My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash…

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Diana Rowland

3265133,940 (4)30
Member:randys_bookbuzz
Title:My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1)
Authors:Diana Rowland
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:paranormal, white trash zombie series

My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (2011)

Thereafter: Afterlife #2 (Afterlife Series) (Volume 2) by Terri Bruce (baystateRA)
    baystateRA: Different versions of life after death for young women who didn't make the most of life until after they were dead.

First reviewed by One Curvy blogger

THE WRITING

If you’ve been a long-time reader of my blog, you’ve probably I have something of a creepy fascination with all things dead. And by dead I mean undead. And by undead I mean zombies. I’m obsessed with zombies. There, I said it. I’m a loud and proud zombie fanatic! It can take me a bit to pick up a zombie book sometimes, because I’m anal and think I won’t enjoy it and so for some reason it makes sense for me to hold off reading it for as long as physically possible. I know, I know, this screams “needs psychological help.”

I’ve known about this particular zombie book since it first came out, but I never really had the urge to purchase it until several of my favorite bloggers read it and raved about it. Why? My idea of the perfect zombie book involves humanity on the brink of extinction and virus spreading mindless monsters with no control of their hunger for living human flesh. This is typically a theme found in horror, not the urban fantasy.

I’ve never tried to read a book about a zombie trying to hold on to its grip on humanity but, as it turns out, out I love these too! Or at least, this one. I can now say I have joined the white trash zombie fandom and cannot wait to read more by Diana Rowland! I had such a connection with My Life as a White Trash Zombie, I had a hard time putting it down. The writing was superb and so down to earth that I really couldn’t find a single fault with it.

THE STORY

The title My Life As a White Trash Zombie pretty much sums up the main conflict in the book: Angel’s struggle to finally rise above her “white trash” background, finally accept herself, and live an (undead) life that she can be proud of. Add a mandatory new diet into the mix, a job at the Coroner’s Office she’s been blackmailed into accepting, and a mysterious serial killer who seems to be collecting heads as trophies … now really, why did I wait so long to read this book?! *facepalm*

When I finally started My Life as a White Trash Zombie I realized this book was MADE FOR ME. The story was a lot more complex than I initially gave it credit for and was completely blindsided by the final plot reveal at the end of the book! There is also a small romance plot to keep the romance junkie in me satisfied. 😀

THE CHARACTERS

I was equal parts smitten and heartbroken by Angel’s character. She has had such a rough life … honestly, the new brain diet isn’t even the worst problem she’s ever faced. She has a mean drunk for a father that she lives with and a dead, mentally ill mom that blamed her for breathing. I’m unsurprised she turned to pills to cope and was so happy to see things finally going right for her, even though she runs into plenty of bumps along the way.

❝Sighing, I dropped my head back to the pillow. I hadn’t been in a coma. The nurse wasn’t lying or messing with my head. No, I was simply a loser. ❞

The most heartbreaking of all is Angel’s complete lack of self-esteem. She was such a kick-ass heroine, overcoming so much adversity, it was hard to watch her hate herself, but under the circumstances, I’m not really surprised. If you hear you’re nothing but a “white trash loser” all your life, you start to believe it as truth.

THE END

I loved My Life as a White Trash Zombie. I never expected to feel so much for a book I was sure to be too ridiculous to take seriously, but it was plenty easy when I finally gave it a chance. It drew so many emotions from me – laughter, sadness, pity, pride, curiosity. Honestly, I cannot wait for the chance to read book two. If you’ve seen this book circling book blogs and brushed it off because of the title, seriously, GIVE IT A CHANCE! ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | May 1, 2015 |
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

My Life as A White Trash Zombie is book one in the new White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland.

Angel Crawford is white trash in all the sense of the term. She is a high school drop out, pill popper with a criminal record who cannot keep a job for more than couple of days. She lives in a dump of a house with her abusive alcoholic father. To complete the perfect picture her on-and-off boyfriend is another drug addict loser.

When Angel wakes up in a hospital, she vaguely remembers being in a gruesome car accident and being seriously injured but she doesn’t have any scratches, even less a broken bone and she’s feeling better than ever. A nurse comes to her room and informs her she was found naked in the middle of the road and was brought in because of an over dose. A Good Samaritan has left clothes, a note and a cooler with couple of frappuccino resembling drinks for her. In the note there are instructions to drink one of the bottles every other day, also to go next day to the Coroner’s Office, a job as a van driver will be waiting for her. She has to keep the job for at least a month, if she fails, this mystery person will inform her probation officer about her OD and Angel will be back in jail for drug use.
There is nothing Angel can do, she doesn’t want to go back to jail so she goes to the Coroner’s Office the next day and soon after she starts to work there. During her first day on the job Angel has to assist a pathologist with an autopsy. All her life Angel has been very queasy and is afraid she is going to lose her stomach during the procedure, but something completely unexpected happens, she is not a bit queasy, she is feeling hungry, especially when the brain is being examined. She thinks she is loosing her mind, just to later find out she is now a zombie and needs to eat brains to survive.
Angel is doing great, she is learning fast and having fun with in her new job. She is glad she was given a second chance even though her diet now is a little bit hectic to say the least. But when headless corpses start turning up she is not sure if she should be upset or worried, somebody in town is “having” brains and is not her.

Diana Rowland knows what she is writing about, she has worked as “a street cop, a detective, a computer forensics specialist, a crime scene investigator, and a morgue assistant”, because of this she makes My Life as A White Trash Zombie as realistic as possible, ok, I’m saying this not taking the zombie factor in consideration, now I’m babbling, I do that sometimes when I like something so much and I’m still babbling… ok what I wanted to say is that the descriptions in this book felt very real, the yuckiness factor is high but very cool and interesting, almost like watching a more real CSI.

Angel is a flawed character. She has been a complete loser all her life, it was almost expected that she turned out like that with the examples she has had all her life, from a crazy mother that killed herself, a drunkard abusive father to friends that are drug addicts and criminals. But now she has given a second chance and is not going to waste it. She is reinventing herself, she is starting to learn that she has value and wants to be better every day, maybe she had to die to learn the lesson, but she has learned it.
Angel is a very appealing character; she is easy to understand, to connect with and after a while almost to admire her determination. Angel’s new life has given her lemons and now she is making lemonade, ok, not lemons, more like brains and she is making brain juices, but anyway she is making the best with what she is given. I found myself rooting for her page after page wanting her to succeed and to be happy.

All the secondary characters contribute something to the story; they are all interesting and different in a unique kind of way. Some of them you will like from the beginning, some others you will hate and will want them to disappear. All this strong feelings these characters will make you experience is thanks to the magic Mrs. Rowland creates with her words.

My Life as A White Trash Zombie is a very original and innovative read, where zombies can live as normal people in society, of course they have to sustain a brain-ivorous diet to maintain a nice skin complexion and keep all their parts attached to their bodies, but apart from that they are just like you or me with some extra strength and speed.

I’m a big fan of Diana Rowland and her Kara Gillian series. I was very excited when I learned she was writing a new zombie series and when I saw the cover of My Life as A White Trash Zombie I knew I “have” to read it and let me tell you that Mrs. Rowland has done it again. My Life as A White Trash Zombie is a great and funny book, with amazing characters, a plot with mysteries, twists and turns that will have you wondering page after page and an end that will leave you with a “What? Him/she, no, I didn’t see that one coming”, but all in a good way, I guarantee you.
The only problem I have with this book is having to wait until next year for the next installment called Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues.

I recommend My Life as A White Trash Zombie not just to all zombies’ fans but also to all urban fantasy lovers. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Yes. You saw those 4 stars. Yes I gave a book about a white trash zombie 4 stars. I have my reasons. Let me start by saying I have a strong dislike for the color pink. This is one of my favorite book covers. Ever. Behind that awesome cover is a pretty cool story.

We have Angel, the white trash. She is the most REAL character I have read in a long time. I was able to connect to my own inner white trash. Seriously I think there is a little white trash in everyone. We just choose to ignore it, and deny it. Angel does not. I liked her. Plain and simple. She was who she was and that was it.

Oh, but the zombie part. That is where the cool comes in. Not gonna say much folks. It is a pretty sweet twist on the whole zombie mentality. The whole zombie genre. A nice refreshing twist. That is all you will get.

Be bold and daring, pick up that book with the most vile of colors. I assure you, the bit on the inside is fun. Good fun. We should all read good fun. Stop being so serious. (spoken in my Joker voice)

jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Delicious as a fresh juicy brain. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
"Zombie Powers Activate(d)"pg 294 This book was pure fun. I enjoyed every dead moment of it. A mixture of Anne Rice with Elmore Leonard is the best comparison for this writer. She has such a realistic feel to the fantastic moments described. This book will probably keep you up at nights. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You should be dead," the ER nurse stated as she adjusted something on my IV.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406757, Mass Market Paperback)

Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay "alive"...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

"Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay 'alive'"--From www.amazon.com… (more)

78 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible