Bech: A Book by John Updike

Bech: A Book (1970)

by John Updike

Series: Henry Bech Books (book 1)

A rescued book, from the "Kantoorpaleis" Moem had to move out of. The books needed new homes, new readers and this one ended up with me. :-)
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
John Updike really, really had a way with words, and this book is no exception to such examples of his writing. "his scraped heart flinched" really stuck with me. While I did enjoy this volume (first published 1970), it is a short-story collection, all of which centers around a fictional author, Henry Bech. I am more a fan of the novel form than short stories, hence this mid-rating. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | May 8, 2012 |
Portrait d'un romancier juif de 67 ans, alter ego, et fantasme privilégié d'Updike. Un roman spirituel qui constitue également une bonne description de l'artiste américain, Blanc, protestant, anxieux, et cultivant 'l'ironie en circuit fermé' (cf. l'avant-propos, p. 7-10).
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
One of Updike's most sophisticated entertainments, with delightful surprises on every page. As an alter ego, Henry Bech is a sort of anti-Updike. From the metropolis, Jewish, never went to college, served in the military, a confirmed bachelor, and suffering from writer's block. Bech is also an Updikean vehicle for satirizing the New York literary scene, and American letters in general. ( )
1 vote jensenmk82 | Oct 22, 2009 |
Ordinarily John Updike is an author I enjoy, as in his "Rabbit, Run". But this story of an American writer travelling through Europe, although well-written, failed to move or interest me in any way. It is one of those books that English teachers love, but I was happy to just finish it. I keep it out of respect for the author and the skill that went into it, but the characters did not particularly intrigue me, especially Bech. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 26, 2007 |

John Updikeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044900452X, Paperback)

The Jewish American novelist Henry Bech—procrastinating, libidinous, and tart-tongued, his reputation growing while his powers decline—made his first appearance in 1965, in John Updike’s “The Bulgarian Poetess.” That story won the O. Henry First Prize, and it and the six Bech adventures that followed make up this collection. “Bech is the writer in me,” Updike once said, “creaking but lusty, battered but undiscourageable, fed on the blood of ink and the bread of white paper.” As he trots the globe, promotes himself, and lurches from one woman’s bed to another’s, Bech views life with a blend of wonder and cynicism that will make followers of the lit-biz smile with delight and wince in recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:06 -0400)

6 avail.2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible