A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare

A Night to Surrender

by Tessa Dare

Recently added byINorris, private library, bookjunkie57, laneycastro, Pap3rLady, sylviasotomayor

A Night to Surrender

The Characters:

Susanna Finch
Victor “Bram” Bramwell

The Story:

It took me seemingly forever to read it but I really did like the story. I suppose I can chalk it up to a reading funk.

Bram and Susanna ticked me, made me laugh and cry and I’m so happy with the way things ended for them.

The Random Thoughts:

Favorite Quotes:
”Oh, certainly, these were just kisses. And the Great Pyramids of Egypt were merely little stacks of stone.”

”Forget birds singing, bells ringing, brooks quaintly babbling over rocks. Choirs of angels could go hang. Her voice, even scratch and weak, was the most beautiful thing he’d ever heard.”

You’re my home, Susanna. My home, my heart, my dearest love. Wherever you are, that’s where I belong. Always.”

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Sep 14, 2015 |
4.5 stars I can't remember the last time I really fell for a historical romance series...but this one has me hooked! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
Just the sort of book I needed right now. I gave up sleep to finish this one, and I have no regrets. The author made me ache for the characters, and not because they were being stupid. They were very honest with each other (all though sometimes not with themselves). Fun, refreshing, emotional, but with enough silliness to keep the novel lively and a little enchanting. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Some excellent moments overshadowed by some moments where the characters and situations were a bit too obvious or the attitudes just a little too modern for my taste. Also the heroine seems too willing to give up her life for the hero. Also the boundary ignoring of the hero was a bit annoying. Still overall not a bad read, it just had moments.

Susanna Finch has a life created for herself. After her mother died she ended up in the hands of well-meaning relatives who subjected her to all sorts of treatments to help her get over it, none of which really worked, now she's dealing with her father and his eccentricities and she has built a haven for girls who don't fit, or who have health issues that have seen them seen as ineligible by many. She has worked on finding less damaging ways of helping people, some will never rejoin proper society but many others will.

Victor Bramwell comes to the village with an assignment to gather a militia, however the men are few on the ground, partially because of Susanna's idlyic haven.

The village is a characture, and in some ways an irritating one, granted there were instances where the Peninsula war did decimate some villages, but this was a coastal Cornwall space, people rebuilt harbours all the time and moved the villages to follow them. Also with big houses come men, Gardeners, potboys, grooms, footmen etc and if the Finch house was only even moderately large there would be at least some of those men.

Yes I enjoyed the read but it left a bit of a bad aftertaste. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |
Read from August 14 to 16, 2014

My first Tessa Dare read was a wonderful escape. If only I could take a real vacation to a coastal English village. Susanna is a sparkling leading lady, but I found Bram a little too manly. There was a fight for power between these two and I don't necessarily feel like Susanna won (you know, yay girl power and all). Despite that, I did enjoy it and just might take another trip to Spindle Cove soon. ( )
  melissarochelle | Sep 13, 2014 |

Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's nothing in this place but spinsters... and sheep. But he has no choice, he has orders to gather a militia. It's a simple mission, made complicated by the spirited, exquisite Susanna Finch—a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of Bram's makeshift army.

Susanna has no use for aggravating men; Bram has sworn off interfering women. The scene is set for an epic battle... but who can be named the winner when both have so much to lose?

"While in the town of Spindle Cove, a haven for ladies with delicate constitutions, to gather a militia, the new Earl of Rycliff meets his match in Susanna Finch, a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of his makeshift army."--From Novelist.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,705,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible