The President's Vampire by Christopher…

The President's Vampire (edition 2011)

by Christopher Farnsworth

2573944,496 (3.92)1 / 12
Member:AllyShields
Title:The President's Vampire
Authors:Christopher Farnsworth
Info:

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

A political thriller meets a paranormal story in THE PRESIDENT'S VAMPIRE. Nathaniel Cade has been sworn to protect the country as the President's vampire for 140 years. He is the most secret of secret agents. His handler is Zach Barrows who had a very promising political future and job in the West Wing before he was drafted into service with Cade.

In this episode, the second in the series, Cade and Zach are tracking down a conspiracy which intends to turn humans into lizard people and bring about a new world order. I liked that flashbacks to earlier in Cade's history. I liked the relationship between Cade and Zach which lets each of them play on their strengths.

The story was fast-paced, exciting and bloody. Fans of thrillers and the paranormal will enjoy this story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 22, 2014 |
Great book! Exciting, tense, funny(!), and an all-around good read.
If you like monsters mixed with a healthy dose of government conspiracies, then this series is for you! Highly recommended! ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
Fell in love with Cade immediately. Great action and suspense, original storyline, and characters you can get passionate about. I wish there were more in the series. ( )
  sarahanncarson | Apr 3, 2014 |
Yes, the president has a vampire. He live in the basement of the Smithsonian. At least in the world created by Christopher Farnsworth. Cade, the vampire, gets those pesky, dirty little jobs like dealing with evil creatures from the other side, that the usual governmental agencies are loath to tackle. Interesting twist on the vampire ledgend. Also, for the conspiracy buff, there is a shadow government agency intent on world domination. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Also. This would make a -fantastic- video game. :)

Fun! Fun! Fun! This book took me longer than expected, but I think it's because it's exam time. It was fabulous. Better than 'Blood Oath'. I loved the homage to Stephen King with the RED RUM clearance. I loved the POSSIBILITY of a burgeoning 'love story' with Tania. I loved the 'dark/other side' of the CIA and will probably be reading some of the recommended titles for that. And...

I LOVE me some reptilian overlords!

Definitely worth the read, though, I had to refresh myself with 'Blood Oath' first. That's what Wikipedia is for.

2 May: This might be a spoiler... but since it happens in the first chapter or so, I'm not going to hide it. I'm also not going to lie, it's f'ing spooky. So the Navy Seals killed Bin Laden yesterday right? Then he was buried at sea. Yesterday I also read some of 'The President's Vampire' ... now for the 'spoiler':

Cade does battle with Bin Laden's minions and eventually Bin Laden himself who turns into a reptilian creature and he has to kill with hand grenades. Spooky.... and this book was JUST. PUBLISHED. Spooky. :) But I must say I LOVE me some reptilian overlords. I need to know if Farnsworth was inspired by the incredible wacko David Icke, author of 'The Biggest Secret' (which deals with reptilian overlords like Queen Elizabeth, Bill Clinton, et. al.) it's a total riot. :)

30 Apr: Been waiting for what feels like FOREVER for this book. Super psyched. :) Who needs to study for finals? I DEFY YOU CIVIL PROCEDURE! ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Christopher Farnsworthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nathaniel Cade watched the men from his hidden perch as they walked up the narrow mountain path.

For 140 years, Nathaniel Cade has been the President’s Vampire, sworn to protect and serve his country. Cade’s existence is the most closely guarded of White House secrets; a superhuman covert agent who is the last line of defense against nightmare scenarios that ordinary citizens can only dream of.

When a new outbreak of an ancient evil—one which Cade has seen before—comes to light, Cade and his human handler, Zach Barrows, must track down its source. To “protect and serve” often means settling old scores and confronting new betrayals . . . as only a centuries-old predator can.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399157395, Hardcover)

Christopher Farnsworth on The President's Vampire

There are probably some people who wonder why I decided the world needed another vampire novel, let alone one about a bloodsucker who works for the president.

But to me, changing the War on Terror to the War on Horror didn’t seem like that much of a leap.

My vampire Nathaniel Cade even has his birth in U.S. history. I got the idea when reading a weird factoid about a sailor pardoned by President Andrew Johnson after being accused of killing two men and drinking their blood. I wondered: What would a man sitting in the Oval Office do with a vampire?

Then it hit me. That was the wrong question. The right question is: What wouldn’t the president do with a vampire?

Since 9/11, it seems that the United States has struggled with one nightmare after another. There’s a feeling that the ground isn’t stable under our feet; that it might crumble at any moment and the graves will open and all kinds of nasty, hungry things will spring out.

You can see how we’re handling it in our hunger for stories of zombies and vampires and conspiracies. John Connolly’s Charlie Parker is a detective constantly fighting ghosts and demons, both symbolic and literal. Jonathan Maberry pits soldiers against what can only be called mad science; F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack is a street-level fixer forced to confront undying evil. Meanwhile, Justin Cronin and Max Brooks have imagined worlds that show us what happens when humanity loses to horror.

This is where Nathaniel Cade comes in. He’s our front line and last resort in this war. He makes sure the nightmares never infect the brightly lit world of the American dream. He’s able to fight terror with terror.

There are two sayings that constantly go through my head when I’m writing Cade. The first is the old aphorism from Nietzsche: “Whoever fights monsters must take care not to become a monster himself.” The second I read in Shibumi, one of my favorite books of all time: “Who does the harsh things? He who can.”

Cade has already lost his humanity. He’s never going to get it back. So he knows the cost if he fails; he knows how easy it would be to slip into the future as it exists in The Passage. But he’s able to go into the shadows and survive precisely because he isn’t human. The shadows are where he belongs now.

To paraphrase Franklin D. Roosevelt, Cade might be a monster, but he’s our monster. And in a world filled with terror and darkness, it’s somehow comforting to think that we’ve got something with teeth on our side.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:40 -0400)

For 140 years, Nathaniel Cade has been the President's Vampire, sworn to protect and serve his country. Cade's existence is the most closely guarded of White House secrets, a superhuman covert agent who is the last line of defense against nightmare scenarios that ordinary citizens can only dream of. When a new outbreak of an ancient evil--one that Cade has seen before--comes to light, Cade and his human handler, Zach Barrows, must track down its source. To "protect and serve" often means settling old scores and confronting new betrayals--as only a centuries-old predator can.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,423,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible