Happy Accidents by Jane Lynch

Happy Accidents

by Jane Lynch

I'm not surprised that at once this book is both uplifting and depressing. It's depressing because really the journey that Jane Lynch took to stardom was much like others who have written these memoirs, she got lucky, ran into the right people at the right times.

Of course as it's obvious from the breadth of roles she's done, from Dr. Reid's Mom on Criminal Minds, a definite serious role, to Sue Sylvester on Glee, a not so serious role (by the by, bummer that there was no Criminal Minds mention in the book, that was the first place I saw her and it's still my favorite of her roles by a long shot) that yes, she prepares and is a very well versed in her craft as well. But there are a lot of people who are very great at what they do, but if they don't get that lucky break (running into the right person or declining or accepting the right job that landed in their lap) then what good is their smarts and preparedness and talent.

Still, with the title being Happy Accidents, unlike the other author memoirists at least she doesn't pretend like happenstance didn't have something to do with her success.

And the book is uplifting too. I didn't mean to write so many words on the depressing part. Although more than once she says in multiple ways that her stories (in AA or in the rest of her life) aren't as interesting as others stories, she's had a ton of life experiences. And just because it's not Lindsey Lohan or Brittney Spears life experience doesn't mean that others can't glean a lot of important lessons. Including just the fact that really no one can tell you anything that can help. you sorta have to keep going as best you can and learn the lessons that you need to learn. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 22, 2014 |
Really quite boring, especially for an alleged alcoholic. I enjoy Jane Lynch. I find her smart, brilliant, talented, and funny. But "happy accidents" do seem to descibe her seminal moments, and that's not very interesting.

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
Entertaining, not too self-aggrandizing or self-flagellatory, and fun to read. For all I love and respect Jane Lynch personally more from reading this book, after hearing more about the material she has played in, I don't think she is my kind of actor though.

On a deeper level, this book makes me reflect on Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers and how many extraordinary people may not be so different from better than average people except for their luck in a series of -- as the title says -- happy accidents. ( )
  pammab | Apr 3, 2014 |
For Mom and Dad

. . . and every kid out there mustering up

the courage to answer the call of their

own hero's journey
If I could go back in time and talk to my twenty-year-old self, the first thing I would say is: "Lose the perm."

Jane Lynch, best known for her award-winning role as hard-driving cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester on Glee, tells the story of how she reached success by anything but a straight path. From teen alcoholic to out lesbian, from strange coincidences and chance meetings to offbeat character roles and finally a star turn--part comic memoir and part inspirational narrative, this is a book equally for the rabid Glee fan and for anyone who needs a new perspective on life, love, and success.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible