My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash…

My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Diana Rowland

268None42,847 (3.99)18
Member:randys_bookbuzz
Title:My Life as A White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1)
Authors:Diana Rowland
Info:DAW (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:paranormal, white trash zombie series

My Life as A White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland (2011)

An amusing novel about a troubled woman who gets a second chance at life as a zombie working at morgue. Meanwhile a serial killer has been decapitating people and keeping the heads that have the brains she needs to survive. This is the first book in the White Trash Zombie series.

My Life As A White Trash Zombie is a darkly humorous novel. The story has an interesting take on zombies as immortal beings that need to eat human brains every other day to avoid decomposing and becoming aggressively insane. The author also vividly describes morgue, forensic, and police procedures based on her experience from prior employment.

The story has a distinct voice in the first person perspective. The main character is candid about her life as a self proclaimed loser and drug addict. Her old vices become ineffective and replaced with the need for brains.

The underlying commentary on addiction and sobriety was a bit excessive and skewed. It tended to focus solely on her trying to take control of her new life while still living in a toxic environment.

The story was very character driven so the plot was more exploratory in nature. As a result I felt the pacing was off and upset the mystery arc the author was trying to instill. The main character also tended to be more reactive in her personal life and somewhat more proactive in her need for brains.

My Life As A White Trash Zombie is an amusing read about a newly turned zombie that showcases an accurate portrayal of morgue and police procedures. ( )
  eloquent_codex | Apr 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. I loved the character development. I wish some of the other characters were a little deeper, but it was all pretty good. I would recommend this to others. Plus the whole running mystery stayed that way until nearly the end, which was awesome. I hate when its too obvious. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
Good concept and execution. Was a little baffled by her casual attitude about how she became a zombie. I know it's a zombie book, but the worry about her next meal was annoying by the end. For a while it seemed as if that was the whole story. Glad to see character growth toward the end and I look forward to starting the next book and seeing how Angel continues to discover who she really is ( )
  CinderH | Feb 5, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

As much as I enjoy watching zombies on TV, they’ve never managed to work their way into my reading rotation until now. Previously, the very idea of a protagonist eating brains freaked me out but the way that Diana Rowland developed Angel’s character has me singing a different tune. I enjoyed the author’s snarky sense of humor and her unique spin on the standard murder mystery story line. Allison McLemore’s narration also helped make this audiobook an especially enjoyable listen thanks to her authentic southern drawl and the ease with which she donned the heroine’s shoes.

I liked the way the author gradually introduced both her readers and Angel to life as a zombie. Crawford has no idea that her world has been forever changed when she wakes-up in the ER after an apparent drug overdose until she receives the first of several notes from her anonymous savior. Slowly uncovering the mysteries surrounding her new condition made the reality much easier to swallow and I always enjoy reading about the growing pains that new supes experience regardless of whether they turn furry once a month or, in this case, eat brains.

Angel is far from being your typical go-getter Urban Fantasy protagonist; she’s a convicted, drug addicted, high school drop-out who lives with her alcoholic father, in short, she’s trailer trash. And, oddly enough, one of the best things that’s ever happened to her is her new walking dead status. Becoming a zombie forces her to grow up and take control of her life because now she has to make sure she eats right, keeps her job and avoids detection otherwise the consequences could be fatal.

The unconventional murder mystery angle was an unexpected surprise; rather than experiencing this book’s plot line from a cop or P.I.’s perspective, Angel has a unique view of the crime scenes because of her job and heightened senses. I enjoyed watching her interactions with the various law enforcement types and how they slowly welcome her into their club even with her checkered background. The twist at the end caught me off guard but I’m happy that it led to a little showdown which had Angel downing brains like Popeye eats spinach.

One of my favorite accents to listen to is the southern twang and Allison McLemore does a fab job of it thanks to her roots. I don’t mean this as an insult but she makes excellent trailer trash! MY LIFE AS A WHITE TRASH ZOMBIE is a fun listen that’ll make you feel differently about eating brains. ( )
  RabidReads | Jan 20, 2014 |
I really loved this book! I felt it was incredibly fun and engaging with a great plot and cast of characters. ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Jan 3, 2014 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You should be dead," the ER nurse stated as she adjusted something on my IV.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756406757, Mass Market Paperback)

Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay "alive"...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:45 -0400)

"Teenage delinquent Angel Crawford lives with her redneck father in the swamps of southern Louisiana. She's a high school dropout, addicted to drugs and alcohol, and has a police record a mile long. But when she's made into a zombie after a car crash, her addictions disappear, except for her all-consuming need to stay 'alive'"--From www.amazon.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible