The Language of Flowers: A Novel by Vanessa…

The Language of Flowers: A Novel (edition 2012)

by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

2,2962682,771 (4.01)1 / 125
Member:schmidpe
Title:The Language of Flowers: A Novel
Authors:Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Paperback, 352 pages

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

English (263)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (272)
Just finished reading this book and all I can say is wow! Passed it on to my mother who will hopefully feel the same. I could not put it down, as it is a page-turner for sure! I would love to see this turned into a movie just to see how it would turn out. I plan on making a box with flower definitions and photos, just like the ones Victoria made and memorizing the language of flowers. ( )
  tielwingsmama | Sep 29, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this one. The only reason I gave it a 5 instead of a 4 was some of Victoria's development was too delayed, too drawn-out. I also felt that Marlena's changes were too quick for me. ( )
  owlbeyourfriend | Sep 2, 2014 |
Loved it!! I am not sure that I would like my teenage daughter read this because of the message the story is giving. I enjoyed the ending and the moral of the story was somewhat redeemed, but do we want to teach our children to run from their responsibilities? I did love the story! ( )
  LASMIT | Aug 29, 2014 |
At first blush it sounds like something Dickens might have come up with, had Dickens been deeply interested in flower arranging.

In this absorbing and delicately wrought debut novel, Diffenbaugh heeds the creative-writing maxim: Write what you know. She has been a foster mother and has taught art and writing in low-income communities.This experience is discernible in The Language of Flowers. The idea that an angry young girl such as Victoria would actually be interested in flowers and their meanings seems implausible on one level, and yet Diffenbaugh uses to good effect the belief that evergreen hope lies nascent within most damaged kids.

In the end, she offers a cautionary tale about what happens to kids who've grown without families, one that strives to be honest but still hopeful. Children like Victoria may be able to survive on their own, but in order to do better than that - to thrive - they need support. But it's never too late to learn how to love.
added by Nickelini | editSF Gate, Malena Watrous (Aug 21, 2011)

Moss is selected to be the emblem of maternal love, because, like that love, it glads the heart when the winter of adversity overtakes us, and when summer friends have deserted us.
   — Henrietta Dumont, The Floral Offering
For PK
For eight years I dreamed of fire.
You can't poison me or give me medicine I don't want. Or hit me — even if I deserve it.
Now, as an adult, my hopes for the future were simple: I wanted to be alone, and to be surrounded by flowers.

The Victorian language of flowers was used to express emotions: honeysuckle for devotion, azaleas for passion, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it has been more useful in communicating feelings like grief, mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen, Victoria has nowhere to go, and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. When her talent is discovered by a local florist, she discovers her gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But it takes meeting a mysterious vendor at the flower market for her to realise what's been missing in her own life, and as she starts to fall for him, she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, and decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness. "The Language of Flowers" is a heartbreaking and redemptive novel about the meaning of flowers, the meaning of family, and the meaning of love.

When Victoria Jones starts working for a florist, she realizes her talent with flowers helps her change the lives of the people who buy her creations. But when she must confront her painful past, she has to decide how much she is willing to change.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,968,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible