The bedroom secrets of the master chefs by…

The bedroom secrets of the master chefs (2006)

by Irvine Welsh

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
The usual suspects are here..Drugs,alcohol and sex (although alcohol is an outright winner this time).The story is about an alcoholic kitchen inspector searching for the identity of his father who develops a pathological hatred for a co-worker,which ultimately has tragic results for both.The Edinburgh dialect has been toned down considerably for this novel which may be a major plus for some.I enjoyed this and would recommend. ( )
  tugglebug | Apr 2, 2011 |
The story of Danny Skinner, alcoholic and drughead, working for Edinburgh's Department of Environmental Health, in his search for the father he never knew, and of Brian Kibble, feeble, shy, loser, who becomes Skinner's colleague and the focus of all his hatred. Lots of violence, swearing, and a fair bit of sex, but all rather pointless in my opinion. Very well written but not really my cup of tea. ( )
  mojacobs | Mar 7, 2011 |
always sufficiently disturbing so as to awake my sense of schadenfreude and 'keep me at arms length from that but let me watch' - a bit like a train crash really ( )
  boodgie | Aug 2, 2009 |
i like Irvine Welsh at an arm's lenght, and I mostly liked this book. It wasn't what I expected but.....

Reading the dialog is always the best part of any of his books. ( )
  redwoodcorners | May 19, 2009 |
The first book by Welsh I've actually read and what a good read. Reviews seem poor for this book and I'd guess, from watching Trainspotting, that it follows a pattern of depicting the sleazy side of life and lots of substance abuse.

Here we see the sordid side of life in the Edinburgh catering trade. But the relationship between Danny Skinner and Brian Kibby (which is Dorian Grayesque) is intriguing. ( )
  ascapola | Sep 5, 2007 |
For Elizabeth

"A family saga, a revenge fantasy, a Twilight Zone-esque parable, and, most importantly, a very fun read." —Entertainment Weekly

This story of two men locked in a war of wills that threatens their very existence is vintage Irvine Welsh. Troubled restaurant inspector Danny Skinner is on a quest to find the mysterious father his mother will not identify. Unraveling this hidden information is the key to understanding the crippling compulsions that threaten to wreck his young life. His ensuing journey takes him from the festival city of Edinburgh to the foodie city of San Francisco. But the hard-drinking, womanizing Skinner has a strange nemesis in the form of mild-mannered fellow inspector Brian Kibby. It is Skinner's unfathomable, obsessive hatred of Kibby that takes over everything, threatening to destroy not only Skinner and his mission but also those he loves most dearly. When Kibby contracts a horrific, undiagnosable illness, Skinner understands that his destiny is inextricably bound to that of his hated rival, and he is faced with a terrible dilemma. Irvine Welsh's work is a transgressive parable about the great obsessions of our time: food, sex, and celebrity.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:49 -0400)

Environmental health officer Danny Skinner embarks on a journey from Edinburgh to San Francisco in search of the father he never knew, and discovers that his identity is entwined with the fate of his despised colleague, Brian Kibby.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible