Chicago Poems by Carl Sandburg

Chicago Poems (1916)

by Carl Sandburg

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
I love Carl Sandburg's imagery! ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
This poem is about a man looking in the mirror and seeing all this wonderful things about a man. But he doesnt realize that this man was his own reflection in the mirror.
While this man looks in the mirror he only sees whats on the outside which stops him from realizing that good things come from the inside.
Classroom extension: What we see on the outside is not who we are on the inside. Be more optimistic.
  mztaylor123 | Mar 27, 2012 |
Through his experiences, Carl Sandburg observed the dichotomy between rich and poor and developed a strong sympathy for the “plight of the worker,” a sympathy obvious in his first book of poetry, Chicago Poems, first published in 1916.

While Sandburg’s poetry isn’t my favorite style nor does it focus on favorite subjects, I enjoyed reading Chicago Poems, and I loved the historical context of his poetry. He made the people of early twentieth-century Chicago real as he wrote of their plight. This was Chicago a hundred years ago: child factory workers, poor people dying of sickness and starvation, and the tragedy of every-day death.

More thoughts on my blog
  rebeccareid | Jul 7, 2009 |
Carl Sandburg was a master wordsmith. Chicago poems takes the reader into Sandburg's political leanings as well as the giving a real glimpse into the past. ( )
  Scaryguy | Dec 6, 2008 |
This is Sandburg's first book published in 1916. In additions to the famous poems in praise of the city and "Fog" there are meditations on lost love, death, and the squalor of urban life. ( )
  MaowangVater | May 31, 2007 |

Written in the poet's unique personal idiom, these early poems include "Chicago," "Fog," "To a Contemporary Bunkshooter," "Who Am I?" and "Under the Harvest Moon," as well as many others on themes of war, immigrant life, death, love, loneliness and the beauty of nature. New introductory Note. Alphabetical lists of titles and first lines. Includes 2 selections from the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:10 -0400)

Poems celebrate the city and its ordinary citizens, and look at World War I and the struggle of working people to succeed.

Legacy Library: Carl Sandburg

Carl Sandburg has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Carl Sandburg's legacy profile.

See Carl Sandburg's author page.

11 avail.2 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible