Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There…

Paranormality: Why We See What Isn't There

by Richard Wiseman

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
Too short, should have been much longer :) ( )
  MohammedMamdouhKamel | May 27, 2016 |
An easy to read look at cricial thinking and how we investigate the paranormal phenomena that are constantly cropping up around us. The author does a good job of explaining how the brain works, and also the tricks, both natural and contrived, that cause it to malfunction, making us see things that aren't there. He also has some interspersed tips for how to experience these phenomena if you've never experienced them, such as how to have an out-of-body experience. His writing is light and witty, and he puts in stories that are amusing and droll, such as the story of the talking mongoose (which has never actually been solved, so you can have the additional fun of trying to imagine possible solutions, though the evidence doesn't fit very well with an actual talking mongoose). While not as in depth or thorough as some of these books, this could be a very good introduction to the topic for anyone interested in how magicians trick us into believing the impossible. ( )
  Devil_llama | Jul 5, 2012 |
Great read. It talks about paranormal and how scientists have already did studies to prove there is no such thing.

The experiments are interesting and some are repeatable.

It is for those who already know or suspect that there is no supernatural stuff, and it is all in your minds or fake by some con men.

The greatest con are those fake miracle by religions. They are all fake. Another strong reason not to get involve in any religion that claim there is miracle. Christianity is one of the biggest con and you have to be a fool to believe in that stuff. ( )
  XOX | Jun 26, 2012 |
This is very much a 'pop' piece of science writing. It is very easy to read and occasionally funny, and its heart is very much in the right place. Give it to a teenager to prove that the supernatural doesn't exist. ( )
  Lil_Shepherd | Aug 25, 2011 |

Richard Wisemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Windt-Val, BenedictaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jeff
For reasons that will soon become apparent, it wouldn't be fair to give Mr D's real name.
Paranormality has regional subtitles: "Why We See What Isn't There" and "Why We Believe the Impossible".

Richard Wiseman is clear about one thing: paranormal phenomena don't exist. But in the same way that the science of space travel transforms our everyday lives, so research into telepathy, fortune-telling and out-of-body experiences produces remarkable insights into our brains, behaviour and beliefs. This book embarks on a wild ghost chase into this new science of the supernatural and is packed with activities that allow you to experience the impossible. So throw away your crystals, ditch your lucky charms and cancel your subscription to Reincarnation Weekly. It is time to discover the real secrets of the paranormal.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible