My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash…

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Diana Rowland

Member:randys_bookbuzz
Title:My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1)
Authors:Diana Rowland
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:paranormal, white trash zombie series

My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (2011)

Thereafter: Afterlife #2 (Afterlife Series) (Volume 2) by Terri Bruce (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Different versions of life after death for young women who didn't make the most of life until after they were dead.

I absolutely love this book! It is irreverent, gritty, raw, and yet filled with characters that are still sympathetic. The main character isn't just flawed... she is damaged. Yet, even with all of that, there is a lot of snarky humor that I would not have not expected.

In a weird way, this was a bit of a coming of age story for Angel, our white trash zombie. First, she has to come to grips with her new life and learn how to live as a zombie in a human world. And, second, she has to grow up if she wants to stay alive. It's interesting that dying seems to save her life... in more than one way.

I love Angel. She has had a rocky life and she hasn't risen above it. A neglectful dad, a druggie boyfriend, and an unfortunate pill-popping habit. She's a convicted felon, working dead end jobs that never last. She's a high school drop out. She has no future, not really. And then she dies and suddenly she has what she never even considered... the possibility of a future. She is not created to be anything more than what she is and I love that who she is, beyond all the damage, stays true. Her character doesn't suddenly become Pollyanna, but remains true to Angel... in all her white trash glory. I love, love, love that!

All of the characters in this book are fantastic. Kang works for a local funeral home and comes off as an Asian Goth gangster, chains and all. But Marcus, our cop love interest, he is where my heart lies. I love that he is a cop, through and through, and yet he doesn't judge. He has dealt with Angel before in her rather nefarious past, but he still doesn't judge her. Fantastic!

In addition to being a zombie novel, it is a good, old-fashioned murder mystery. Her role in all of this is very unique, and I am not going to expand on that for fear of spoilers! But there are lots of unexpected moments and twists that create a lot of suspense. If the cast of CSI survived on brain smoothies, you would be in the general ballpark of White Trash Zombie!

I'm not going to lie... the cover hooked me even before I knew what the book was about! Fantastically wonderful!

Things to love...

--Angel. I love that she stayed true to herself, even as her life turned inside out.
--Marcus. I love the total lack of judgment. That's refreshing!
--The humor. There was a lot of situational and snarky humor that I really appreciated.
--The ability to make me cringe at some of the more descriptive flesh-falling passages, yet make me laugh at the same time.

Some Quotastic Goodness

--But I'd been craving brains. The smell was like chocolate and cookies and biscuits and gravy and everything else that was delicious. It damn near drove me crazy every time I had to touch one. I’d been fighting the cravings the way I’d never fought the urge to take drugs or get drunk (Loc 40).
--“Still, waking up this early was just wrong. “Why can’t people be reasonable and only die after eleven A.M.?” I whined (Loc. 697).”
--"It reminds me of an old joke: What did the Zombie say to the whore?"
I looked at him blankly. "Um....what?"
He winked. "Keep the tip (Loc. 1871).”

My Recommendation: Fantastically fun, fantastically humorous... just plain fantastic! This is a must read for supe fans, mystery fans, and snark fans!

This review originally appeared on my blog, http://thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=9431. ( )
1 vote Kiki870 | May 7, 2014 |
It is a different perspective on the life of a zombie. Sure, others have written books from the zombie point of view, but mostly in the environment of a zombie apocalypse. Here the zombies are living among humnans, mostly undetected.

The main character is troubled and interesting, and active about trying to make the most of a life she nearly wasted. Becoming a zombie actually saved her life.

Is she happy with the end results? No, not so much, but she will learn to live with the new burden she has, and try her best to make something of herself.

It was hard to accept the "home life" component of the story - because we start with her being strong (but confused), it was hard to orient that with how weak she was in terms of her relationships with her father and boyfriend.

But, of course, as long as you remember this is a pulp urban fantasy novel about zombies, you will be pleased at the quality of the story. It is well written, with a main character we can like and root for, and contains a reasonable mystery to boot. ( )
  crazybatcow | Apr 22, 2014 |
An amusing novel about a troubled woman who gets a second chance at life as a zombie working at morgue. Meanwhile a serial killer has been decapitating people and keeping the heads that have the brains she needs to survive. This is the first book in the White Trash Zombie series.

My Life As A White Trash Zombie is a darkly humorous novel. The story has an interesting take on zombies as immortal beings that need to eat human brains every other day to avoid decomposing and becoming aggressively insane. The author also vividly describes morgue, forensic, and police procedures based on her experience from prior employment.

The story has a distinct voice in the first person perspective. The main character is candid about her life as a self proclaimed loser and drug addict. Her old vices become ineffective and replaced with the need for brains.

The underlying commentary on addiction and sobriety was a bit excessive and skewed. It tended to focus solely on her trying to take control of her new life while still living in a toxic environment.

The story was very character driven so the plot was more exploratory in nature. As a result I felt the pacing was off and upset the mystery arc the author was trying to instill. The main character also tended to be more reactive in her personal life and somewhat more proactive in her need for brains.

My Life As A White Trash Zombie is an amusing read about a newly turned zombie that showcases an accurate portrayal of morgue and police procedures. ( )
  eloquent_codex | Apr 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I loved the character development. I wish some of the other characters were a little deeper, but it was all pretty good. I would recommend this to others. Plus the whole running mystery stayed that way until nearly the end, which was awesome. I hate when its too obvious. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
Good concept and execution. Was a little baffled by her casual attitude about how she became a zombie. I know it's a zombie book, but the worry about her next meal was annoying by the end. For a while it seemed as if that was the whole story. Glad to see character growth toward the end and I look forward to starting the next book and seeing how Angel continues to discover who she really is ( )
  CinderH | Feb 5, 2014 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You should be dead," the ER nurse stated as she adjusted something on my IV.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406757, Mass Market Paperback)

Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay "alive"...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

"Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay 'alive'"--From www.amazon.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible