The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book…

The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Rick Riordan

Member:MikeEpiix
Title:The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, Book 2)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 544 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:DHS15P3

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (2011)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (IreneReads)
    IreneReads: Both books involve Percy Jackson going on quests to save the world.
    Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck (goldentiger99)
    goldentiger99: The Tiger's Curse series is like a mix of Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus and the twilight saga. So if you like both or only 1 series you'll like this book

English (103)  Spanish (1)  All languages (104)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Percy’s back! You know, I never really knew how much I cared about Percy until I read The Lost Hero. I knew he would be okay, but I just missed him and his Percy ways. He’s so crucial, even to this series which moves beyond just him in scope. Percy is the humor and the heart of the series and I’m so glad he’s back. As a result, The Son of Neptune definitely upped the badass factor and holy shit are things intense already.

Finally, I got to meet the rest of the seven from the prophecy. Frank and Hazel round out the group and add their third person narration to Percy’s. Though I still don’t care for them as much as I do the heroes from the first series, Frank and Hazel are a big improvement on Piper, Jason, and Leo. They also add even more (much needed) diversity. Their personalities still lack the vibrancy and humor that I love so much in Riordan’s characters, but they’re really nice and have freaking sweet powers. Perhaps these two will come into their own now that all the background stuff for them is out of the way.

As The Son of Neptune opens, Percy’s running from three gorgons. They’re silly and not all that difficult to defeat as monsters go. The problem is that they’ve been following Percy for a long time and he can’t kill them. At some point he’ll have to sleep and they can kill him. The whole monsters-not-staying-dead problem has gotten so much worse. Now they return almost as soon as they vaporize. The situation is bad. How do you defeat monsters that won’t stay dead? The stakes are so high already, which really explains why sobbing is equated with the later novels.

The differences between the Roman and Greek methodologies are really cool, though I’m not educated enough on this part of history to completely unpack the awesomeness of this. The lines between Greek and Roman are clearly demarcated in some ways but also invisible in others. A stark difference can be seen between Mars and Ares, but death, Thanatos, is called by the Greek name even by the Romans. Camp Jupiter definitely isn’t as friendly a place, and I can see why the middle grade series wasn’t set in this camp. What’s interesting is that the Roman camp seems more harsh and militaristic, but they actually have a plan for demigods to settle down and live after they complete their quests.

Percy immediately makes friends in the Roman camp, the way that he’s wont to do. Finally, I learn that I was correct about Percy’s tragic flaw and I’m so proud of myself. Percy was the perfect ambassador to the rival camp. His bond with Frank and Hazel isn’t as close as the one he shares with the Camp Half-Blood crew, but he loves quickly and strongly.

Cleverest mythology jokes of The Son of Neptune: Iris running a hippie shop and Amazons running Amazon. Now we all know how Amazon manages to deliver products so quickly. I’m glad to see the Amazons too, since there are slightly more badass dudes than ladies in the main cast, but that should about even things out.

There are some fabulous new characters. Obviously, I love Arion, a horse born of two gods, through some union I don’t really want further details about. He’s freaking awesome and swears up a storm that Percy chooses not to translate. Then there’s Ella, a harpy. Formerly a villain, Ella’s now an ally. She’s so sweet and a bit hard to understand, but I love her and that she gets to be a good guy. The way that good and evil become twisted about in Riordan’s series is my favorite thing. I mean, heck, Gaea, mother earth, is the big bad of Heroes of Olympus.

One thing I’m not so sure about is how Frank and Hazel were able to kill Alcyoneus. I get that they pulled him out of Alaska, meaning that he was no longer immortal. However, I thought none of the giants could be killed without a demigod and a god working together. No god helped out in his death. Later they explain that he's a special case, but WHY?

Since I love watching groups work out alliances and come to grudgingly trust one another, I’m really excited to see the Greek and Roman camps merge in The Mark of Athena. I’m also really looking forward to getting all seven heroes together. Also, now that all the pieces are in place, I think the shit is really about to hit the fan. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Dec 16, 2014 |
it was great
  NinjaPuffE | Nov 13, 2014 |
(3.7)
  mshampson | Nov 13, 2014 |
Classic fun Rick Riordan. I didn't feel as close to these characters as I did to those in the first series. It just felt a little bit forced to me. Don't get me wrong, I am still going to be on the edge of my seat until next fall waiting to find out what happens! Just missing classic Percy. ( )
  emking85 | Nov 7, 2014 |
This is a fantastic book! Percy kind of matured since the PJO series, but he's still the same funny Percy we know and love. It's so sweet how he remembers Annabeth, who else loved that? And he had a dream with Grover in it! I lover Grover! Also, I love his relationship with Frank and Hazel.

I love Frank. For a son of Mars the god of war, Frank really isn't a violent person unlike most children of the war god. He's doesn't have a lot of confidence in himself and he's kind of shy, but I love him anyway. And I love him and Hazel as a couple. I'm a huge Frazel shipper.

Hazel is also really cool. She is also Nico di Angelo's half sister, I love that plot twist! I really love Hazel's and Nico's relationship!

I liked seeing Nico again but I didn't like that that he pretended not to know Percy.

I like Reyna, I think she's pretty cool. I hate Octavian! He's so creepy! I still don't like Hera, or Juno, whatever.

This book was really funny. I thought it was funny that Percy didn't like Hazel's horse's potty mouth. I also like Ella, and that we saw Tyson and Mrs O'Leary.

And that's all I have to say about The Son of Neptune. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Becky, who shares my sanctuary in New Rome. Even Hera could never make me forget you.
The snake-haired ladies were starting to annoy Percy.

Percy is going to Camp Jupiter with no memory of his former life. After being told to do so by Wolf Lupa. When he is going he is constantley holding of the gorgon sisters of Medusa. but when he reaches the camp two ards jump to the aid of Percy as he caries goddess Hera to saftey. But the two gaurds are attacked as they try to get to camp. So then Percy is deemed worthy of being at Camp Jupiter. Not long fter receiving a quest from Aries that Hi, Frank and Hazzel must go to free death or Thanatos. Also redeem honor of fifth cohort. And so they travel to Alaska with many bumps along the way including escaping Amazons. But when they arrive they free death kill the giant and save the fifth cohort honor.

Demigod Percy Jackson, still with no memory, and his new friends from Camp Jupiter, Hazel and Frank, go on a quest to free Death, but their bigger task is to unite the Greek and Roman camps so that the Prophecy of Seven can be fulfilled.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,394,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible