The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

The Son of Neptune (2011)

by Rick Riordan

Series: The Heroes of Olympus (2), Camp Half-Blood (7)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (IreneReads)
    IreneReads: Both books involve Percy Jackson going on quests to save the world.
    Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck (goldentiger99)
    goldentiger99: The Tiger's Curse series is like a mix of Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the twilight saga. So if you like both or only 1 series you'll like this book

English (106)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
The only thing Percy remembers is a name and a face. ANNABETH. I REPEAT: THE ONLY THING PERCY REMEMBERS IS ANNABETH. If that doesn’t make them ship worthy I don’t know what does.
Percy finds himself being lead towards a hidden camp called Camp Jupiter seemingly similar to a Roman civilization full of Roman demigods and ghosts. He has the urge to show this place to Annabeth even though he’s not entirely sure who she is. Once he gets sucked into this new world (and for now the only world he knows) he can’t imagine where else he could have come from.
But of course this wouldn’t be a Percy Jackson story without a quest or as the Romans call it…I forgot. And instead of bringing cohort praetor Reyna “long last name” he takes Hazel Lavesque cutie southern african american daughter of Pluto (Hades) and Frank Zhang son of Mars (Aries) his new friends that saved him from angry gorgons in the beginning of the book.
Thoughts and whatnot
Percy loves Annabeth so much he didn’t forget her name when Hera wiped his memory. How awesome is that?? It shows how different their relationship is from when we first started reading about these crazy kids.
I can see where Jason gets his holier than thou vibe from. Reyna was the same way and still was by the time the book ended. The loser kids from the Fifth Cohort were more chill and relaxed because of the poor state they were in the first place as the weakest group in the camp. Funnily enough Jason was part of the Fifth Cohort but they reverted back to their loser ways when he vanished.
This book was much more interesting than the last one and I’m not just saying that because Percy was in it. From Frank’s backstory to Hazel’s this one had more intrigue to it than the other newbies from the other side of camp. While I liked Leo’s fated-to-be-the-cause-of-all-ruin tragedy Jason and Piper’s stories were just so boring (shoutout to my favorite Thalia Grace) I couldn’t sympathize with them. Frank was a favorite for me this time around. The mystery surrounding Hazel was even better than I had imagined (shoutout to Nico DiAngelo)
The flipside to Greek mythology happens to be Roman mythology. I will admit that I did not know that at all but it was so amazing how it was able to blend in perfectly with the Olympian background we already knew about in the last books. Turns out Percy wasn’t the only one to defeat a titan... ( )
  Jessika.C | May 12, 2015 |
I loved this book! Riordan does such a good job of entertaining and teaching us. I climbed into bed last night with about 250 pages to read and didn't sleep until I was done. I laughed, I cried (no really I did). I can't wait for the next book! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
With Percy Jackson back in this second volume of The Heroes of Olympus series, things liven up considerably. Riordan also rounds out his team of seven demigods with two of the most interesting that he's created so far, Hazel and Frank. It's an excellent book all around. ( )
  wanack | Apr 25, 2015 |
I think that rick riordans The Son of Neptune is greta. i appriciate him for writing this book i am planning to read this entire series. ( )
  hotdog123 | Jan 14, 2015 |
Description: Percy is confused. When he awoke after his long sleep, he didn’t know much more than his name. His brain-fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight. Somehow Percy managed to make it to the camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he had to continually kill monsters that, annoyingly, would not stay dead. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him.

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn’t do a very good job of it. When the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her “gift” for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn’t say no. Now, because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk.

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother claims he is descended from ancient heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn’t see it. He doesn’t even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery—although not good enough to help the Fifth Cohort win at war games. His big and bulky physique makes him feel like a clumsy ox, especially in front of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely—enough, even, to share the secret he holds close to his heart.

Beginning at the “other” camp for half-bloods and extending as far north as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment in the Heroes of Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all of whom are destined to play a part in the most important quest of all: the Prophecy of Seven.

Thoughts: I have to say that I find myself liking this second Camp Half-Blood series even more than the first. Maybe it's because the characters are a bit more fleshed out. Maybe it's because the pace is better. Or maybe it's just that the possibilities with all the new sides- Greek, Roman, Hunters, Amazons- are so exciting. Whatever it is, it sure is fun reading.

I think I did, however, like this one slightly less than The Lost Hero. Not because this wasn't as good or as exciting, it pretty much was, but because I found the whole mystery of Jason's amnesia so much more fulfilling than Percy's. Not only do we already know WHY Percy can't remember his past, we know everything he's forgotten, which takes so much of the charm away.

And my usual complaint with these types of books still holds: how come everyone has to be the best at everything (even if they spend half the book thinking they aren't)? It might be interesting to have a character that is actually not so good at much but a wonderful friend and ally nonetheless. And not everyone needs such a complex bacskstory.

Besides that, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I really can't wait to see how the next one, The Mark of Athena, is laid out since all the characters from both books will be together. And I hope Annabeth gets her voice represented, even if that would mean 7 narrator's. Seems only fitting for the Prophecy of Seven!

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3180432 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who shares my sanctuary in New Rome. Even Hera could never make me forget you.
The snake-haired ladies were starting to annoy Percy.

Percy is going to Camp Jupiter with no memory of his former life. After being told to do so by Wolf Lupa. When he is going he is constantley holding of the gorgon sisters of Medusa. but when he reaches the camp two ards jump to the aid of Percy as he caries goddess Hera to saftey. But the two gaurds are attacked as they try to get to camp. So then Percy is deemed worthy of being at Camp Jupiter. Not long fter receiving a quest from Aries that Hi, Frank and Hazzel must go to free death or Thanatos. Also redeem honor of fifth cohort. And so they travel to Alaska with many bumps along the way including escaping Amazons. But when they arrive they free death kill the giant and save the fifth cohort honor.

Demigod Percy Jackson, still with no memory, and his new friends from Camp Jupiter, Hazel and Frank, go on a quest to free Death, but their bigger task is to unite the Greek and Roman camps so that the Prophecy of Seven can be fulfilled.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,167,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible