Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

Happy Accidents

by Jane Lynch

This book is interesting in many ways. Jane Lynch thought she was ugly when she was young and that her sister was very cute. She shows pictures. They look exactly the same. She is an alcoholic who gave up her drink of choice, Miller Lite, on her own but then spent years in AA because she couldn't give up her nightly Nyquil and smoked pot once. She felt like a friendless failure even though she had as many friends as she wanted and a successful career. She was an alienating diva who made fun of others (her inner Sue Sylvester). When she finally got to the last part of the book talking about her time on Glee and her marriage the writing got better. Maybe the problem was the ghostwriter, Lisa Dickey, whom she credits with creating a "rock solid" outline for the book. Felt out of place as a child, check. Relationship problems, check. Substance abuse, check. Perhaps she felt more comfortable filling out the outline a little more when she got to the present. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Oct 1, 2014 |
I'm not surprised that at once this book is both uplifting and depressing. It's depressing because really the journey that Jane Lynch took to stardom was much like others who have written these memoirs, she got lucky, ran into the right people at the right times.

Of course as it's obvious from the breadth of roles she's done, from Dr. Reid's Mom on Criminal Minds, a definite serious role, to Sue Sylvester on Glee, a not so serious role (by the by, bummer that there was no Criminal Minds mention in the book, that was the first place I saw her and it's still my favorite of her roles by a long shot) that yes, she prepares and is a very well versed in her craft as well. But there are a lot of people who are very great at what they do, but if they don't get that lucky break (running into the right person or declining or accepting the right job that landed in their lap) then what good is their smarts and preparedness and talent.

Still, with the title being Happy Accidents, unlike the other author memoirists at least she doesn't pretend like happenstance didn't have something to do with her success.

And the book is uplifting too. I didn't mean to write so many words on the depressing part. Although more than once she says in multiple ways that her stories (in AA or in the rest of her life) aren't as interesting as others stories, she's had a ton of life experiences. And just because it's not Lindsey Lohan or Brittney Spears life experience doesn't mean that others can't glean a lot of important lessons. Including just the fact that really no one can tell you anything that can help. you sorta have to keep going as best you can and learn the lessons that you need to learn. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 22, 2014 |
Really quite boring, especially for an alleged alcoholic. I enjoy Jane Lynch. I find her smart, brilliant, talented, and funny. But "happy accidents" do seem to descibe her seminal moments, and that's not very interesting.

For Mom and Dad

. . . and every kid out there mustering up

the courage to answer the call of their

own hero's journey
If I could go back in time and talk to my twenty-year-old self, the first thing I would say is: "Lose the perm."

Jane Lynch, best known for her award-winning role as hard-driving cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester on Glee, tells the story of how she reached success by anything but a straight path. From teen alcoholic to out lesbian, from strange coincidences and chance meetings to offbeat character roles and finally a star turn--part comic memoir and part inspirational narrative, this is a book equally for the rabid Glee fan and for anyone who needs a new perspective on life, love, and success.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,891,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible