One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel by…

One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read 2012, fantasy urban fantasy, library

One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire

2011 (8) 2012 (4) 2013 (4) detective (6) ebook (12) fae (6) faerie (26) fairies (5) fantasy (66) fiction (28) kidnapping (4) Kindle (8) library (4) magic (10) mystery (20) novel (4) October Daye (20) paranormal (8) private investigator (4) read (5) read in 2011 (10) read in 2012 (4) San Francisco (8) seanan mcguire (4) series (10) sf (4) sff (8) Toby Daye (6) urban (7) urban fantasy (62)

I enjoyed this book more than the previous one in the series. For one thing, I did a little digging around and discovered that there are three volumes beyond this one, already titled and scheduled for release. That made me very happy, because it meant that this series is planned, with running themes; a beginning, middle and end; and won't simply drag on with one thing following the next.

"One Salt Sea" takes us to a new part of the fairy realm, namely the sea. We have been given some hints about this kingdom - the protagonist's love interest is a Selkie - but not in detail. Toby doesn't know anything about this part of fairy, which allows McGuire to give us a lot of information without resorting to "as you know Bob." We find out more about the Luishaig, the Sea Witch, as well, which is very satisfying.

Trying to avoid spoilers, I will say that the ending was something of a set up, but of a very believable kind, not of the deus ex author kind. Now that I know there is a definite ending, I will be reading the rest of the series with interest. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 10, 2014 |
This one an unexpected and delightful addition to Octobers tale. The awkwardness that accompanied some of the current progression in specific characters became solidified. Some in a finality that was sad bit also in a way that created more depth to a tale that in many ways was just another UF novel lost in the Frey. ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
I absolutely love October Day! This tale was fantastic! Not as intricate as some of the earlier books, but heart wrenching and spell binding all the same! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
This is a very solid book that was entertaining, tightly plotted, and continued developing the world and overarching plotlines previously set up. I loved the look into the Undersea, liked the progression in Gillian's storyline and the themes of mothers and daughters, was amused to death at Luidaeg's little revelation and loved her big revelation, and generally found it solid and entertaining.

I did, however, have a moment of extreme irritation. I have absolutely no objections in general to killing off characters when I feel it works. I was extremely irritated by Connor's death because it felt cheap. I would have liked some sort of hint that elf-shot could kill a pureblood by them bleeding out. As it was, it felt like a really cheap method to get him out of Tybault's way so Toby could have hot sex with the King of Cats.

I didn't even care that much about Connor! I preferred Tybault before this! I didn't dislike Connor in the least, but my only response to him was a big fat meh. But...I suppose what it comes down to is I'm not a huge fan of killing off characters when it makes characters' lives easier, and I feel that all deaths should feel earned. This felt like neither.
  trouthe | Sep 23, 2013 |
One Salt Sea (October Daye Series #5) RATING: 3.5 stars

October's tribulations never seem to end. This book was pretty interesting as well, I just wished there was a bit more magic and all of that. Still, good.

---------------------------

Portuguese review:

O quinto livro, One Salt Sea, apresenta-nos os fae originários do mar. Sereias, Selkies e outras raças estranhas aparecem neste livro onde a Toby tem de tentar impedir uma guerra entre a terra e o mar. Bom, mas gostaria de ter visto mais magia fae.

No geral, uma série que demora a arrancar, cujos primeiros livros valem mais pela caracterização do mundo do que pela complexidade da história ou das personagens mas que a partir do quarto começa a ficar mais complexa e interessante. Vale a pena, uma vez que mesmo os primeiros livros são interessantes. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Shea, TaraInterior dingbatsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chris.

Thanks, bunny.
The sword swung fast and hard toward my face, leaving me with barely enough time to raise my own sword into position to parry.

October "Toby" Daye is now the Countess of Goldengreen. To prevent war between land and sea, Toby must find the kidnapped sons of the regent of the Undersea Duchy of Saltmist within three days and prove that the Queen of the Mists was not responsible.… (more)

112 wanted1 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible