Unnatural (Archangel Academy) by Michael…

Unnatural (Archangel Academy) (edition 2011)

by Michael Griffo

Member:rose_81
Title:Unnatural (Archangel Academy)
Authors:Michael Griffo
Info:K-Teen (2011), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:kärlek, ungdomsbok, vampyrer, spänning, skola, internatskola/college, HBTQ, mord, USA

Unnatural by Michael Griffo

2013 (1) boarding schools (1) ebook (3) fantasy (2) fiction (1) gay (3) gay teens (1) juvenile (1) kids (1) lgbt (2) m/m (2) mm-romance (1) murder (1) novel (1) own (1) owned (1) paranormal (2) romance (2) school (1) secrecy (1) secrets (1) size:large (1) suspense (1) teen (2) to-read (4) USA (1) vampires (9) wishlist (2) YA (5) young adult (3)

Unnatural by Michael Griffo

This is a story of a young man named Michael who is living in the small town of Weeping Waters, Nebraska with his mother and grandparents. The Michael we get to see in the beginning of the book is very unhappy, sad, you feel so bad for him. He is picked on at school, bullied, isolated and struggling with who he is and his attraction to other boys. He dreams of a better life. His grandparents are distant, him mother is depressed all the time, it’s quite the sad tale. Then to make matters worse Michael’s mother commits suicide. Next thing he knows his father arrives from England to take Michael back to London after his mother’s funeral. Michael doesn’t hesitate in leaving; he cannot believe his luck he finally gets to leave the small town of Weeping Waters and hopefully begin a new life.

When he arrives in London he finds out his father is away on business and his chauffer will be driving him directly to the boarding school he will be attending; Archangel Academy a school for boys. Arriving at school Michael feel a tremendous weight of his shoulders he feels for this first time in his life he is actually home and maybe he could be happy here.

We are introduced to some of the other characters in the book and we get to see some of what they are thinking about. The author does a terrific job with each of the characters points of view.

But of course the best part of any romance is when Michaels see Ronan standing in the rain they both can’t take their eyes of each other. Of course in everything that starts nothing goes as smooth as they want but they both know they feel strongly for each other. This is an amazing story of two young men finding love and accepting who they are.

This is a YA/Paranormal romance between two young men, author Michael Griffo does a terrific job at writing a paranormal romance and puts his own twist on the types of vampires we read about. It’s new and different and I really enjoyed reading Unnatural. There are many other characters in this book that make it a terrific read. It's not just a romance novel though there is murder and some mystery and I recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal books.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Unlike most of the books I received to review, I actually asked a copy of this one; why? Well since I wanted to understand a little all this talking about Twilight and Co and I didn’t want to read THAT series. Young adult and het romance together were a little too much for me, so when I heard about a gay vampire teenager series, I thought, good, this I can read. I was not at all discouraged by the not-so-positive reviews I read around mostly because my idea was that who was writing them was not a teenager and you have not to forget this is a book that not only it’s classified by the same publisher as “young adult”, it was even released in a special line, K-Teen, that is targeting a young adult reader. So when I read comment like, everything seems too “youngish”, my reaction is “geez, have you or not read the book details? This is a Young Adult book! You should give positive point to the author to have been able to meet the target!”. Also since Michael Griffo is the pen-name of an author of a previous Gay Romance targeting a more adult reader, and having read that romance, I can tell you that he can be very, very adult-like if he wants.

Going back in track and talking about the story, even if the book is almost 500 pages long, it took me only 2 nights reading it since it flowed like water. The vampire theme is good, and with a twist that makes it original among so many trite similar novels, but all in all it was not even so predominant: I had the feeling the plot centered more around the romance between Michael and Ronan than not on the paranormal nature of Ronan. The novel had very much the feeling of a high-school romance and the issues that Michael and Ronan initially faced were more that of two young boys being in love and not being sure of each other feelings. Even the “evil” plot that is endangering their relationship seems more the plotting of jealous high-school mates than that of real dangerous villains.

True, to some readers all above could sound like the novel doesn’t have “deepness”, but again, I would like to highlight the real target of this book, i.e. teenagers; the average teenager wants enough complexity to be engaged but not too much to be “bothered”, the pace has to be fast and light. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the quality has to be low since the target is Young Adult, I’m saying that the “tricks” to attract a Young Adult are different. Me from my side enjoyed quite a lot that the fire between Michael and Ronan ignited easily and without much obstacles, I don’t particular enjoy when the drama of first love is diluted for long. And another point I enjoyed was that that same love was also “sexy” and physical; even if they are both teenagers, these are young men and as such they have strong sexual impulses; again don’t get me wrong, this is far from being an erotic romance, but at the same time, the two boys will be able to enjoy themselves and their young age.

elisa.rolle | Oct 26, 2011 |
In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it’s a place filled with secrets. Just like its students…

For Michael Howard, being plucked from his Nebraska hometown and sent thousands of miles away is as close as he’s ever come to a miracle. In Weeping Water, he felt trapped, alone. At Archangel Academy, Michael belongs. And in Ciaran, Penry, and especially Ciaran’s enigmatic half-brother Ronan, Michael finds friendship deeper than he’s ever known.

But Michael’s only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire—part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy’s confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here—and a danger more powerful than he can imagine…

one drop

clean and
red

am I alive?
or am I dead?

These were the first words in the book that quite pique my curiosity, simple yet, striking. But soon I found these words scattered all over the novel and just really says that it's quite significant and hints what the story is all about.

First I would like to talk about the cover, it's wonderful! At first glance, it may look like it's a love triangle, a blonde and a brunette, fighting over a redhead! (chuckling), but then Lesson no. 1 NOTHING IS EVER WHAT IT SEEMS, and so it seems that behind the gorgeous cover, more complicated situations lies and that's enough to make you grab this book and settle for a late night read.

This book is about vampires ( one of the fiction genres I enjoyed the most), and this story, though I find shocking onc3 I realized the truth behind the covers, overwhelms me. I was plunged down deep in a kind of love story others might not and will never comprehend. I was even hoping that as the story unfolds, that somehow, they'll change and be normal boys again. But Mr. Griffo held on to what he'd already written from the start, and I unexpectedly find myself loving every words he wrote.

Not that the lover's situation isn't absurd, it still is, but I find myself sympathizing with them and linking my thoughts and apprehensions too. It felt like, I was there with them, experiencing the same ecstasy, fear and actions that was all throughout the novel.

I daresay that the characters develop slowly but with such impact that you can't let the book down and always ask yourself who is and who's not. The author had adequately sprinkled the right amount of mystery to each of his characters that made you want to find out and know them more. There were some questions that hadn't still been unanswered, but maybe that's the use of the second book, right?!

This book was definitely phenomenal and would hit to young adult readers out there, and would make you out of your comfort zone,but in a good way. This one was filled with a different kind of romance, mystery, love and just plain reality--that anyone could relate into.

I hope this isn't just nonsense and that I didn't blab too much, because I don't want to spoil a good read. Overall, this is an exciting, engaging and unique book! ( )
  avry15 | Oct 13, 2011 |
A lonesome boy with unnatural sexual tendencies is isolated in mid Nebraska, berated by his grandfather and peers at school. A fourteen old who doesn't fit in and isn't aggressive enough to defend himself and didn't have anyone else in this farm town to defend him either. He was born in London and lived there for three years until his mother divorced his English father and moved back in with her parents in Nebraska. Michael spent his entire life feeling out of place and not being able to fit in until his mother committed suicide resulting in his English father traveling to Nebraska and returning to London with Michael and placing him in the Archangel Academy, a private school for boys. This was the start of Michael's acceptance into a society where he found both love and a recognition for his own merits. It is just coincidental that his room mate's brother is a hybrid Vampire that shares attributes with his Vampire and mermen fore bearers which includes tolerance to sunshine and a need to feed only once monthly. Ronan, Michaels room mates brother falls in love with Michael and after many trials is able to convince Michael that turning him means they will be able to spend eternity together. There is a group of normal powerful vampires in the area that resent the hybrid vampires so it is a battle between them to involve others in their own special element. For Ronan and Michael, it is enough to be free of the small minds of small town America and able to study together at their private school. Emotionally, it was an interesting tour of the angst experienced by a young boy growing up in isolation among people who not only don't understand but, resent his sexual orientation. It was a surprise for him to find acceptance and another life among loving vampires in merry old England. The story transition caught me and was a surprise that I felt an improvement to Michael's life among the mid-American bigots. ( )
  JosephLYoung | Oct 12, 2011 |
This barely kept my attention and the switching of characters thoughts really was weird. Usually, having each characters views makes my like the characters more, but this just left me thinking how stupid most were. I feel that there was just to much waiting and the action was slow. Not one of the worse books i have read, but def not one of the best. ( )
  AvlyTopaz20 | Sep 19, 2011 |

In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it's a place filled with secrets. Just like its students . . .

But Michael's only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire—part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy's confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here—and a danger more powerful than he can imagine . . .
[Penguin Books]

Michael Howard and Ronan Glynn-Rowley meet at Archangel Academy, an all-boys school in Eden, a rural town in north western England. Both are outcasts and decried as unnatural, Michael because he's gay, and Ronan because he's a hybrid vampire. But when Ronan, afraid to reveal his true self to Michael, turns him into a vampire against his will, both become drawn into a dangerous new world, where traditional vampires plot to destroy hybrids, and where fellow students, teachers, even their own families have unexpected secrets...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:31 -0400)

In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it's a place filled with secrets. Just like its students... For Michael Howard, being plucked from his Nebraska hometown and sent thousands of miles away is as close as he's ever come to a miracle. In Weeping Water, he felt trapped, alone. At Archangel Academy, Michael belongs. And in Ciaran, Penry, and especially Ciaran's enigmatic half-brother Ronan, Michael finds friendship deeper than he's ever known. But Michael's only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire-- part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy's confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here-- and a danger more powerful than he can imagine...--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,288,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible