My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana…

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Diana Rowland

Member:teatiemz
Title:My Life as A White Trash Zombie
Authors:Diana Rowland
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (2011)

Recently added byUrthwild, Berly, private library, luvamystery65, neil1701
    Thereafter: Afterlife #2 (Afterlife Series) (Volume 2) by Terri Bruce (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Different versions of life after death for young women who didn't make the most of life until after they were dead.

"Zombie Powers Activate(d)"pg 294 This book was pure fun. I enjoyed every dead moment of it. A mixture of Anne Rice with Elmore Leonard is the best comparison for this writer. She has such a realistic feel to the fantastic moments described. This book will probably keep you up at nights. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
The Story

Angel is a self-proclaimed loser and white trash. Living at home with her dad is only the beginning of her woes, as she's in her mid twenties, can't hold a job and has a problem with pills. She not bothered though. She used to want ,ore out of life, but came to the conclusion that some people just aren't that lucky. After dropping out of high school and going to jail for a car deal that was too sweet to be real, she knows she's one of those unlucky people. Then she wakes up in a hospital, an apparent drug overdose, following a night out drinking. She was found naked on the side of the road and barely escaped death.

Yeah, Angel was a loser. She was white trash.

Now Angel has a new chance at life. Maybe she can keep a job, get straight and have the house she always dreamed of. Okay, maybe it involves working at a morgue, but she seems to have a knack for the job. There's only one catch…

Angel has a huge craving for brains…good thing her patients don't seem to need them anymore.

Angel Crawford’s life is about to change in more ways than one. She struggles to take on a new perspective and come to terms with her past and future, most importantly her lack of pulse and the strange notes she keeps receiving. Can she live the life of a brain-craving zombie and not turn into a monster.

My Thoughts

I enjoyed every moment of this book. The first thing I noticed was that this was not your average zombie story. Instead of the typical ' ah, zombies are taking over and eating us, we have to survive' we are given a story where zombies are a minority. They have been changed, and now they are trying to remain as hidden as possible. As long as they have their fill of brains every couple of days, they remain as warm and lively as you or me. Most of them find jobs where they brains are easy to come by, such as Angel's new job at the morgue. This means they have no need to hurt anyone to stay whole and healthy, they just use the brains from those who won't need them anymore. There's even a market for them, where one of the local zombies sells those he doesn't keep for himself.

I love that the story has a completely different perspective from the typical zombie read. I love zombie stories, and this one has really got me hooked. I like reading about Angel's life and her struggles to try and remain 'normal.' She has to go through life finding out who she is, just like we humans do. She needs to learn to understand herself, her limits and what she needs to survive.

I also like that the story isn't just about that. It also has lessons about finding yourself in general, it tells you about Angel's discovery that she can make more of herself (and that lack of money isn't the only reason to turn to drugs, drink and give up on life.). Finally, you learn about Angel's love life, or lack there of, and how she comes to terms with the fact that she deserves someone good for herself as well.

The story does have a great tale of rags to riches, though Angel doesn't get rich in money, she does learn that there are other forms of rich. She starts to stand up for herself, becomes strong and gets herself out of her self-proclaimed state of white-trash.

I love the characters in the book, as each has a deep, meaningful personality. Each character sticks to the personality they have been given, and they really do feel real, not all alive, but real.

The details, both of characters and in the storyline, are brilliant. There are enough details that you know and trust everything is happening, but to enough are given to actually ruin any of the surprises that are to come.

The pace of the story is perfection. It moves swiftly, keeping your attention held, and gives you snippets of details about the brain-eating issue throughout. However, it doesn't move so fast that you aren't able to get into the story. It is just right.

OVERALL: I really enjoyed every second of this book. It was engaging, interesting and had great side lessons/stories. I know there are two more books at the moment, in the series, and I cannot wait to have a go at them. I want to know what happens to Angel and her friends next. She has so much more to learn, do, achieve and I cannot wait to see what happens. After the ending, I was left on the edge of my seat, excited and happy for Angel, but also worried and wondering where they will go from here. I would highly recommend this books to anyone age 14 and above. It does have gory details, but nothing that couldn't be handled or expected in those ages. It really is a read that you shouldn't pass up, especially if you are a zombie fan. I've never read a book like it. ( )
  naturalbri | Oct 26, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this. It's far from fine literature of course. In fact, like its main character, its kind of trashy. But that's fine, you know? Sometimes some funny, quick-reading, trashy fun is what you want.

I really enjoyed Angels character development, I liked the world building, and the writing was good enough to ignore. ( )
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |

Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
Sometimes I want something light and silly to read, especially before going to sleep at night, and this book is both light and silly, not necessarily and bad thing. I listened to the Audible version, and the narrator's drawl was perfect.

I am not a big reader of zombie stories, so do not know all the rules of zombiehood, but I think these were stretched a bit. Given that, who's to say how zombies really behave?

This particular one seems to have trouble realizing she is a zombie despite her sudden appetite for brains. She is a loser, through and through, raised by and associating with losers.

Nevertheless, I liked the characters in this book. The protagonist is completely likable. The take on zombie-ism is refreshing. The story in places dragged a bit and was repetitious, but it was still quick to read. Not a lot of plot, no poetic literary writing, but I get plenty of both in other books, just wanted entertainment with this one.

I will probably listen to the next book in the series but won't be bereft if I don't get to it, so 4 out of 5 stars for the entertainment value in this genre. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Aug 30, 2014 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You should be dead," the ER nurse stated as she adjusted something on my IV.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406757, Mass Market Paperback)

Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay "alive"...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

"Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay 'alive'"--From www.amazon.com… (more)

78 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible