One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel by…

One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:series, fae

One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire

Recently added byjjmcgaffey, private library, astraplain, raselyem7, sraedi, SarahKat84, JennyJen

Again - I forget, between times, just how good a writer Seanan McGuire is. More plots and twists, and again Toby has to save the day - from a war between the land and the sea, this time. More stolen children, too, and again Toby gets hit close to home. Her position as Countess of Goldengreen becomes both a burden and a great help, here, and she learns a lot of secrets - things she didn't know she wanted to know, and things she knew she didn't want to know. Her assumption about Rayseline and the rocks is wrong, though, if one was collected that long ago. And there are some more permanent losses, including one that...well, it hurt her like hell but all I could think was that it greatly simplified matters. I've been reading slowly - reading for a little and then moving on to something else - through several books recently, but these two - Late Eclipses and this one - I started and couldn't put down, not even long enough to wipe my eyes and blow my nose, until I was done with them. Magnificent. And there are hints of the next story - one year away (in Toby's time, not real-world), Raysel, probably some more loose ends. Apparently two more books scheduled - yay!
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 17, 2014 |
Got an ARC of this and man was it good. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book more than the previous one in the series. For one thing, I did a little digging around and discovered that there are three volumes beyond this one, already titled and scheduled for release. That made me very happy, because it meant that this series is planned, with running themes; a beginning, middle and end; and won't simply drag on with one thing following the next.

"One Salt Sea" takes us to a new part of the fairy realm, namely the sea. We have been given some hints about this kingdom - the protagonist's love interest is a Selkie - but not in detail. Toby doesn't know anything about this part of fairy, which allows McGuire to give us a lot of information without resorting to "as you know Bob." We find out more about the Luishaig, the Sea Witch, as well, which is very satisfying.

Trying to avoid spoilers, I will say that the ending was something of a set up, but of a very believable kind, not of the deus ex author kind. Now that I know there is a definite ending, I will be reading the rest of the series with interest. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 10, 2014 |
This one an unexpected and delightful addition to Octobers tale. The awkwardness that accompanied some of the current progression in specific characters became solidified. Some in a finality that was sad bit also in a way that created more depth to a tale that in many ways was just another UF novel lost in the Frey. ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
I absolutely love October Day! This tale was fantastic! Not as intricate as some of the earlier books, but heart wrenching and spell binding all the same! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Shea, TaraInterior dingbatsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chris.

Thanks, bunny.
The sword swung fast and hard toward my face, leaving me with barely enough time to raise my own sword into position to parry.

October "Toby" Daye is now the Countess of Goldengreen. To prevent war between land and sea, Toby must find the kidnapped sons of the regent of the Undersea Duchy of Saltmist within three days and prove that the Queen of the Mists was not responsible.… (more)

112 wanted1 pay6 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,738,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible