Cattle Valley, Vol. 1: All Play and No Work…

Cattle Valley, Vol. 1: All Play and No Work / Mistletoe (edition 2008)

by Carol Lynne

Member:ThamaraBCDL
Title:Cattle Valley, Vol. 1: All Play and No Work / Mistletoe
Authors:Carol Lynne
Info:Total-E-Bound Publishing (2008), Paperback, 250 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Cattle Valley, Vol. 01: All Play and No Work [and] Mistletoe by Carol Lynne

3some (1) 8#3 Fiction (1) amazon review (1) angst (1) contemporary (1) cops (1) cowboys (1) crime (1) CV1 (1) CV2 (1) drama (1) erotica (1) fiction (1) gay (1) goodreads (1) Indians (1) m-m-romance (2) m/m (3) men (1) paperback (1) print (1) religion (1) romance (2) Romance Fiction (1) series (1)

All Play & No Work (Cattle Valley) by Carol Lynne

This is a right title for the book. I think Carol Lynne has amused herself writing it, putting on a bunch of hunky men for all the women to read and no heroines around with whom have to share.

All Play & No Work, spin off of the Good-time Boys series, and first in the Cattle Valley series, is about Nate who has finally found the Mr Right of his life... but they are two, the just committed couple of alpha male Ryan (a native american) and Rio (a latin). Without doubt of the threesome, Ryan is the leading character, who have the reins of the house. He is the reason why the three men moves on Cattle Valley, Wyoming. Ryan is the new sheriff of a fantasyland city: a city built from nowhere from a rich man who has seen his only son killed for being gay and has decided to found a new city where all the same sex couple can live without problem. And so here, being gay seems to be a pre-requirement to obtain a job, and not a thing to keep secret.

Ryan is a solid and quiet character. He doesn't speak much. He takes decision. He looks on his men, and settles them down when they fly to high. Rio maybe is the character who has less chance to bright among the other two. He is not alpha enough to obscure Ryan, and not cute enough to take on Nate. Nate is a energetic bomb. Small and deadly. But he is also the clue of the couple: not between them, they had just a strong bond, but between the threesome and the new town. He makes friends and spreads smiles and helps all around.

All in all it's an enjoyable story, and I have just found my favourite characters among the new ones introduced by the author: Kyle. So now I'm waiting for his story.

Cattle Valley Mistletoe (Cattle Valley 2) by Carol Lynne

Second in the Cattle Valley series, it's the story of Casey, the new Reverend of the community, and Hal, the contractor who is hired to finish the Church common room and claims to be atheist.

Casey is new in town; the former reverend was an abusive man who betrayed all the city with his behaviour and now people are not very friendly with the new-comer. And then Casey is also very young, to his first parrish. Cattle Valley is an utopic town, where almost all the inhabitants are gay, and to obtain an employment being gay is not required, but preferable. And so also Casey is a pretty little thing with a big heart and a passion for sex. But in town no one seems to be available, at least not for him. So when Hal, the contractor he has hired, appears to his doorstep, big and strong and very hansome, to Casey falls in love at first sight is not a problem. And also Hal has no ptoblem with Casey, but perhaps with Casey's boss, the guy in the very upper floor.

But like in all the Christmas stories, good heart people are always near to give an hand, and for Casey and Hal it will be a very Happy Christmas.

Like Campus Craving series, also Cattle Valley are a series made of enjoyable short stories, more or less 100 pages each. They are pure entertainment, I think very woman-mind oriented, the perfect reading for who loves a man/man romance without too much drama. Sometimes is good to relax and enjoy.

elisa.rolle | Feb 25, 2010 |
This is the start of a beautiful love affair. At least for me. Cattle Valley is a gay friendly town founded by a man whose son was murdered in a gay bashing. It is also a series of novellas, of which the first two are included here. I read a lot of gay romance, and enjoy almost all of it, but this one quickly rose to the top. I never watched soap operas, but this series could easily be one and I find myself hooked. The stories aren’t deep, but they are dramatic, full of angst and addicting. The town is populated by a myriad of characters – all of whom are destined to get their time in the spotlight, and find true love, but in the meantime will pop up in the other character’s stories.

The first story concerns Rio, Nate and Ryan from another series by the author (which I haven’t read, but intend to look for now!). The trio is moving to Cattle Valley to settle down. Native American, heavily tattooed Ryan is the new town sheriff. Smaller, twink-like Nate is very compassionate and outgoing but also a total clotheshorse, with snobby tendencies. He quickly befriends the department store owner (who stocks actual cashmere sweaters!) who is also the victim of partner’s abuse. Nate’s efforts to find out who is abusing him, and Rio’s quest to find his place in a town who doesn’t need an ex-mercenary fill most of the novella. Along the way, we meet the town’s other residents, their prospective love interests and enjoy lots of hot, hot sex! Really hot sex, that is pleasantly graphic too.

The second story concerns the new town reverend, Casey, and the “atheist” anti-social Hal. Casey needs a contractor to finish building the new church expansion since the last one had to pull out. Hal has a reputation for hating religion, but he’s the only person left to ask. He agrees to complete the building when Casey assures him “I won’t try to save you!” Hal’s not really atheist, he’s angry at God. The two fall in love, but can they overcome such a difference of faith? This one had a little less sex than the first story (where the men were already in a committed relationship), but was more tender. So far, I’ve liked all the main characters that have been introduced.

Cattle Valley has its own website, http://www.cattlevalley.net that introduces the town, the people and their stories. Great site – almost makes the town sound real! There are 9 stories so far available as e-books. In fact, the department store owner, Wyn, has his own story already available (which I did read and enjoy). I really hope the publisher fast tracks more printed volumes, or I may just break down and buy them in e-book and again later in print. Patience is a virtue I don’t seem to have much of – and this series is just too good. Highly recommended! ( )
  jshillingford | Apr 7, 2009 |
Do not combine the print book with the ebook when they contain more than one story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,522,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible