Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Ridge by Michael Koryta

The Ridge

by Michael Koryta

2201652,892 (3.75)17
Recently added byjcbrannen, RowingRabbit, rickmac45, private library, HiroProtagonist

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
I really got sucked into the story. It was creepy enough and it kept me wanting more. Pretty good ghost story. I'll definetely read more from the author. ( )
  ct.bergeron | Aug 28, 2014 |
Begins as a crime novel,but quickly turns into a novel of the supernatural. A reclusive and drunkard man builds a lighthouse in the middle of the woods,miles from the sea. A number of accidents occur in the area in which many of the victims escape with their lives. There are also a larger than normal number of murders in which those involved in the accidents reappear as the murderers.
Near to the lighthouse is a sanctuary for 'big cats' and these animals are becoming increasingly restless.
Blends the two genres very well indeed. ( )
  devenish | Mar 10, 2014 |
A lighthouse in the middle of nowhere. A haunted railroad trestle. Strange lights in the night. A big cat rescue sanctuary. And murders stacking up. This novel was written well and the story drew my interest. The lighthouse in the woods was a weird image and it made for a good central point that the story sort of revolved around. The lighthouse was built by an old alcoholic who no one took seriously. His death is investigated by an unlikely team of a sheriff's investigator and a former newspaper reporter. This team works on the mystery, digging into the past to figure out what exactly is happening out there on Blade Ridge. The big cats add another layer to the tale. They sense things that the humans do not. The author did a great job of making the characters believable, while their circumstances are somewhat otherworldly. It is a very suspenseful story, and scary too. Don't read the last few chapters with the lights out! If you like ghost stories, you will like this one. It's not the usual haunted house stuff. It's downright scary. ( )
  Beartracker | Dec 1, 2013 |
There is a little bit of everything in the story of two men searching - one for what happened to his parents so long ago, and the other for the missing piece of the puzzle when his life was drastically altered. There is love and obsession here. Koryta's storytelling is natural and effortless and he has a knack for writing troubled characters whose rough charm and difficult circumstances unfailingly steal your heart. ( )
  daniellnic | Sep 25, 2013 |
First time with this author and I liked it. I will be reading more from Michael Koryta. ( )
  lilk | Jul 2, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031605366X, Hardcover)

In an isolated stretch of eastern Kentucky, on a hilltop known as Blade Ridge, stands a lighthouse that illuminates nothing but the surrounding woods. For years the lighthouse has been considered no more than an eccentric local landmark-until its builder is found dead at the top of the light, and his belongings reveal a troubling local history.

For deputy sheriff Kevin Kimble, the lighthouse-keeper's death is disturbing and personal. Years ago, Kimble was shot while on duty. Somehow the death suggests a connection between the lighthouse and the most terrifying moment of his life.

Audrey Clark is in the midst of moving her large-cat sanctuary onto land adjacent to the lighthouse. Sixty-seven tigers, lions, leopards, and one legendary black panther are about to have a new home there. Her husband, the sanctuary's founder, died scouting the new property, and Audrey is determined to see his vision through.

As strange occurrences multiply at the Ridge, the animals grow ever more restless, and Kimble and Audrey try to understand what evil forces are moving through this ancient landscape, just past the divide between dark and light.

The Ridge is the new thriller from international bestseller Michael Koryta, further evidence of why Dean Koontz has said "Michael Koryta's work resonates into deeper strata than does most of what I read" and why Michael Connelly has named him "one of the best of the best."

Author One-on-One: Michael Koryta and Steve Hamilton

In this Amazon exclusive, Michael Koryta is interviewed by fellow thriller author Steve Hamilton. The tables get turned when Koryta interviews Hamilton on the Misery Bay page.

Michael Koryta

Hamilton: You broke in the same way I did, through the St. Martin's Press/Private Eye Writers of America contest. That first book, Tonight I Said Goodbye, went on to be nominated for an Edgar Award. How did you handle such sudden success at such a young age?

Koryta: Well, the positive side of being 20 when the book won the contest and 21 when it was published was that I knew absolutely nothing about publishing. I was an undergrad, working two jobs. Between all that and writing, I didn’t have time to worry, I just kept my head down and got work done.

Hamilton: You did two more Lincoln Perry novels after that first one, then broke out of the series to write Envy the Night. That’s a fairly early departure from a series. Were you conscious of the risk you were taking?

Koryta: You know, I didn’t think of it as a risk. I thought it was a better book than what I’d done before and therefore a wise move. That was the book that had to be written. I didn’t feel as if I had much choice in the matter. You’ve got a limited number of shots, so the only risk I see is in letting those slip past for stories you’d love to tell.

Hamilton: You returned to the series for one more Lincoln Perry book (The Silent Hour). Now, these were all very well-received, well-reviewed books. You were definitely on most everyone’s short list of favorite private eye writers. Any sane, normal person would have kept going down that same road. But you? Not so much. Please explain yourself.

Koryta: Again, we come back to the idea of the story you’ve just got to write. I’d been entranced with the folklore and history behind So Cold the River for years, and I just couldn’t put the brakes on. I went off to write a 500-page ghost story, and it prompted a change in publishers, but that book also ended up selling better and getting better publicity than anything I’d done before. So sanity, schmanity, says I!

Hamilton: Seriously, no matter what anyone says now, it was a radical departure for you to try something so different. You probably don’t like categories any more than I do, but you’re probably going to find So Cold the River on the “Horror” shelf in many bookstores, right next to Stephen King. (King, Koryta--okay, maybe Dean Koontz is in the middle there.) The thing that makes this so amazing to me is that just a few years ago, the horror genre was essentially left for dead. You had to know this. And yet here you are, breathing new life into it. What on earth made you decide to attempt such a leap?

Steve Hamilton

Koryta: Ironically, it found me shelved in “fiction and literature” instead of either mystery or horror. I never considered it all that different from my past work. To me, it was still suspense, just with a supernatural thread. But of course I knew some people would feel differently. I tried to take comfort in knowing that other writers--King, Koontz, Matheson, Levin, McCammon, Straub, Bradbury--had done just fine by focusing on writing well. And Joe Hill! Before he got any bump from being King’s son, he got a lot of attention simply for writing a great book. Heart-Shaped Box was an encouragement for me, a reminder of how much fun a writer should be having at his craft. You can feel how much fun he’s having.

Hamilton: You’ve kept working in this same vein, with The Cypress House and now with The Ridge. As good as your crime fiction was, I can’t help but think that you’re really hitting your stride now. Does writing a story with paranormal elements give you a better opportunity to do something truly original and amazing?

Koryta: It opens things up a great deal. I think of Hitchcock, who always created suspense, but delivered it in a lot of different ways. Any writer who’s interested in putting a real squeeze of tension around the reader’s heart probably considers a spooky tale at some point, and I’m surprised more don’t chase the impulse. I find that it allows me to wrestle with larger issues thematically and symbolically. Now, that’s a personal experience. But the past three books feel bigger to me in those ways.

Hamilton: Any plans to return to crime fiction (or for that matter, to Lincoln Perry)?

Koryta: Absolutely! The next book is going to be a traditional crime novel, a story I’ve been kicking around for years, about two brothers who lost a sibling to violent crime and grew up coping with that tragedy in radically different ways. It’s also a football book--one of the brothers is a high school coach in Ohio, where high school football is a very big deal. As for Lincoln, we’ll wait and see.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:23 -0400)

For years, a lighthouse at the top of a hill called Blade Ridge has lit up the surrounding woods. But when the lighthouse keeper is found dead, strange things begin happening to the people and animals in the area.

130 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible