One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel by…

One Salt Sea: An October Daye Novel (edition 2011)

by Seanan McGuire

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:series, fae

One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire

Recently added byscroeser, private library, Nekomata, CryBel, LaPhenix, thec0zy, Suncat, Senhina, skylarker

I’ll keep this review short and sweet, because if you’ve made it to book 5 in this series, you already know if the writing style works for you or not. So specifically, how did this particular plot work out?

This is the Toby Daye book I’ve liked least so far in the series. Part of that is probably for personal reasons, but part of it is for repetitive plot reasons. Toby just….seems to have to save children an awful lot. Now, I’m not saying that an urban fantasy that basically involves someone solving crimes in a world where there’s a huge taboo on murder of immortals won’t repeat some crimes. I am saying that I think doing abducted children again right after a book that did that theme so incredibly well (Blind Michael is the ultimate in creepy) is just too repetitive. There are actually some sly nods to the reader that the author knows abducted children plots are happening a lot. Toby comments something along the lines of gee she’s sure sick of saving children. If your main character is sick of saving kids, maybe the readers are tired of reading it. Just saying. Beyond that, there were two other things that made me meh about this plot.

First, we’re clearly supposed to sympathize with Toby in the whole “whyyy does everyone think I’m a terrible mother” plot, but honestly I don’t sympathize with her, and I do think she’s a terrible mother. So. There’s that. But I fully admit to having some of my own mom issues, so it might be harder for me to see this with a neutral viewpoint. Other readers may have a different experience. But be prepared to possibly like Toby less.

Second, you know how most romances have various love interests and you’re on a certain team? Well, I am 100% #TeamTybalt, and I was not pleased by all the Connor scenes. I just find him dull and drab and I am massively creeped out by the webs between his fingers that never go away. Plus…male selkies….eh. This book could easily be called the #TeamConnor book so readers who like him….enjoy. For the rest of us, you might find yourself rolling your eyes a bit.

I know that sounds like a lot of negatives but it is the book I’ve liked least in the series so far, in spite of really enjoying the series, so it seemed apt to discuss at length why it didn’t work so well for me. All of that said, I read it quickly, and I fairly soon picked up the next book in the series, so I certainly didn’t hate it. A lot about the series works really well for me, there are just certain aspects of this book and plot that I think might make it less enjoyable for certain readers compared to the rest of the series.

Check out my full review.

*initial thoughts*
I'm just getting tired of Toby having to save kids. Also, it's hard to empathize with her in this book. ( )
  gaialover | Jul 22, 2016 |
Connor dies, Gillian becomes human and Tobey loses Goldengreen and turns into a mermaid for awhile. Rayseline is sleeping for the next 100 years, possibly, if she doesn't die first. Things are definitely changing! Looking forward to the next book in this series!! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Seanan McGuire ripped poor Toby apart again. She just doesn't give her even a moment of respite. What an intense, gripping and fantastic read!

Toby nearly died in last book, and here she is again, thrown into an attempt to stop the war between Land fae and Undersea folks, because the sons of Duchess of Saltmist are kidnapped.

October and her friends have only three days to solve the case, and Toby works almost non-stop especially when her own daughter gets involved and the stakes in this dangerous game skyrocket...

Oh My God, people! My heart just couldn't bear the tension! Poor Toby, poor parents, unbelievably tough choices and tragic losses. Very dark, bitter ending of the book.

October Daye has come a very long way and evolved so much from a simple changeling detective in the beginning to a powerful, ruthless player. I can not wait to read Ashes of Honor and see what comes next.

Hugely recommend this series! First two books are a bit shaky, but from the 3rd onwards it's pure awesomeness. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Got an ARC of this and man was it good. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book more than the previous one in the series. For one thing, I did a little digging around and discovered that there are three volumes beyond this one, already titled and scheduled for release. That made me very happy, because it meant that this series is planned, with running themes; a beginning, middle and end; and won't simply drag on with one thing following the next.

"One Salt Sea" takes us to a new part of the fairy realm, namely the sea. We have been given some hints about this kingdom - the protagonist's love interest is a Selkie - but not in detail. Toby doesn't know anything about this part of fairy, which allows McGuire to give us a lot of information without resorting to "as you know Bob." We find out more about the Luishaig, the Sea Witch, as well, which is very satisfying.

Trying to avoid spoilers, I will say that the ending was something of a set up, but of a very believable kind, not of the deus ex author kind. Now that I know there is a definite ending, I will be reading the rest of the series with interest. ( )
  teckelvik | Feb 10, 2014 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Shea, TaraInterior dingbatsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chris.

Thanks, bunny.
The sword swung fast and hard toward my face, leaving me with barely enough time to raise my own sword into position to parry.

October "Toby" Daye is now the Countess of Goldengreen. To prevent war between land and sea, Toby must find the kidnapped sons of the regent of the Undersea Duchy of Saltmist within three days and prove that the Queen of the Mists was not responsible.… (more)

86 wanted1 pay7 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,343,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible