Death Along the Spirit Road (Manny Tanno) by…

Death Along the Spirit Road (Manny Tanno) (edition 2011)

by C. M. Wendelboe

Member:seldombites
Title:Death Along the Spirit Road (Manny Tanno)
Authors:C. M. Wendelboe
Info:Berkley Trade (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013, Read but unowned
Tags:FBI, Lakota, Manny Tanno, murder, mystery, crime, native american, fiction, paperback, @library

Death Along the Spirit Road by C. M. Wendelboe

Lakota FBI agent Manny Tanno returns to Pine Ridge Reservation to solve the murder of a native land developer.
  yellerreads | Jul 25, 2014 |
Being a fan of such mystery writers as Craig Johnson, Patrick F. McManus, and Peter Bowen, it's easy to see that I like crime fiction with a strong sense of the western United States. I also enjoy mysteries with a strong Native American element, so when I found Death Along the Spirit Road while browsing in a bookstore, I knew I had to bring it home with me. It was the right decision.

The residents of the Pine Ridge Reservation inhabit the poorest county in the US, and Wendelboe captures the bleakness and despair. There are so many undercurrents-- both historic and personal-- the Massacre at Wounded Knee, the American Indian Movement, distrust of the FBI, alcoholism, joblessness, Manny's own background.... Manny and his brother Reuben went to live with their uncle when their parents died. Manny idolized his older brother, who became involved in AIM and was eventually found guilty of murder and sent to prison. Reuben is now a free man living on the reservation, and along with the murder of Jason Red Cloud, Manny intends to find some way to prove that Reuben is innocent. As you can see, Wendelboe has sunk the shaft of his pen deep into ore-rich ground.

Manny Tanno is self-deprecating, but don't let that fool you. The man knows what he's doing and has a keen eye for detail. He also counts on his appearance to give him an edge: "It was his plainness that dropped people's guard. His plainness allowed them to trust him even when they shouldn't, and people often trusted him with that small piece of information that would convict them." With so much animosity towards him, it's often difficult to tell if the cooperative people are telling everything they know, or if they're holding back vital information. I found that all this ill will and the reasons behind it made the mystery even more intriguing.

From what I've said so far, most of you are probably thinking that this mystery may be too dark and depressing for you. Think again. There are bright spots of laugh-out-loud humor throughout the book. In fact, I think I've finally found a character who's worse on cars than Stephanie Plum. Yes, if you work for a car rental place and Manny Tanno signs on the dotted line, you may as well kiss that vehicle goodbye. When he gets into yet another rental car and reads the note left for him, I cracked up laughing.

If you enjoy mysteries with a strong main character, humor, and brain-teasing plots as well as ones set in the West or ones with a strong Native American element, you can get all those and more by picking up C.M. Wendelboe's Death Along the Spirit Road. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 10, 2013 |
FBI agent Manny Tanno goes back to the area where he grew up, back to very poor Pine Ridge Reservation reservation which is a fraction of the area where the Sioux and Lakota roamed free. It is close to the sacred Wounded Knee territory where so many helpless innocents were slaughtered. His mission is to find the murderer of local land developer Jason Red Cloud.

What I liked about this book was the character development, the history, the locality and the story.

What I didn't like, because it made no sense was the fact that although Manny had a reputation for solving cases his boss was harassing him and threatening him on a daily basis to get the job done or else. In addition to this after several attempts on Manny's life no backup was provided by the FBI, just further harangues. This detracted from my from my enjoyment of the book. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book was unexpectedly entertaining and more complicated than I expected. At first glance, I thought this would be a light read with an easy to guess solution. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

I was completely hooked on this novel from the very first chapter. I liked the mystery within a mystery within a mystery style, which kept me from getting bored in the middle ( drawback I often find with detective novels). I was also happy to find that Native American issues and Lakota culture seemed to be addressed with sensitivity and respect.

The author's writing style was entertaining and engaging, the characters felt like real people and I noticed no grammatical or editing errors. If you like detective/crime novels, this is one book you should definitely read. ( )
  seldombites | Jan 26, 2013 |
"...paint pony that had been hobbled to allow it to graze. It was so tired from the hard ride here that it hung its head in shame." Assuming a pony could feel shame, why would it after being ridden hard? Disjointed with an unsatisfying ending. ( )
  Tom_D | Dec 18, 2011 |

First in a new series featuring FBI agent Manny Tanno- a Native American returning to the reservation home he thought he left behind.

The body of local Native American land developer Jason Red Cloud is found on the site for his new resort on the Pine Ridge Reservation. A war club is lodged in his skull-appearing as if someone may have performed a ritual at the crime scene.

FBI Special Agent Manny Tanno arrives in Pine Ridge to find that not everything has changed since he left. His former rival, now in charge of the Tribal Police, is just as bitter as ever, and has no intention of making Manny's life easy. And the spirit of Red Cloud haunting Manny's dreams is not much help either, leaving him on his own in hunting down a cold-blooded killer-and one misstep could send him down the spirit road as well..

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:12 -0400)

The body of local native land developer Jason Red Cloud is found on the site for his new resort. A war club is lodged in his skull. Agent Manny Tanno's boss orders him to return to the reservation, his former home, and solve the murder in two weeks--or he can kiss his job good-bye.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,375,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible