiting, frustrated by their inability to prevail against Charis militarily, are turning to terrorism.

The cast of characters is huge and there's lots of action in this fifth book in the series begun with "Off Armageddon Reef". ( )
  4fish | Oct 5, 2011 |
Weber's fifth book in the Safehold Series is an excellent continuation of a well plotted and lively story. The good guys are really good and the bad guys are horrible. Excellent characters fall by the wayside but the tale is refreshed by moving other characters to the forefront. I anxiously await the next installment. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 23, 2011 |
With each installment in this epic sf/fantasy blend, Weber sharpens his storytelling skills. The sixth volume (after Out of the Dark) creates a unique world in which medieval trappings serve as a buffer against an alien threat and generations live in blissful ignorance of the danger than lurks beyond the stars. Series readers and the author's wide fan base will want this.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Jackie Cassada (Oct 15, 2011)

For Alice G. Weber, with love.
Hey, Mom! Look! I did it!
Nights didn't come much darker, Merlin Athrawes reflected as he stood gazing up at the cloud-choked, stormy sky.

Hiding secret agendas from their subjects throughout a terrible war in the Charisian Empire, the Emperor and his inner circle of advisors launch a desperate counter-attack against a corrupt Church of God Awaiting that is complicated by a discovery in the Church's Zion Temple.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible