Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan…
Member:cerce7
Title:Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel
Authors:Jonathan Morris
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:11th Doctor, TV, eBook

Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Doctor Who is one of those franchises where I like the fanbase and everything around it better than the original (like Harry Potter). Daleks and Weeping Angels make such wonderful and memorable monsters. I have a Dalek at home, guarding my bedroom (It was especially made for me by my sister for a secret santa some years ago), and there is this Dalek-Doctor musical song. If you're stressed, why not relax à la Dalek. But this book is about Weeping Angels, and they creep me out! Last Christmas-special I scratched my face when one of them suddenly appeared, and it was visible for months!

Touched by an angel was a very nice reading experience. It read just like watching the series. As it was the first Doctor Who book I've read I'm not able to compare between them, but I definitely liked this one. Not just because I liked to see Amy and Rory again, but also because the story was interesting on its own. I would recommend this book to fans of the series :). ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Blink, there the shadow is closer. Blink a hand closes over your shoulder. Blink, sharp teeth and blank eyes are inches away. Blink, you're in another time. Don't Blink.
A Dr. Who Weeping Angel novel ! Yes, a novel. I thought his was a comic/ graphic novel when I got it, but was thrilled to find a full length read at my finger tips. Happy Happy Happy me !
The Doctor, Amy and Rory find themselves dealing with a grief stricken man who wants to change his past desperately. His travels send the angels after him. they want him to disrupt history. They feed off time paradoxes, and he has the ability to give them a smorgasbord. His future and his past are so intwined the heroes have a difficult time finding the exact change he makes that has the Angels hunting him. They get very close, everyone is running and the Man is hiding something that may change the future in a devastating way. He will not cooperate and time is running out.
I loved it, couldn't wait to read another chapter and got the tingles with this book. The author did a fabulous job. I felt the terror, the urgency, it was invigorating. I plan on reading every book I can in this series. Dr. Who fans should not miss this.
4.4 stars
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
With just some timey wimey loose ends, it is a funny and emotional book with a genuine whovian touch. ( )
  Agnesium | Nov 14, 2015 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel is an entry in the new monster collection of books from BBC books. It was written by Jonathan Morris who is experienced at writing Doctor Who Spin-off material. I have been a fan of Doctor Who for a while now and as such, was worried about reviewing any sort of spin-off material. The Doctors all possess a very unique style and voice that would be difficult to copy. It would be so easy to make any attempt laughably horrible. One quip in the wrong place, or one too many, “allons-y!s” and the whole thing would be ruined. The miracle of Touched by an Angel is that it actually worked!

Jonathan Morris spins a tale about the 11th doctor, complete with Rory and Amy. During their travels they meet a man named mark, grieving from the death of his wife in a car accident. He receives a letter from 8 years prior saying, “You can save her!” He is given this chance by the touch of a weeping angel sending him back in time to his college days to re-engineer his life, and save his future wife. The Doctor, Rory and Amy have to save the world from the resulting paradox, save mark from him-self and save themselves from the Angels. The story follows Mark as he observes his younger self through all the stages of his life, intervening when he can to change his future. The Doctor and his companions intervene whenever there is a risk of paradox and help Mark to cleverly avoid paradoxes while still being able to change his history.

I was impressed at how well Morris was able to take such a convoluted sounding plot and make it simple and entertaining. The angels were creepy as ever and received plenty of page time. The action wouldn’t lull for long before picking back up. In my opinion, the most impressive aspect of the book was how well Jonathan Morris captured the voice and energy of all the characters, including the Doctor. His quips and quirks were right on and quite funny. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was reading the plot for a full-length feature-film, replete with Matt Smith and his charm.

I would recommend this book to any fan of the Doctor Who series. Fans who are waiting intently for the new season and need their “Who” fix would be especially remiss to pass it up. Even if you aren’t acquainted with the lore, this would still be a very enjoyable read for any fan of quirky science fiction. I intend to read the rest of the books in the monster collection to keep me from getting too forlorn at having to wait until the new season airs. ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
Mark is still very much in mourning after the loss of his wife Rebecca. He buries himself in work, has few friends, doesn't date and doesn't really socialize. What he doesn't know is that this is all about to change. Mark receives a letter in his own hand writing with a list of instructions about what to do when he finds himself sent 17 years into his own past. Like anyone else, Mark is tempted to go back to make changes. Who after all doesn't have some regrets? Unfortunately, time cannot be changed without consequences and this is where The Doctor (#11), Rory and Amy come in.

Touched by an Angel very much reminds me of Blink (season 3 episode 10) during David Tennant's tenure as the Doctor. Luckily, Mark's story is compelling enough to stand on its own and the Doctor's small role didn't decrease my enjoyment of the story. Touched by an Angel is about more than killer statues and wibbily wobbly timey wimey bits, it's about love and loss. I think anyone who has ever lost someone they cared deeply about will closely connect with this story. It was interesting to watch the relationship develop between Mark and Rebecca, even as the story inevitably led to Rebecca's death and the terrible choice Mark had to make. I couldn't help but myself in Mark's shoes and think about what I would do if I had the chance to save someone I love.

Morris takes care to include a ton of 90's references to give us a sense that Mark has indeed traveled back to the 90's. We follow the journey and watch Mark mature from a young man full of hope, to a middle age man dealing with loss and desperation. Similarly, Mark's relationship with Rebecca evolves from one of friendship to an established romantic relationship with all of the pitfalls that this includes. Like any other couple, they make plans but life gets in the way. It's a strong reminder to make the people we care about a priority because we never know when our last day will be.

The angels have long been one of my favourite aliens in the Whoverse. Morris has a tough act to follow given that in New Who, the weeping angels were brilliantly written by Moffat. The angels in this case are looking to feed off of a paradox, something we saw in The Angels Take Manhattan (series seven, episode five) Every time the Doctor, Amy, Rory and Mark found themselves challenged or surrounded by the angels, I found myself struggling not to blink, completely caught up in the story. The angels translated very well in Touched By and Angel and are just as horrific as I have seen them on television.

Unfortunately, Amy Pond was not very well written. To be upfront, I have never been a fan of Amy and Rory because they remind me so much of wet lettuce. Amy didn't seem to really do much and I didn't really get a sense of a bond between her and the Doctor. Predictably, Rory ended up running around and doing the Doctor's bidding, with a touch of sarcasm thrown in for the sake of comedy. I'm not convinced that Rory and Amy worked in Touched by an Angel; however, I wasn't convinced about them on the show either.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 30, 2015 |
To my wife, Debbie
Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack!

"In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years ago, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.' As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to the Doctor, Amy and Rory to save the whole world. Because this time the Weeping Angels are using history itself as a weapon."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

44 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,260,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible