Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and…

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game (edition 2011)

by Dan Barry

Member:Auggie
Title:Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game
Authors:Dan Barry
Info:Harper (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:12/15/2012

Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game by Dan Barry

An interesting book about an interesting 8+ hours. I picked up this book about Baseball's Longest Game for a couple of reasons. I like the Pawtucket Red Sox as much as their parent club. I recognized some of the players who played in the game. Boggs, Ripken Jr., Ojeda, Gedman and one of my favorite players who I never really got to see play, but boy do I have tons of his major league cards, Marty Barrett.

I liked how the author wove the players' (and mangers and Ben Mondor, the Paw Sox's owner) stories throughout the narrative of the game.

But, I will say that it sort of dragged on, just as the actual game must have. But, it was also an easy book to pick up and put down as I got time to read it, so that helped in the reading of it.

It had a lot of good stories and it had a great behind the scenes look at the minor leagues, a topic I think is always interesting.

Oh, and it's very much P'tucket, not PAW-tucket. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 2, 2014 |
Baseball is my favorite sport, I am counting the days until it starts again. I’m not kidding, I have a countdown clock on my phone and every morning I look at it and get all excited about how many days until pitchers and catchers report for spring training. It therefore should not be surprising that when I was at the library and walking past the non-fiction section my eyes were drawn to the baseball books.

On September 22, 2012 the Yankees played the A’s, that game lasted 14 innings, 5 hours and 43 minutes. The longest game for the Yankees since 2006. I was there for that game. I stayed for every inning, watched every pitch, every hit. The longest major league baseball game was 25 innings, but that isn’t the longest professional ball game every played, that honor goes to a minor league game between the Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings. This record still stands: 33 innings, 8 hours 25 minutes.

There is a rule that a new inning cannot start after midnight, however the rule book the home plate umpire had did not have that paragraph in it, so play continued until 4 in the morning when the president of the league finally returned a phone call to the ball park. Play was halted at the 32nd inning. The next time the Red Wings were in town the game resumed. It took 1 inning and 18 minutes to finish the game. Two names you might recognize in this book are Wade Boggs, Pawtucket Red Sox and Cal Ripken, Jr., Rochester Red Wings.

This book is more than just an account of a baseball game, we learn about life in the minor leagues, what players and managers and reporters had to put up with. We learn some of the history of the players, how their lives progressed after, who went to the major leagues and so on. Well written and interesting. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Mar 31, 2013 |
Please note: This review contains what some might think of as spoilers.

Excellent baseball book and wonderful book about people doing their best to make life work. "Bottom of the 33rd" is the story of the the longest game in minor (or major) league history between the Rochester Red Wings and the Pawtucket Red Sox top farm teams for the Baltimore Orioles and the Boston Red Sox. Barry does an excellent job of following up on players: Those like Cal Ripkin, Jr. and Wade Boggs who had solid careers in the majors and those like Dave Koza who had the game winning hit which turned out to be the highlight of his career. He also follows up on the owner and kids who worked in the park.

The ultimate irony is that the game only went on to after 4 in the morning before being suspended after 32 innining because someone cutting and pasting the International League rule book for that year left out the paragraph requiring that no inning start after 12:50 am.

The Paw Sox won the game in a one inning resumption in front of a full ballpark. ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Bottom Of The 33rd was a really good book and was an easy read. This book is really good for someone who is into reading about any baseball team and enjoys reading about the game they played. I found it to be an easy read because I have an easy time understanding baseball, if you dont understand baseball it may be a little challenging for you to understand. The book was basically a recap of the whole game, with some of the thoughts the players had going through their heads during the game.
  br13vila | Mar 11, 2013 |
While ostensibly about the longest game in professional baseball history, this book is really about the heartbreak that haunts the minor leagues, where players make enormous personal and professional sacrifices for a chance to play in The Show. If you loved the movie Bull Durham, you will love this book. I inhaled it in a weekend; it was just that good. ( )
  sblock | Oct 17, 2011 |
To Ben Mondor
Three thirty in the morning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006201448X, Hardcover)

On April 18, 1981, a ball game sprang eternal. What began as a modestly attended minor-league game between the Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings became not only the longest ever played in baseball history, but something else entirely. The first pitch was thrown after dusk on Holy Saturday, and for the next eight hours the night seemed to suspend its participants between their collective pasts and futures, between their collective sorrows and joys—the ballplayers; the umpires; Pawtucket's ejected manager, peering through a hole in the backstop; the sportswriters and broadcasters; a few stalwart fans shivering in the cold.

With Bottom of the 33rd, celebrated New York Times journalist Dan Barry has written a lyrical meditation on small-town lives, minor-league dreams, and the elements of time and community that conspired one fateful night to produce a baseball game seemingly without end. Bottom of the 33rd captures the sport's essence: the purity of purpose, the crazy adherence to rules, the commitment of both players and fans. This genre-bending book, a reportorial triumph, portrays the myriad lives held in the night's unrelenting grip. Consider, for instance, the team owner determined to revivify a decrepit stadium, built atop a swampy bog, or the batboy approaching manhood, nervous and earnest, or the umpire with a new family and a new home, or the wives watching or waiting up, listening to a radio broadcast slip into giddy exhaustion. Consider the small city of Pawtucket itself, its ghosts and relics, and the players, two destined for the Hall of Fame (Cal Ripken and Wade Boggs), a few to play only briefly or forgettably in the big leagues, and the many stuck in minor-league purgatory, duty bound and loyal to the game.

An unforgettable portrait of ambition and endurance, Bottom of the 33rd is the rare sports book that changes the way we perceive America's pastime, and America's past.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:47 -0400)

From Pulitzer Prize-winning "New York Times" columnist Dan Barry comes the beautifully recounted story of the longest game in baseball history--a tale celebrating not only the robust intensity of baseball, but the aspirational ideal epitomized by the hard-fighting players of the minor leagues.… (more)

60 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,693,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible