Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War) by…

Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War)

by Maureen Lang

I received this free as it was damaged. The story is set in Germany just after "The Great War." The main characters are involved in a Communist political campaign to win the election. However, an ex-soldier with Christian faith becomes involved after being hired by the parents of a girl involved in the campaign to bring her back home. He does not share the political views of the others. The girl refuses to leave the Communist group which becomes more violent in it's activities as time goes on. She becomes disillusioned by their activities and slowly turns away from them and towards the ex-soldier. After a bit of confusion during a particularly fierce battle they find each other and are later married after she comes to faith.

This was readable, fairly fast moving with an interesting story that is partly historical. The book is clean, free of bad language and sexual content. There is some violence and discussion about whether or not one of the characters will sleep with another, but nothing too graphic. God is referenced throughout and although the Gospel isn't presented within the book I would still describe this as a Christian book as the Christian faith of the main character is well-evidenced through his behaviour and in some of the discussions.

Recommended for Christian readers. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
NCLA Review -It has been said that important truths may be found in fiction. Springtime of the Spirit is an excellent example. In November 1918, the war is over for Germany, a conquered nation. Socialists and communists compete to gain control of Munich’s government. Both parties rely on man’s power, not God’s, to bring order out of disorder. Annaliese, a young Socialist, emerges as the leader of women’s rights and opportunities. She preaches equality. Her faith in human nature is seriously damaged when she observes the actions of the women when the Communists gain power. The underdogs become greedy aggressors. Christophe, after four years of war in France, knows from experience that life without God is counterproductive, even impossible. Political upheaval in Munich is proof. It’s war again, but this time Germans are killing Germans. We experience the turbulent history of these years as well-defined characters scheme to survive. Romance, commitment and forgiveness bring the story to a positive ending. There is hope, always, hope, for a better future. This book is part of a series but can stand alone. Book 4 in the series, Look to the East, will be released in July. Rating: 4 —CRP ( )
  ncla | Oct 2, 2011 |
A historical presence of political passion in Germany during the early 1900's with the mix of romantic allure, heat and lust of two men for one woman who is stronger than they are both.

Meet Annaliese a feisty young woman not yet 18 who has left the only family she has, her parents, behind in her search finding something to believe in. Who is she? What does she care about? Annaliese seems to be stuck in a love triangle between a man who shares her passion of rallies and causes for socialism and a man from her past. The stage is set in the early 1900's after the end of the cold war, a war which still lingers with food shortages and unemployment. Annaliese is determined to put blame on the very man who comes to save her, blaming him for the death of her sister, while feelings of passion for him linger in her heart. Christophe is the man who was sent to fetch her, a soldier, a major who after returning from the war has come home to nothing. His only family his sister has left for America, his parents having died shortly after the death of his brother. Christophe although filled with sadness for his current situation, which includes not only coming back to an empty home, but also bitter from losing the war and feeling it a total waste, yet still holding onto his belief in God. A belief that Annaliese has long pushed aside, as she has also done to her family, her traditions and her past social class which she hides by not placing her last name forth for the very cause she so supports.

I felt the pain and passion carried by Annaliese through Springtime of the Spirit from the beginning of the book to the very end. Christophe is quite the man, strong, patient, level headed, just what Annaliese needs to balance her. While Jurgan her partner in the political rallies and her other love interest seems like the basic playboy of the 1900's, something Annaliese senses and has seen first hand. I could sense the lust Jurgan carries for Annaliese then his curiosity toward Christophe, his rival who seems to appear out of nowhere. Jurgan's curiosity slowly turns into jealousy, in this triangle of passion. Springtime of the Spirit is a mix of history, love of a country, anger, God and so much more. I lost myself in this book and if you are a romantic who likes to feel the struggle of two men for the love and attention of one women, this book is for you. ( )
  autumnblues | Apr 14, 2011 |
Springtime of the Spirit was difficult for me to put down. I read the story in just a few days, and it's not a short book. I think this is Maureen Lang's best book. I enjoyed the previous book in the Great War series, but this even tops that one, probably because of the communist versus socialist theme during that time period.

I've always found it tragic that Europe has gone through so many wars and so much bloodshed. It's even more tragic when countrymen kill each other with the hopes of making the country better, only to make things worse. The developing emotional relationship between Annaliese and Christophe was incredible to witness. While drawn to each other, they fought closeness for many different reasons. I worried for their safety but also admired them for their bravery and commitment to what mattered to them. ( )
  MichelleSutton | Apr 11, 2011 |
Caveat: Maureen's a friend. Yes, I am brave enough to review my friends' books.

Normally the words "inspirational" and "romance" send me scurrying off in the opposite direction, but I enjoyed Springtime of the Spirit. The main characters, Annaliese and Christophe, were engaging and there was enough complexity in the cast of characters to keep me interested. Above all, I loved the historical setting. I'm a big fan of the period immediately after the First World War, but I didn't know much about the situation in Germany. There was enough detail of the politics and setting in this novel to leave me feeling that I'd learned something. Annaliese's spiritual growth was plausible, although I felt that she reverted rather quickly from Socialism to sympathy with the bourgeois. A fast, pacy read that sets up its story well and sustains the tension throughout. ( )
  JaneSteen | Apr 2, 2011 |

Germany, 1918. Four years of fighting have ended, but there is little to celebrate. Christophe isn't sure he'll ever believe in anything again. Annaliese is young and idealistic-- but has she abandoned the faith she once cherished? They both face choices that could jeopardize their loyalty, their love, and their very lives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,295,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible