Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon by Paul Finch
692173,491 (3)None

This is the last of the Eleven/Rory/Amy novels, and probably one you can skip; there are lots of quite good elements - some very well realised aliens and cyborgs, and a slap at the easy target of reality television; I think Finch also captures Smith's Doctor rather well. But the basic scenario, of people being kidnapped to become prey in a grand hunt, is pretty cliched by now, having been done slightly better in The Five Doctors and much better in a Tenth Doctor novel, The Doctor Trap; of course all of these are rooted in The Most Dangerous Game. I did not think that the horror of the situation was adequately reflected in the prose; I also thought the main non-Tardis crew sub-plot, the redemption of a failed London copper's relationship with his family through his heroism, was handled too superficially. In general this felt like an book with adult themes being written for younger readers, and there was a failure to connect style with substance.

There were other minor implausibilities which pushed my own buttons, such as an Albanian character (who disappears as soon as he is mentioned) called Miklos; just possible if he was named after a Hungarian friend or relative, but Mëhill is the usual Albanian translation of Michael, and even that is not very common.

It is a rare lapse in quality of the New Series Adventures. ( )
  nwhyte | Jul 7, 2013 |
Although the 10th doctor remains my favorite I'm fond enough of Matt Smith's doctor to enjoy reading novels based upon his adventures. Mainly we have POVs from the Doctor and Rory with a little Amy thrown in. I liked the way the main secondary characters were done, particularly the suffering police chief (the station law force guy...whatevr you want to call him) who has had past dealings with the doctor. I this story we have the doctor playacting at being a heartless/ruthless hunter of humans and other planetary creatures while Rory is one of the human prey and Amy looks on as a cleaning/show girl.

It was a decent story, not too complex, but was entertaining. An all right read for anyone who wants more doctore, more of the time. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Apr 17, 2013 |

"Leisure Platform 9 - a place where gamblers and villains rub shoulders with socialites and celebrities. Not a place to cheat at the games table, or to beat the wrong player - as Rory is about to find out. The prize for winning the wrong game is to take part in another. And this game could be the death of him! With Rory kidnapped by the brutal crime lord Xorg Krauzzen, the Doctor and Amy go undercover. But can they infiltrate the deadly contest about to be played out in the ruins of Gorgoror? It's only a matter of time before Krauzzen realizes the Doctor isn't a vicious mercenary. It won't be long before he discovers what Amy is up to" -- Cover verso.… (more)

28 wanted1 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,337,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible