The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book…

The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Rick Riordan

Member:MikeEpiix
Title:The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:DHS15P3

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (2011)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (IreneReads)
    IreneReads: Both books involve Percy Jackson going on quests to save the world.
    Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck (goldentiger99)
    goldentiger99: The Tiger's Curse series is like a mix of Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the twilight saga. So if you like both or only 1 series you'll like this book

English (103)  Spanish (1)  All languages (104)
I think that rick riordans The Son of Neptune is greta. i appriciate him for writing this book i am planning to read this entire series. ( )
  hotdog123 | Jan 14, 2015 |
Description: Percy is confused. When he awoke after his long sleep, he didn’t know much more than his name. His brain-fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight. Somehow Percy managed to make it to the camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he had to continually kill monsters that, annoyingly, would not stay dead. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him.

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn’t do a very good job of it. When the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her “gift” for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn’t say no. Now, because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk.

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother claims he is descended from ancient heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn’t see it. He doesn’t even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery—although not good enough to help the Fifth Cohort win at war games. His big and bulky physique makes him feel like a clumsy ox, especially in front of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely—enough, even, to share the secret he holds close to his heart.

Beginning at the “other” camp for half-bloods and extending as far north as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment in the Heroes of Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all of whom are destined to play a part in the most important quest of all: the Prophecy of Seven.

Thoughts: I have to say that I find myself liking this second Camp Half-Blood series even more than the first. Maybe it's because the characters are a bit more fleshed out. Maybe it's because the pace is better. Or maybe it's just that the possibilities with all the new sides- Greek, Roman, Hunters, Amazons- are so exciting. Whatever it is, it sure is fun reading.

I think I did, however, like this one slightly less than The Lost Hero. Not because this wasn't as good or as exciting, it pretty much was, but because I found the whole mystery of Jason's amnesia so much more fulfilling than Percy's. Not only do we already know WHY Percy can't remember his past, we know everything he's forgotten, which takes so much of the charm away.

And my usual complaint with these types of books still holds: how come everyone has to be the best at everything (even if they spend half the book thinking they aren't)? It might be interesting to have a character that is actually not so good at much but a wonderful friend and ally nonetheless. And not everyone needs such a complex bacskstory.

Besides that, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I really can't wait to see how the next one, The Mark of Athena, is laid out since all the characters from both books will be together. And I hope Annabeth gets her voice represented, even if that would mean 7 narrator's. Seems only fitting for the Prophecy of Seven!

http://www.librarything.com/topic/130721#3180432 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 12, 2015 |
This book starts when Percy wakes up near a roman camp. Reyna, Frank, an Hazel take him in and show him through the camp. Percy belongs to another camp and the people there are looking for him. Percy,Frank, and Hazel have to go on a quest to fight the giants and free Thanotos. They go through many places on the way like the goddess Iris and her organic shop. Once they get to the giants camp they see thanotos. They split up and try to free. They do free him. When the friends are back at camp all of percys friends come.
This book is Awesome. It is full of adventure and fun.I rated this book five stars because it is so good.I think that everyone should read this. I love this book. This book took me a while to read but i love it so much. ( )
  HaleyC.B4 | Jan 12, 2015 |
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Percy’s back! You know, I never really knew how much I cared about Percy until I read The Lost Hero. I knew he would be okay, but I just missed him and his Percy ways. He’s so crucial, even to this series which moves beyond just him in scope. Percy is the humor and the heart of the series and I’m so glad he’s back. As a result, The Son of Neptune definitely upped the badass factor and holy shit are things intense already.

Finally, I got to meet the rest of the seven from the prophecy. Frank and Hazel round out the group and add their third person narration to Percy’s. Though I still don’t care for them as much as I do the heroes from the first series, Frank and Hazel are a big improvement on Piper, Jason, and Leo. They also add even more (much needed) diversity. Their personalities still lack the vibrancy and humor that I love so much in Riordan’s characters, but they’re really nice and have freaking sweet powers. Perhaps these two will come into their own now that all the background stuff for them is out of the way.

As The Son of Neptune opens, Percy’s running from three gorgons. They’re silly and not all that difficult to defeat as monsters go. The problem is that they’ve been following Percy for a long time and he can’t kill them. At some point he’ll have to sleep and they can kill him. The whole monsters-not-staying-dead problem has gotten so much worse. Now they return almost as soon as they vaporize. The situation is bad. How do you defeat monsters that won’t stay dead? The stakes are so high already, which really explains why sobbing is equated with the later novels.

The differences between the Roman and Greek methodologies are really cool, though I’m not educated enough on this part of history to completely unpack the awesomeness of this. The lines between Greek and Roman are clearly demarcated in some ways but also invisible in others. A stark difference can be seen between Mars and Ares, but death, Thanatos, is called by the Greek name even by the Romans. Camp Jupiter definitely isn’t as friendly a place, and I can see why the middle grade series wasn’t set in this camp. What’s interesting is that the Roman camp seems more harsh and militaristic, but they actually have a plan for demigods to settle down and live after they complete their quests.

Percy immediately makes friends in the Roman camp, the way that he’s wont to do. Finally, I learn that I was correct about Percy’s tragic flaw and I’m so proud of myself. Percy was the perfect ambassador to the rival camp. His bond with Frank and Hazel isn’t as close as the one he shares with the Camp Half-Blood crew, but he loves quickly and strongly.

Cleverest mythology jokes of The Son of Neptune: Iris running a hippie shop and Amazons running Amazon. Now we all know how Amazon manages to deliver products so quickly. I’m glad to see the Amazons too, since there are slightly more badass dudes than ladies in the main cast, but that should about even things out.

There are some fabulous new characters. Obviously, I love Arion, a horse born of two gods, through some union I don’t really want further details about. He’s freaking awesome and swears up a storm that Percy chooses not to translate. Then there’s Ella, a harpy. Formerly a villain, Ella’s now an ally. She’s so sweet and a bit hard to understand, but I love her and that she gets to be a good guy. The way that good and evil become twisted about in Riordan’s series is my favorite thing. I mean, heck, Gaea, mother earth, is the big bad of Heroes of Olympus.

One thing I’m not so sure about is how Frank and Hazel were able to kill Alcyoneus. I get that they pulled him out of Alaska, meaning that he was no longer immortal. However, I thought none of the giants could be killed without a demigod and a god working together. No god helped out in his death. Later they explain that he's a special case, but WHY?

Since I love watching groups work out alliances and come to grudgingly trust one another, I’m really excited to see the Greek and Roman camps merge in The Mark of Athena. I’m also really looking forward to getting all seven heroes together. Also, now that all the pieces are in place, I think the shit is really about to hit the fan. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Dec 16, 2014 |
it was great
  NinjaPuffE | Nov 13, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who shares my sanctuary in New Rome. Even Hera could never make me forget you.
The snake-haired ladies were starting to annoy Percy.

Percy is going to Camp Jupiter with no memory of his former life. After being told to do so by Wolf Lupa. When he is going he is constantley holding of the gorgon sisters of Medusa. but when he reaches the camp two ards jump to the aid of Percy as he caries goddess Hera to saftey. But the two gaurds are attacked as they try to get to camp. So then Percy is deemed worthy of being at Camp Jupiter. Not long fter receiving a quest from Aries that Hi, Frank and Hazzel must go to free death or Thanatos. Also redeem honor of fifth cohort. And so they travel to Alaska with many bumps along the way including escaping Amazons. But when they arrive they free death kill the giant and save the fifth cohort honor.

Demigod Percy Jackson, still with no memory, and his new friends from Camp Jupiter, Hazel and Frank, go on a quest to free Death, but their bigger task is to unite the Greek and Roman camps so that the Prophecy of Seven can be fulfilled.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,234,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible