Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan…
Member:cerce7
Title:Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel
Authors:Jonathan Morris
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:11th Doctor, TV, eBook

Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

Going back in time to save the one you love? Wait, wasn't that the plot to "Father's Day", season one of the reboot? True, Rose and 9 didn't have to deal with Weeping Angels, and we'd all miss Amy and Rory. Still...the similarities between that episode and this book leave me to mark this book down a star.

The author did a bang-up job of keeping 11, Amy, and Rory in character. He also managed to make the original characters interesting, the character development poignant and believable, and hooked the reader. Though this book was intended for a younger audience, one did not feel as though the author spoke down. (Though because of the way the book was written, I read through it very quickly).

This book makes me miss Amy and Rory...and onward ho to the next book on my to read list! ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
I always love reading these Doctor Who books, and this one was no exception. The Weeping Angels are some of my favorite monsters. This story was very interesting and fast-paced. I enjoyed getting to know Mark, the poor guy the angels are after. My heart went out to him, and the book didn't end as I was expecting. I do wish it had been narrated by Matt Smith (I love the ones narrated by David Tennant), but the narrator still does an excellent job. You could definitely tell which character was supposed to be speaking. ( )
  Annesanse | Apr 11, 2014 |

Yet another story of car crashes and mixed-up timelines (I have lost count of how often this has come up in New Who but it's at least twice on the main show plus Sarah Jane Smith's parents), but with the excellent addition of the Weeping Angels, who both create the possibility of temporal paradox and hope to feed off it. Morris does a beautiful job of conveying the history of the relationship between the car crash victim and her husband which is central to the narrative, and the Angels also come across superbly - if Blink is one of your favourite DW episodes, as it is mine, this book comes close to being a novelisation of it in a slightly different frame. It's more of a Weeping Angels novel than a Doctor Who novel - the original Blink of course was a Doctor-lite episode, and while I've seen a couple of reviews grumble that there's not enough Doctor in this book I actually felt there could have been a little less. It's a shame that the excellent quality of the writing was not entirely matched by originality of plot, but almost for that reason I think I could recommend this rather strongly as a Who book for non-fans. I listened to the audio version performed by Clare Corbett, of whom I increasingly feel that I would gladly pay a fee to hear her read the phone directory. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 19, 2012 |
To my wife, Debbie
Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack!

"In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years ago, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.' As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to the Doctor, Amy and Rory to save the whole world. Because this time the Weeping Angels are using history itself as a weapon."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

33 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible