Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

Happy Accidents

by Jane Lynch

Narrated by Jane Lynch. Lynch describes finding her place in drama as a teenager in suburban Illinois, through her success as Sue Sylvester on "Glee." As she copes with alcoholism, coming to terms with her sexuality, and finding security in her own identity, she attains varying levels of success in the theater, a shopping network, voiceovers, and ultimately, roles in movies and television. She also finally finds love in her 40s with Laura, now her wife. She attributes her ascension to success to the happy accidents that often occur in life, being in the right place at the right time. It's an easy pleasure to hear Lynch read her own book; her voice is warm and friendly and even as she describes her lower moments, there's a pending reassurance that she comes out stronger for it in the end. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Very disappointing. The writing wasn't terrible (though it was tedious at times). I just never liked her as a person. ( )
  melaniefaith | Dec 2, 2015 |
This is a very real memoir, rather than a collection of funny things that happen in Jane Lynch's life. She chronicles difficulties in her life as well as all the happy accidents that got her where she is today.

This is a very good read that goes fairly quickly and is surprisingly uplifting given some of the struggles Lynch faces in the beginning. An honest and frank memoir, this book ironically meshes hope and optimism alongside cynicism and humor. ( )
  CareBear36 | Aug 18, 2015 |
After putting this book down I thought 'this is a life filled with courage & humour, and has been written in such a smart and moving way'. By the end of the first chapter, you already have a good understanding of the life Jane has lived, and oh my, it has been far from boring.

This was recommended, probably too strong a word, to read by my husband who thought that I would enjoy this book. I'm sure all he saw was the Gleek-looking cover with Jane Lynch's character Sue Sylvester. He had me sold! I really enjoyed this book and so grateful it was filled with more than just lesbian jokes, Jane's real life story definitely shines through.

I was left wondering what happened with the relationship between her and Chris? They were soul mates but once Lara and their daughter Haden appears, we don't really hear much of him. If I can remember right, he was married with a child. Did he make an appearance at their wedding? I'm not sure. Perhaps it wasn't a long term relationship but someone that Jane needed in her down times before she really came into her own.

Did you see New Zealand got a mention! I was pleasantly surprised. Jane must know where we are. I wonder if she has been here... Ms Lynch, you should come here! (bottom of pg 294 if you must read it). Maybe this one line will get other Kiwi readers to give this book a go.

This is a definite must for all the Glee fans, those who enjoy about reading successful women, and perhaps the closet lesbians. It took years for Jane to come out to her family, and did so in a letter. Maybe you can find something in Jane Lynch's story to guide you to be open and honest about who you are.

4/5 stars from me. Something was holding me back from 5 stars. Couldn't put my finger on it. How can you really judge someone's life, especially as they have told it. scrap that thought. 5 stars from me! ( )
  sharlenehsmith | Mar 9, 2015 |
A memoir by Jane Lynch best known now for her role in the TV show Glee. Jane tells her of her life growing up in a suburb of Chicago and then moving to LA, NY, etc. Was a good read overall. Jane seems to have had numerous troubles with her identity and not being liked by others. She shows us how she started to get into acting and did improv work as well as small acting parts in the Chicago area. How she lived in LA for a while and always seemed to be friendless and afraid. How she began to get career breaks and her part on Glee. Also she tells how she met her wife and started a family of her own. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Nov 30, 2014 |
For Mom and Dad

. . . and every kid out there mustering up

the courage to answer the call of their

own hero's journey
If I could go back in time and talk to my twenty-year-old self, the first thing I would say is: "Lose the perm."

Jane Lynch, best known for her award-winning role as hard-driving cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester on Glee, tells the story of how she reached success by anything but a straight path. From teen alcoholic to out lesbian, from strange coincidences and chance meetings to offbeat character roles and finally a star turn--part comic memoir and part inspirational narrative, this is a book equally for the rabid Glee fan and for anyone who needs a new perspective on life, love, and success.… (more)

58 wanted3 pay8 pay

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible