Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel by Jonathan…
Title:Doctor Who: Touched by an Angel
Authors:Jonathan Morris
Info:Random House UK (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:11th Doctor, TV, eBook

Touched by an Angel by Jonathan Morris

Mark is still very much in mourning after the loss of his wife Rebecca. He buries himself in work, has few friends, doesn't date and doesn't really socialize. What he doesn't know is that this is all about to change. Mark receives a letter in his own hand writing with a list of instructions about what to do when he finds himself sent 17 years into his own past. Like anyone else, Mark is tempted to go back to make changes. Who after all doesn't have some regrets? Unfortunately, time cannot be changed without consequences and this is where The Doctor (#11), Rory and Amy come in.

Touched by an Angel very much reminds me of Blink (season 3 episode 10) during David Tennant's tenure as the Doctor. Luckily, Mark's story is compelling enough to stand on its own and the Doctor's small role didn't decrease my enjoyment of the story. Touched by an Angel is about more than killer statues and wibbily wobbly timey wimey bits, it's about love and loss. I think anyone who has ever lost someone they cared deeply about will closely connect with this story. It was interesting to watch the relationship develop between Mark and Rebecca, even as the story inevitably led to Rebecca's death and the terrible choice Mark had to make. I couldn't help but myself in Mark's shoes and think about what I would do if I had the chance to save someone I love.

Morris takes care to include a ton of 90's references to give us a sense that Mark has indeed traveled back to the 90's. We follow the journey and watch Mark mature from a young man full of hope, to a middle age man dealing with loss and desperation. Similarly, Mark's relationship with Rebecca evolves from one of friendship to an established romantic relationship with all of the pitfalls that this includes. Like any other couple, they make plans but life gets in the way. It's a strong reminder to make the people we care about a priority because we never know when our last day will be.

The angels have long been one of my favourite aliens in the Whoverse. Morris has a tough act to follow given that in New Who, the weeping angels were brilliantly written by Moffat. The angels in this case are looking to feed off of a paradox, something we saw in The Angels Take Manhattan (series seven, episode five) Every time the Doctor, Amy, Rory and Mark found themselves challenged or surrounded by the angels, I found myself struggling not to blink, completely caught up in the story. The angels translated very well in Touched By and Angel and are just as horrific as I have seen them on television.

Unfortunately, Amy Pond was not very well written. To be upfront, I have never been a fan of Amy and Rory because they remind me so much of wet lettuce. Amy didn't seem to really do much and I didn't really get a sense of a bond between her and the Doctor. Predictably, Rory ended up running around and doing the Doctor's bidding, with a touch of sarcasm thrown in for the sake of comedy. I'm not convinced that Rory and Amy worked in Touched by an Angel; however, I wasn't convinced about them on the show either.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 30, 2015 |

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Doctor Who is one of those franchises where I like the fanbase and everything around it better than the original (like Harry Potter). Daleks and Weeping Angels make such wonderful and memorable monsters. I have a Dalek at home, guarding my bedroom (It was especially made for me by my sister for a secret santa some years ago), and there is this Dalek-Doctor musical song. If you're stressed, why not relax à la Dalek. But this book is about Weeping Angels, and they creep me out! Last Christmas-special I scratched my face when one of them suddenly appeared, and it was visible for months!

Touched by an angel was a very nice reading experience. It read just like watching the series. As it was the first Doctor Who book I've read I'm not able to compare between them, but I definitely liked this one. Not just because I liked to see Amy and Rory again, but also because the story was interesting on its own. I would recommend this book to fans of the series :). ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Going back in time to save the one you love? Wait, wasn't that the plot to "Father's Day", season one of the reboot? True, Rose and 9 didn't have to deal with Weeping Angels, and we'd all miss Amy and Rory. Still...the similarities between that episode and this book leave me to mark this book down a star.

The author did a bang-up job of keeping 11, Amy, and Rory in character. He also managed to make the original characters interesting, the character development poignant and believable, and hooked the reader. Though this book was intended for a younger audience, one did not feel as though the author spoke down. (Though because of the way the book was written, I read through it very quickly).

This book makes me miss Amy and Rory...and onward ho to the next book on my to read list! ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
I always love reading these Doctor Who books, and this one was no exception. The Weeping Angels are some of my favorite monsters. This story was very interesting and fast-paced. I enjoyed getting to know Mark, the poor guy the angels are after. My heart went out to him, and the book didn't end as I was expecting. I do wish it had been narrated by Matt Smith (I love the ones narrated by David Tennant), but the narrator still does an excellent job. You could definitely tell which character was supposed to be speaking. ( )
  Annesanse | Apr 11, 2014 |

Yet another story of car crashes and mixed-up timelines (I have lost count of how often this has come up in New Who but it's at least twice on the main show plus Sarah Jane Smith's parents), but with the excellent addition of the Weeping Angels, who both create the possibility of temporal paradox and hope to feed off it. Morris does a beautiful job of conveying the history of the relationship between the car crash victim and her husband which is central to the narrative, and the Angels also come across superbly - if Blink is one of your favourite DW episodes, as it is mine, this book comes close to being a novelisation of it in a slightly different frame. It's more of a Weeping Angels novel than a Doctor Who novel - the original Blink of course was a Doctor-lite episode, and while I've seen a couple of reviews grumble that there's not enough Doctor in this book I actually felt there could have been a little less. It's a shame that the excellent quality of the writing was not entirely matched by originality of plot, but almost for that reason I think I could recommend this rather strongly as a Who book for non-fans. I listened to the audio version performed by Clare Corbett, of whom I increasingly feel that I would gladly pay a fee to hear her read the phone directory. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 19, 2012 |
To my wife, Debbie
Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack! Slosh-thwack!

"In 2003, Rebecca Whitaker died in a road accident. Her husband Mark is still grieving. He receives a battered envelope, posted eight years ago, containing a set of instructions with a simple message: 'You can save her.' As Mark is given the chance to save Rebecca, it's up to the Doctor, Amy and Rory to save the whole world. Because this time the Weeping Angels are using history itself as a weapon."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

42 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,782,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible