The President's Vampire by Christopher…

The President's Vampire (edition 2011)

by Christopher Farnsworth

2894538,912 (3.93)1 / 13
Member:AllyShields
Title:The President's Vampire
Authors:Christopher Farnsworth
Info:Putnam Adult (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

Long ago Nathaniel Cade swore a blood oath to protect the President of the United States and the country. He works as black ops taking care of the nasties that come from the Other Side. For the last century he's been working to exterminate reptilian hybrids -- what his handler Zach calls "Snakeheads". They keep changing and now they're showing up in the middle of enemy territory as well as in unexpected spots in the United States. Cade arrives and slaughters, but someone is pulling the strings now.... someone within The Shadow Company.

Nathaniel Cade is very clearly not human. Everyone he encounters shies away knowing that's truly what Cade is: a predator who sees others as either threats or prey. Despite this, he still willingly entered the oath and is incredibly loyal and even patriotic... just super scary simultaneously.

Each chapter of the book begins with a short back story concerning incidents in U. S. history which touched on the use made of Cade or happenings of an unexplained nature. This feature could have detracted from the narrative but it didn't. I can see how Christopher Farnsworth is going to build this series: each book will have a new paranormal entity to fight. Blood Oath was zombies; The President's Vampire is Snakeheads. The author manages to humanize both atrocities by making them man-made creations. So suspend your belief system, sit back and enjoy the ride. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Blood Oath, the first book featuring vampire Nathaniel Cade was so good I had to pick up the second one. The President's Vampire takes place months after Blood Oath and Zach Barrows, Cade's handler, has had plenty of time to get used to his new job. I didn't love Zach in the first book but he's so much more interesting in this one. In fact, in many parts of the book Zach almost outshines Cade. In this new adventure Cade and Zach are up against a virus that's turning humans into serpent-like creatures that are killing machines. Unstopped, they'll destroy most, if not all of mankind.

The President's Vampire provides shocking twists and is filled with non-stop action. If you liked the first book in this series, you will certainly like this one. I'm not a fan of vampire novels but I do enjoy a good political thriller and this is both. I wouldn't recommend reading them out of order since the character development is part of the plot. Now I'm off to get the third one...Red, White and Blood.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
The trials and tribulations continue with Nathaniel Cade and his human handler Zach. This time, an old mess that Cade thought he'd cleaned-up 100 years ago in Innsmouth rears its' ugly head.....quite literally, as it seems that somebody is turning people into snakeheaded being from the Other Side. With traitors in their midst and no one they can trust will Cade and Zach be able to save the United States (and probably the whole world as well) from the evil machinations of the Shadow Company?

It was a good entertaining read. I found it fast and yet more complicated then the usual drek. I enjoyed it and recommend to everyone. I really like the little snippets before each chapter. Also, the way real life historical figures (like Elliot Ness, Osama Bin Laden, for example) are woven into the story. They never take center stage, almost like "historical cameos". The Cthullu Mythosis being involved her was a nice touch. I eagerly look forward to the next "Nathaniel Cade (and Zach) Adventure". ( )
  ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |

Christopher Farnsworthprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nathaniel Cade watched the men from his hidden perch as they walked up the narrow mountain path.

For 140 years, Nathaniel Cade has been the President’s Vampire, sworn to protect and serve his country. Cade’s existence is the most closely guarded of White House secrets; a superhuman covert agent who is the last line of defense against nightmare scenarios that ordinary citizens can only dream of.

When a new outbreak of an ancient evil—one which Cade has seen before—comes to light, Cade and his human handler, Zach Barrows, must track down its source. To “protect and serve” often means settling old scores and confronting new betrayals . . . as only a centuries-old predator can.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399157395, Hardcover)

Christopher Farnsworth on The President's Vampire

There are probably some people who wonder why I decided the world needed another vampire novel, let alone one about a bloodsucker who works for the president.

But to me, changing the War on Terror to the War on Horror didn’t seem like that much of a leap.

My vampire Nathaniel Cade even has his birth in U.S. history. I got the idea when reading a weird factoid about a sailor pardoned by President Andrew Johnson after being accused of killing two men and drinking their blood. I wondered: What would a man sitting in the Oval Office do with a vampire?

Then it hit me. That was the wrong question. The right question is: What wouldn’t the president do with a vampire?

Since 9/11, it seems that the United States has struggled with one nightmare after another. There’s a feeling that the ground isn’t stable under our feet; that it might crumble at any moment and the graves will open and all kinds of nasty, hungry things will spring out.

You can see how we’re handling it in our hunger for stories of zombies and vampires and conspiracies. John Connolly’s Charlie Parker is a detective constantly fighting ghosts and demons, both symbolic and literal. Jonathan Maberry pits soldiers against what can only be called mad science; F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack is a street-level fixer forced to confront undying evil. Meanwhile, Justin Cronin and Max Brooks have imagined worlds that show us what happens when humanity loses to horror.

This is where Nathaniel Cade comes in. He’s our front line and last resort in this war. He makes sure the nightmares never infect the brightly lit world of the American dream. He’s able to fight terror with terror.

There are two sayings that constantly go through my head when I’m writing Cade. The first is the old aphorism from Nietzsche: “Whoever fights monsters must take care not to become a monster himself.” The second I read in Shibumi, one of my favorite books of all time: “Who does the harsh things? He who can.”

Cade has already lost his humanity. He’s never going to get it back. So he knows the cost if he fails; he knows how easy it would be to slip into the future as it exists in The Passage. But he’s able to go into the shadows and survive precisely because he isn’t human. The shadows are where he belongs now.

To paraphrase Franklin D. Roosevelt, Cade might be a monster, but he’s our monster. And in a world filled with terror and darkness, it’s somehow comforting to think that we’ve got something with teeth on our side.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

For 140 years, Nathaniel Cade has been the President's Vampire, sworn to protect and serve his country. Cade's existence is the most closely guarded of White House secrets, a superhuman covert agent who is the last line of defense against nightmare scenarios that ordinary citizens can only dream of. When a new outbreak of an ancient evil--one that Cade has seen before--comes to light, Cade and his human handler, Zach Barrows, must track down its source. To "protect and serve" often means settling old scores and confronting new betrayals--as only a centuries-old predator can.… (more)

31 wanted1 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,394,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible