A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

A Modern Witch (2011)

by Debora Geary

Summary: Fun light reading, but not much substance and kind of "meh"

Lauren, an upcoming real estate agent with a normal life, has lived all her life without knowing that she's a witch. Nell and her brother Jamie write some website code slash spell to find witches browsing the internet, but they don't count on it picking up someone like Lauren, who has no clue about her witchy powers. Now her powers need to be confirmed and Lauren finds herself having to confront this new reality.

My thoughts while reading the book:

While I quite enjoyed reading A Modern Witch, I also found myself frequently confused and it took me a really long while to get orientated. This is coming from a veteran of starting epic fantasy series at the second book, so it's actually quite a significant setback.

By the third chapter, still not involved in the characters or understanding the world. Most of these were trying to sell a house (yawn) or talking to some older witches about some pretty uninteresting and unexpository things via a chatroom interface. More yawn.
Also, omniscient third person seems like a very wrong choice for this novel - so much distance and confustion! Or was that a slip up?
I like the shifting P.O.V. per chapter for characters. I think the previous POV omniscience was a slip up, which is egrarious in any case
Nope, scratch that. It seems we're head-hopping. I hate that.
Characters not really coming off as unique, though I like the premise of trolling for witches on the net through magic.
Nicely written, the prose sings at places. Love that.
Ugh, what's with the lack of conflict? We're at chapter six and still nothing!
Well, it had its funny moments. Also, pretty sweet.

So, final verdict: I didn't dislike it, and it was a fun read although I doubt I'd read it again. I also probably won't be checking out the rest of the books in the series. I guess it was just too heavy on the chick-lit and too light on the paranormal, at the end of the day, despite being all about witches and witchy powers. Quite the contradiction.

Maybe it's just not what I expected? However, it seems that there are plenty of people who love it, and the writing is pretty awesome, so a solid three butterflies. ( )
  Leia-Ann | Apr 27, 2015 |
When a straight-laced real estate agent is confronted by a mysterious stranger who tells her she's really a powerful witch, should she believe him? Would YOU? What if he can prove it? What follows is a delightful and quirky journey into self discovery and acceptance. A Modern Witch may not be my usual terrain, and I may have found the obstacles faced by our dubious heroine a little too easy for her to overcome, but ultimately, this story is not about plot tension or characterization - it's an homage to joy. It simply made me feel good about life for a while. And that's more than enough reason to be glad I took the time. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
Just my opinion

I enjoyed these books. They were fun and easy reads with a bit of mystery/drama thrown in. What really makes this series enjoyable are the characters. Would have given 3 1/2 stars if able. On the wall about whether I will reread them.

Just a note: I did NOT get any free books from this author and her offer of a free book did not make me continue with the series. ( )
  Fidget78 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I found "A Modern Witch" to be a tad too cloying and precious for my taste. It wasn't a badly realised world for the most part but a couple of issues bothered me with character development.
The new witch Lauren discovers she is an extremely powerful mind witch after being thrown into a witch chat room while shopping for ice cream online.
Lauren and the four year old child Averyn are too gifted. The book focuses a lot on their training but it's stated from the beginning they are more powerful than their trainers.

The most unrealistic aspect of the book was the lack of jealousy on the part of the kids not magical. Lauren was the only character in the entire book who was ever in a bad mood. This turned out to be so because she needed protein.

I enjoyed the books Once a Witch and Always a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough for the more entertaining and complicated family dynamics.
The magical world building was similar in many ways but no one was this sugar coated and sweet. Everyone's role was to make babies. I'm not sentimental enough. I'll admit freely to crying when Neville won the house cup in Harry Potter & the Sorcerers Stone but he earned it. My cold heart was moved by his struggle throughout the entire series among the other characters.

I liked the brief story line of the coven Lauren met in Chicago. I've read one of the other novels delve into their stories. How did they react to being outed as non-magical or ridiculed like they were.
How on earth this cast of characters sustained seven books plus a spin-off without any conflict is hard to believe.

The book wasn't awful but I need a little more edge or mystery to get me involved in a seven book series. I'm not a fan of "look at the babies!" and everyone coupling up. ( )
  peptastic | Nov 15, 2013 |
I was expecting this to by my type of book, as I'm a fan of most anything paranormal or fantasy, but this book was almost difficult to read. The characters were uninteresting, the writing elementary at best, and the plot struggled to make sense, jumping characters repeatedly and the author apparently decided halfway through that her main character wasn't interesting enough, so she switched focus to a different one. It just wasn't all that great to me, but maybe my expectations were too high going in. ( )
  HeartlessOne42 | Nov 14, 2013 |
This book was amazing!!!! I read this book in 6 hours. I was captured by this book and the characters. There were times a 1am I was laughing out loud and my husband woke up and was not too happy. He hates that I read till the wee hours in the am. The writer did a great job getting the reader to feel what the different characters were feeling. The story was great. Cant wait for the next one.
added by HStieler | editMe, Heather Stieler (Mar 27, 2011)

I like the lingerie, Nell. Can I meet the woman it fits?
As they approached the Witchery shop front, he eyed the front window. There were the expected displays of books and crystals and a really crusty old cauldron. He didn't want to know what nasty science experiments it had brewed. He only knew one witch with a cauldron, and hers was copper-bottomed and kept pristinely clean. Moira would never tolerate a dirty tool.

Can you live 28 years without discovering you're a witch?

Lauren is downtown Chicago's youngest elite realtor. She's also a witch. She must be - the fetching spell for Witches' Chat isn't supposed to make mistakes. So says the woman who coded the spell, at least.

The tall, dark, and handsome guy sent to assess her is a witch too (and no, that doesn't end the way you might think). What he finds in Lauren will change lives, mess with a perfectly good career, and require lots of ice cream therapy.

Debora Geary is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,140,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible