Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

Happy Accidents

by Jane Lynch

220None55,609 (3.41)6
Recently added byprivate library, dysmonia, GayCityLGBTLibrary, the.cuke, pammab
2011 (5) 2012 (5) acting (2) actors (8) actress (3) adult (2) audiobook (3) autobiography (12) biography (12) biography/memoir (2) celebrity (3) comedy (4) ebook (2) film (3) Glee (5) hardcover (2) humor (3) jane lynch (2) lesbian (4) lgbt (6) LGBTQ (3) library (3) memoir (26) movies (2) non-fiction (26) signed (2) television (7) theatre (3) to-read (9) unread (2)

Entertaining, not too self-aggrandizing or self-flagellatory, and fun to read. For all I love and respect Jane Lynch personally more from reading this book, after hearing more about the material she has played in, I don't think she is my kind of actor though.

On a deeper level, this book makes me reflect on Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers and how many extraordinary people may not be so different from better than average people except for their luck in a series of -- as the title says -- happy accidents. ( )
  pammab | Apr 3, 2014 |
(13 March 2013 – Poundland)

The last of my celebrity autobiographies picked up in Poundland (and enjoyed as a gift from M but all but one going to new homes), this was one of the better half of the deal. A good autobiography of the actress made famous to me in the Christopher Guest films (“Best in Show”, etc.) and to the world as Sue Sylvester in “Glee” (duly covered), this is clearly written, fairly clearly by Jane Lynch, and with self-knowledge and humility. It takes us all the way from her childhood to her work on “Glee”, via a plethora of stage, film and TV appearances, and also concentrates on her personal development, including some self-confessed nightmare behaviour years and an issue with alcohol.

The self-knowledge and happiness she has now is shown to have been hard-won, and she makes no excuses for herself, detailing her challenging behaviours and attitudes as she moves through her life, but ultimately positive about the opportunity for change and her long-term friendships and marriage. Good reading. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Nov 14, 2013 |
I've listened to many autobiographies and memoirs and this is one of the better ones. Lynch narrates it herself (normally I don't like this) and she is honest about herself and people in her life...while also depicting her undeniable humor. ( )
  espref | Apr 16, 2013 |
Celebrity memoirs are my guilty pleasure reading and this one fits the bill nicely. Jane Lynch had written before and it shows. I especially liked the parts where she talked about specific projects she worked on, like the Christopher Guest movies and Glee (even though I don't really watch Glee). This is a nice diversion ( )
  abbylibrarian | Dec 31, 2012 |
I love Jane Lynch as a performer, and while this made me love her as a person too, the writing was not amazing. I think listening to the audiobook would have been better. ( )
  kisigler | Nov 28, 2012 |
For Mom and Dad

. . . and every kid out there mustering up

the courage to answer the call of their

own hero's journey
If I could go back in time and talk to my twenty-year-old self, the first thing I would say is: "Lose the perm."

Jane Lynch, best known for her award-winning role as hard-driving cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester on Glee, tells the story of how she reached success by anything but a straight path. From teen alcoholic to out lesbian, from strange coincidences and chance meetings to offbeat character roles and finally a star turn--part comic memoir and part inspirational narrative, this is a book equally for the rabid Glee fan and for anyone who needs a new perspective on life, love, and success.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible