Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan…
Member:cerce7
Title:Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel
Authors:Jonathan Morris
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:11th Doctor, TV, eBook

Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

Enjoyable but a bit less lighthearted than I prefer. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Doctor Who is one of those franchises where I like the fanbase and everything around it better than the original (like Harry Potter). Daleks and Weeping Angels make such wonderful and memorable monsters. I have a Dalek at home, guarding my bedroom (It was especially made for me by my sister for a secret santa some years ago), and there is this Dalek-Doctor musical song. If you're stressed, why not relax à la Dalek. But this book is about Weeping Angels, and they creep me out! Last Christmas-special I scratched my face when one of them suddenly appeared, and it was visible for months!

Touched by an angel was a very nice reading experience. It read just like watching the series. As it was the first Doctor Who book I've read I'm not able to compare between them, but I definitely liked this one. Not just because I liked to see Amy and Rory again, but also because the story was interesting on its own. I would recommend this book to fans of the series :). ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This week's throwback review is for Doctor Who: Touched By an Angel by Jonathan Morris. It was released March 6, 2014 by BBC Books as the Monster Collection Edition. It features the Eleventh Doctor as played by Matt Smith as well as his companions Amy Pond and Rory.

Mark Whitaker receives an envelope 8 years after his wife Rebecca died in a car accident. It's addressed in his own writing, yet he has no recall of having written it. Inside is a note including the simple message, "You can save her."

The angels transport Mark back in time to before his wife died. He is anxious to make changes to the timeline, but doing so would mess up his future self and probably cause some paradox. The paradox would feed the Angels. While Mark wants to save Rebecca, The Doctor and his companions are trying to save him and the world from the Weeping Angels.

The plot centers around Mark Whitaker with little involvement from the Doctor and his companions. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory mostly do brief stints of time travel appearing at key points in Mark's timeline as outlined in the letter, to thwart the angels.

The Doctor, Amy, and Rory act true to their characters. I especially enjoyed the Doctor. He is a little more fleshed out than Amy and Rory. The plot is fast paced leaping from one point on the timeline to the next with little downtime for the characters in the telling. The book still manages to tell how Mark manages to survive in his past.

Overall it's a good book. The characters are true to form. It would enhance your experience if you are familiar with this cast of the Eleventh Doctor. I still give the book 4 stars for the portrayal of all including the Angels and for the action.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  ElleJennison | Mar 9, 2016 |
Blink, there the shadow is closer. Blink a hand closes over your shoulder. Blink, sharp teeth and blank eyes are inches away. Blink, you're in another time. Don't Blink.
A Dr. Who Weeping Angel novel ! Yes, a novel. I thought his was a comic/ graphic novel when I got it, but was thrilled to find a full length read at my finger tips. Happy Happy Happy me !
The Doctor, Amy and Rory find themselves dealing with a grief stricken man who wants to change his past desperately. His travels send the angels after him. they want him to disrupt history. They feed off time paradoxes, and he has the ability to give them a smorgasbord. His future and his past are so intwined the heroes have a difficult time finding the exact change he makes that has the Angels hunting him. They get very close, everyone is running and the Man is hiding something that may change the future in a devastating way. He will not cooperate and time is running out.
I loved it, couldn't wait to read another chapter and got the tingles with this book. The author did a fabulous job. I felt the terror, the urgency, it was invigorating. I plan on reading every book I can in this series. Dr. Who fans should not miss this.
4.4 stars
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
With just some timey wimey loose ends, it is a funny and emotional book with a genuine whovian touch. ( )
  Agnesium | Nov 14, 2015 |
To my wife, Debbie
Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack!

"In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years ago, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.' As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to the Doctor, Amy and Rory to save the whole world. Because this time the Weeping Angels are using history itself as a weapon."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

44 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,824,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible