Unforsaken by Sophie Littlefield

Unforsaken

by Sophie Littlefield

Series: Banished (2)

I liked the first one a lot more. Too much of this book was merely reacting to the events, for my tastes. I couldn't stay in it, my attention kept wandering. *shrugs* ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Unforsaken is the companion novel to Banished, which I read earlier this year and unexpectedly enjoyed. Banished was a short, but fast-paced adventure that offered readers a great chase and a thriller that kept me flipping pages and never ceased its excitement. Unforsaken picked up the story at the end of Banished and kept the pace -and the thrills, up until the very end.

After learning that she is one of the Banished, Hailey found herself on the fun, trying to hide her ability to heal people -and to create zombies. But just when things start to settle down for Hailey -or at least seem to. As she works to control her powers and build a new life with her aunt Prairie, Hailey makes the mistake of contacting her secret boyfriend Kaz, and unknowingly alerts the man hunting her about her whereabouts and she's plunged into another thrilling chase to save herself and her aunt from the man who would use her talents for evil.

Basically, Unforsaken is more of Banished, thrills, fast-paced chases and edge-of-your-seat action that keep readers flipping pages from beginning to end. Littlefield also does an excellent job of creating well-developed and strong characters in a fairly short period of time. Probably the only drawback is that this felt like just more of the same as the first book without much that's new or different, but if you enjoyed the first book, you'll enjoy this one. ( )
  BookAddictDiary | Nov 7, 2011 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

UNFORSAKEN is the follow-up to BANISHED and the final book in the Banished series. That’s both good news and bad news. It’s good because unlike in BANISHED, we aren’t left with a cruel cliffhanger at the end of UNFORSAKEN. The bad news is that I would have gladly taken a cliffhanger if it meant I could look forward to another beautifully written, emotionally evocative, action and romance packed book in this series.

UNFORSAKEN picks up shortly after the BANISHED cliffhanger. While 80% of this story is told by Hailey, there are multiple POVs introduced in UNFORSAKEN. My favorite, hands down, was Hailey’s four year old foster brother Chub. His chapters reminded me a lot of THE CURIOUS CASE OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHTIME by Mark Haddon. Chub is developmentally delayed and speaks only a few words, plus he is a Seer, so his internal thoughts were beyond fascinating. Sophie used his chapters beautifully to advance the story while providing insight into Chub’s world.

I did miss some of the more quiet and pitiful moments of Hailey’s life that were brought to life in such vivid and heartbreaking detail in BANISHED, but the tradeoff of learning more about her Healing ability and the other Banished was a fair compensation. Also the introduction of a romance that somehow wasn’t forced into a story this harrowing was a welcome addition.

Overall, UNFORSAKEN concludes a powerful series involving Irish folklore and zombies, a sweet romance, and a multi generational storyline full of breathless action and truly abhorrent villains. Sophie Littlefield continues to astound me with her poignant writing, deft blending of supernatural details, and unflinching characterizations. I am officially a fan for life.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to rape ( )
  pollywannabook | Oct 4, 2011 |

Hailey Tarbell is no typical girl. As one of the Banished who arrived from Ireland generations ago, Hailey has the power to heal—and, as she recently learned, to create zombies if she heals someone too late. But now, Hailey is finally getting a chance at a normal life. After realizing the good and bad sides of her power, Hailey has survived the unimaginable to settle with her aunt, Prairie, and her little brother, Chub, in the suburbs of Milwaukee. Finally Hailey has a loving family, nice clothes, and real friends. But her safe little world is blown apart when she tries to contact her secret boyfriend, Kaz—and alerts the incredibly dangerous man who's looking for her to her true whereabouts.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:27 -0400)

Having learned that she has powers both to heal people and to create zombies, sixteen-year-old Hailey is trying to lead a fairly normal life with her brother and aunt in Milwaukee, but when she attempts to contact her boyfriend, she brings dangerous villains--both alive and undead--to her doorstep.… (more)

Sophie Littlefield is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible