My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana…

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Diana Rowland

Member:teatiemz
Title:My Life as A White Trash Zombie
Authors:Diana Rowland
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (2011)

Thereafter: Afterlife #2 (Afterlife Series) (Volume 2) by Terri Bruce (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Different versions of life after death for young women who didn't make the most of life until after they were dead.

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

My Life as A White Trash Zombie is book one in the new White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland.

Angel Crawford is white trash in all the sense of the term. She is a high school drop out, pill popper with a criminal record who cannot keep a job for more than couple of days. She lives in a dump of a house with her abusive alcoholic father. To complete the perfect picture her on-and-off boyfriend is another drug addict loser.

When Angel wakes up in a hospital, she vaguely remembers being in a gruesome car accident and being seriously injured but she doesn’t have any scratches, even less a broken bone and she’s feeling better than ever. A nurse comes to her room and informs her she was found naked in the middle of the road and was brought in because of an over dose. A Good Samaritan has left clothes, a note and a cooler with couple of frappuccino resembling drinks for her. In the note there are instructions to drink one of the bottles every other day, also to go next day to the Coroner’s Office, a job as a van driver will be waiting for her. She has to keep the job for at least a month, if she fails, this mystery person will inform her probation officer about her OD and Angel will be back in jail for drug use.
There is nothing Angel can do, she doesn’t want to go back to jail so she goes to the Coroner’s Office the next day and soon after she starts to work there. During her first day on the job Angel has to assist a pathologist with an autopsy. All her life Angel has been very queasy and is afraid she is going to lose her stomach during the procedure, but something completely unexpected happens, she is not a bit queasy, she is feeling hungry, especially when the brain is being examined. She thinks she is loosing her mind, just to later find out she is now a zombie and needs to eat brains to survive.
Angel is doing great, she is learning fast and having fun with in her new job. She is glad she was given a second chance even though her diet now is a little bit hectic to say the least. But when headless corpses start turning up she is not sure if she should be upset or worried, somebody in town is “having” brains and is not her.

Diana Rowland knows what she is writing about, she has worked as “a street cop, a detective, a computer forensics specialist, a crime scene investigator, and a morgue assistant”, because of this she makes My Life as A White Trash Zombie as realistic as possible, ok, I’m saying this not taking the zombie factor in consideration, now I’m babbling, I do that sometimes when I like something so much and I’m still babbling… ok what I wanted to say is that the descriptions in this book felt very real, the yuckiness factor is high but very cool and interesting, almost like watching a more real CSI.

Angel is a flawed character. She has been a complete loser all her life, it was almost expected that she turned out like that with the examples she has had all her life, from a crazy mother that killed herself, a drunkard abusive father to friends that are drug addicts and criminals. But now she has given a second chance and is not going to waste it. She is reinventing herself, she is starting to learn that she has value and wants to be better every day, maybe she had to die to learn the lesson, but she has learned it.
Angel is a very appealing character; she is easy to understand, to connect with and after a while almost to admire her determination. Angel’s new life has given her lemons and now she is making lemonade, ok, not lemons, more like brains and she is making brain juices, but anyway she is making the best with what she is given. I found myself rooting for her page after page wanting her to succeed and to be happy.

All the secondary characters contribute something to the story; they are all interesting and different in a unique kind of way. Some of them you will like from the beginning, some others you will hate and will want them to disappear. All this strong feelings these characters will make you experience is thanks to the magic Mrs. Rowland creates with her words.

My Life as A White Trash Zombie is a very original and innovative read, where zombies can live as normal people in society, of course they have to sustain a brain-ivorous diet to maintain a nice skin complexion and keep all their parts attached to their bodies, but apart from that they are just like you or me with some extra strength and speed.

I’m a big fan of Diana Rowland and her Kara Gillian series. I was very excited when I learned she was writing a new zombie series and when I saw the cover of My Life as A White Trash Zombie I knew I “have” to read it and let me tell you that Mrs. Rowland has done it again. My Life as A White Trash Zombie is a great and funny book, with amazing characters, a plot with mysteries, twists and turns that will have you wondering page after page and an end that will leave you with a “What? Him/she, no, I didn’t see that one coming”, but all in a good way, I guarantee you.
The only problem I have with this book is having to wait until next year for the next installment called Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues.

I recommend My Life as A White Trash Zombie not just to all zombies’ fans but also to all urban fantasy lovers. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Yes. You saw those 4 stars. Yes I gave a book about a white trash zombie 4 stars. I have my reasons. Let me start by saying I have a strong dislike for the color pink. This is one of my favorite book covers. Ever. Behind that awesome cover is a pretty cool story.

We have Angel, the white trash. She is the most REAL character I have read in a long time. I was able to connect to my own inner white trash. Seriously I think there is a little white trash in everyone. We just choose to ignore it, and deny it. Angel does not. I liked her. Plain and simple. She was who she was and that was it.

Oh, but the zombie part. That is where the cool comes in. Not gonna say much folks. It is a pretty sweet twist on the whole zombie mentality. The whole zombie genre. A nice refreshing twist. That is all you will get.

Be bold and daring, pick up that book with the most vile of colors. I assure you, the bit on the inside is fun. Good fun. We should all read good fun. Stop being so serious. (spoken in my Joker voice)

jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Delicious as a fresh juicy brain. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
"Zombie Powers Activate(d)"pg 294 This book was pure fun. I enjoyed every dead moment of it. A mixture of Anne Rice with Elmore Leonard is the best comparison for this writer. She has such a realistic feel to the fantastic moments described. This book will probably keep you up at nights. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
The Story

Angel is a self-proclaimed loser and white trash. Living at home with her dad is only the beginning of her woes, as she's in her mid twenties, can't hold a job and has a problem with pills. She not bothered though. She used to want ,ore out of life, but came to the conclusion that some people just aren't that lucky. After dropping out of high school and going to jail for a car deal that was too sweet to be real, she knows she's one of those unlucky people. Then she wakes up in a hospital, an apparent drug overdose, following a night out drinking. She was found naked on the side of the road and barely escaped death.

Yeah, Angel was a loser. She was white trash.

Now Angel has a new chance at life. Maybe she can keep a job, get straight and have the house she always dreamed of. Okay, maybe it involves working at a morgue, but she seems to have a knack for the job. There's only one catch…

Angel has a huge craving for brains…good thing her patients don't seem to need them anymore.

Angel Crawford’s life is about to change in more ways than one. She struggles to take on a new perspective and come to terms with her past and future, most importantly her lack of pulse and the strange notes she keeps receiving. Can she live the life of a brain-craving zombie and not turn into a monster.

My Thoughts

I enjoyed every moment of this book. The first thing I noticed was that this was not your average zombie story. Instead of the typical ' ah, zombies are taking over and eating us, we have to survive' we are given a story where zombies are a minority. They have been changed, and now they are trying to remain as hidden as possible. As long as they have their fill of brains every couple of days, they remain as warm and lively as you or me. Most of them find jobs where they brains are easy to come by, such as Angel's new job at the morgue. This means they have no need to hurt anyone to stay whole and healthy, they just use the brains from those who won't need them anymore. There's even a market for them, where one of the local zombies sells those he doesn't keep for himself.

I love that the story has a completely different perspective from the typical zombie read. I love zombie stories, and this one has really got me hooked. I like reading about Angel's life and her struggles to try and remain 'normal.' She has to go through life finding out who she is, just like we humans do. She needs to learn to understand herself, her limits and what she needs to survive.

I also like that the story isn't just about that. It also has lessons about finding yourself in general, it tells you about Angel's discovery that she can make more of herself (and that lack of money isn't the only reason to turn to drugs, drink and give up on life.). Finally, you learn about Angel's love life, or lack there of, and how she comes to terms with the fact that she deserves someone good for herself as well.

The story does have a great tale of rags to riches, though Angel doesn't get rich in money, she does learn that there are other forms of rich. She starts to stand up for herself, becomes strong and gets herself out of her self-proclaimed state of white-trash.

I love the characters in the book, as each has a deep, meaningful personality. Each character sticks to the personality they have been given, and they really do feel real, not all alive, but real.

The details, both of characters and in the storyline, are brilliant. There are enough details that you know and trust everything is happening, but to enough are given to actually ruin any of the surprises that are to come.

The pace of the story is perfection. It moves swiftly, keeping your attention held, and gives you snippets of details about the brain-eating issue throughout. However, it doesn't move so fast that you aren't able to get into the story. It is just right.

OVERALL: I really enjoyed every second of this book. It was engaging, interesting and had great side lessons/stories. I know there are two more books at the moment, in the series, and I cannot wait to have a go at them. I want to know what happens to Angel and her friends next. She has so much more to learn, do, achieve and I cannot wait to see what happens. After the ending, I was left on the edge of my seat, excited and happy for Angel, but also worried and wondering where they will go from here. I would highly recommend this books to anyone age 14 and above. It does have gory details, but nothing that couldn't be handled or expected in those ages. It really is a read that you shouldn't pass up, especially if you are a zombie fan. I've never read a book like it. ( )
  naturalbri | Oct 26, 2014 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You should be dead," the ER nurse stated as she adjusted something on my IV.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406757, Mass Market Paperback)

Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay "alive"...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

"Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay 'alive'"--From www.amazon.com… (more)

78 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible