Stop Snoring, Bernard! by Zachariah OHora

Stop Snoring, Bernard!

by Zachariah OHora

Bernard the Otter snores, and Grumpy Giles has had enough. Bernard tries to find another place at the zoo where he can sleep without his snores bothering everyone, and eventually decides he has to leave altogether - but the other otters, even Grumpy Giles, come after him and persuade him to stay.

See also: Elmer by David McKee ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 30, 2018 |
In Stop Snoring, Bernard, Bernard gets yelled at for snoring loudly, so he goes out to try and find another place to sleep. He tried a lake, a fountain, and a puddle but none of those places worked. Eventually, the others realized they couldn't sleep without their friend Bernard and they went to find him and bring him back. This book shows a character's journey to find out where they fit. This show children that sometimes it takes time to discover that you really do fit right where you are. Genre - Picture Book.
  nicoleconduff | Mar 19, 2017 |
Good pick for forest animals, sleepy and brown storytimes. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
A charming story sure to leave a smile on any reader's face. ( )
1 vote Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
STOP SNORING, BERNARD! by Zachariah O'Hora, Henry Holt, April 2011, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-8050-9002-4
"It's raining, it's pouring,
The old man is snoring."
-- Traditional nursery rhyme
I snore. I always have, and I figure I always will. I've snored as a kid, as a teen, and as an adult. When I was but knee-high to a grasshopper, I'd often wake up in the morning all alone. All of my stuffed animals would have finally given up in the middle of the night and headed next-door to my sister's room in order to get some peace and quiet.
I come from a line of snoring guys -- my paternal line. When I was young, visiting my grandparents over vacations, my grandfather and I would perform nighttime duets that might easily be mistaken for the soundtrack to Jurassic Park.
Which is why I am so empathetic to the plight of Bernard, the otter.
"Bernard loved living at the zoo. He loved mealtime, playtime, and best of all...
"naptime!
"But there was one little problem. Bernard snored...LOUDLY!
One afternoon at naptime, Grumpy Giles had had enough. 'Snore somewhere else, Bernard!' he said."
And so Bernard heads off in search of alternative sleeping arrangements. But he disturbs the alligators in the lake; he disturbs the giraffes by the fountain; he disturbs the elephants near the puddle; and he would have disturbed the bats in the cave (where there is a subterranean pool) except that they don't sleep at night.
What's a poor little otter to do? Fortunately, Bernard's otter friends miss him and come to bring him home.
Zachariah O'Hora's acrylic illustrations are exceptionally expressive and fun. I couldn't help but smile when the mama elephant dumps a trunkful of water on the hapless otter.
Hopefully, that won't happen to me.
Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EcolIt/
FTC NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he will Pick their books. You can figure that any review was written after reading and dog-earring a free copy received. Richie retains these review copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his booktalks at schools and libraries. ( )
  richiespicks | May 3, 2011 |
To Lydia, my love
Bernard loved living at the zoo.
"Snore somewhere else, Bernard!"

Otter snores loudly/
Cannot find a place to sleep/
Friends overlook it
(waitingtoderail)

Bernard loves curling up to go to sleep. But there is one little problem. Bernard snores…LOUDLY! So loudly that he keeps all of the otters awake during naptime. So loudly that Grumpy Giles tells Bernard to move his snoring somewhere else!

Sad and lonely, Bernard tries sleeping in new places far away from the other otters: in a lake, in puddles, in a fountain. But no matter where he tries to nap, somebody complains. He just wants to hear two words: "Goodnight, Bernard!"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:51 -0400)

Because his loud snores disturb all the other animals at the zoo, Bernard the otter tries to find a solution.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,447,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible