A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare

A Night to Surrender

by Tessa Dare

First in the Spindle Cove series. ( )
  boppisces | Aug 30, 2014 |
2.5 (I have an excuse)
I can't move past I like it. I don't want to rate a book lower because I am really not sure whether I would like it more if I read it where I didn't have to watch over other people. It could be that since I've read the whole book on the bus full of fifteen to seventeen-year-olds, my attention was divided. Maybe they are too loud, I don't know. So I'll blame this on them and read it again later.

I loved the humour. The beginning surprised me so much that I laughed aloud.

In Julia Quinn's Bridgertons you get humour too and I loved those characters. For some reason I couldn't connect with any of the characters here. One of the reasons for that could be that I found Suzanna too much (of everything). If she didn't have those scars, she would be perfect. She is beautiful, she knows what's best for every person she meets, she can do anything, she has her own potion for asthma, she can shoot and so on.

Still, for anyone who wants to read a historical romance with a bit of humour, without that obligatory misunderstanding, without the things that prevent them to be together and the two characters who don't fight their attraction throughout the book only to 'see the light' in the end, then this is definitely a good story.

Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I read the second and third Spindle Cove books before I read this one, the first. It was actually fun doing it that way, as it lent a 'prequel' air to the book. Knowing what I did about the future romances of the other characters made it so that I grinned at seeing how Dare set them up for those relationships.

I would say this was my least favorite of the three, but still a very good book with some touching parts and lovable characters. After reading the three books practically back to back, I feel like Spindle Cove is familiar and a place I'd love to visit. I love how Dare's trilogy centers on imperfect characters (Bram's wound, Minerva's geology fixation, and Kate's port wine birthmark).

Tessa Dare is now a go-to author of historical romance for me! ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
New series for me--love it so far! ( )
  KrisinKW | Nov 5, 2013 |
Pure adorable-ness. I could kiss this book, I loved it so much. ( )
  RachelNR | Sep 27, 2013 |

Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's nothing in this place but spinsters... and sheep. But he has no choice, he has orders to gather a militia. It's a simple mission, made complicated by the spirited, exquisite Susanna Finch—a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of Bram's makeshift army.

Susanna has no use for aggravating men; Bram has sworn off interfering women. The scene is set for an epic battle... but who can be named the winner when both have so much to lose?

"While in the town of Spindle Cove, a haven for ladies with delicate constitutions, to gather a militia, the new Earl of Rycliff meets his match in Susanna Finch, a woman who is determined to save her personal utopia from the invasion of his makeshift army."--From Novelist.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,673,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible