Angels of Darkness by Nalini Singh
2141954,496 (3.74)4

Only read Ilona Andrews' Alphas.

Hmm. I'm torn. The first half of the story gets a tepid 3 from me, while the second half gets a solid 4. This short story had the potential of being an awesome full-length novel, so I'm kinda sad that the premise was "wasted".

The world the Andrews' created is cool and had there been more time to see it develop, rather than have major info-dumps to explain its complexity, this could easily have been the first book of a series/trilogy. Too bad, so sad, cuz I would have signed up for that asap.

The characters were interesting, but again, being that it's a short story, there wasn't time to explore them in-depth and really bring them to life. Where the authors never disappoint, is in writing likable MC's. Never a dull or weak heroine in sight when reading anything from the Andrews'. All the characters had interesting facets and/or abilities. I was fascinated by the possibilities and simultaneously disappointed that I wouldn't get to read more. Why you no make this a novel, Ilona?

The first half was a little tough, because I felt like I was dropped into the middle of a story where many interesting things had happened and I was required to quickly catch up so I could understand all the interesting things that were now happening. Many of these things made me think, "That's really interesting and unique, but why?" Everything felt rushed and fell short and that's a shame. The second half was easier, because the action picked up and because I had more info to go on.

Despite its shortcomings, this short still managed to entertain, but after thinking it through, I'm not torn on how to rate it. It was chock-full of thwarted potential. Though I wish the authors would expand on it, I'm inclined to think that it's not gonna happen, because this short had so much in it that it'd be a spoiler for any follow-up - but then again, what do I know? I do feel slightly robbed. Had I gotten more, this could have been a new favorite of mine. Worthwhile read despite my gripes, because the Andrews' are just that good and because my biggest gripe is that I wanted more. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
Four angel themed stories with some set in well established universes. Only one of the stories angel theme was faint with the rest having the angels front and center to the plot. I liked 3 out of 4 of the stories and only one wasn't my cup of tea. The Shinn story universe was interesting enough that I have requested the first one from the library to give it a whirl. I did like the Singh story since it is set in her Archangel series but doesn't deal with any of the regular characters so it is a nice taste of the series without having to commit to several books. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Alpha:origins by Ilona Andrews ( )
  nutelena | Sep 25, 2013 |
Only read the Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh stories... both very good.

The Ilona Andrews story (Alphas: Origins) seem to be the beginning of a new series.

The Nalini Singh story (Angel's Wolf) is set in the Guild Hunters world. ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
Loved the Ilona Andrews piece. So fresh! ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |

Singh, NaliniContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, IlonaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brook, MeljeanContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Shinn, SharonContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marlo, ColeenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Collects four romance novellas involving angels, including tales in which a woman finds a blind, tormented angel in a secluded mansion, and a vampire becomes obsessed with an angel who rules the Louisiana territory.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible