Alone by Lisa Gardner

Alone

by Lisa Gardner

Series: D.D. Warren (1)

Recently added byarena35, JOH-CHRIS, potvin, private library, taramitch, VivienneR, NPJacobsen
    In the Blood by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Manipulation is the name of the game in these two gripping psychological suspense stories, in which intricate plots twist and turn. Each also stars a woman whose background includes traumatic events and who is unwilling to share her secrets.… (more)
    Kiss the Girls by James Patterson (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Both have creepy abductions...

English (58)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (60)
A decent mystery/police procedural/thriller about a police sniper and the woman he make a widow during a hostage situation. Some parts of the book drag, the dialogue could be stronger, and the twists are not that unexpected... but still, lots of action, especially in the second half. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Apr 2, 2015 |
I sat down to read this book, needing a change of pace, something to read just for fun, and that is exactly what I got. I got a novel that I was not able to put down, that was thoroughly enjoyable, and that I loved every minute of reading. I found the characters believable, the storyline enjoyable, and really just could not walk away from this one.

I was lent this ebook via a NookFriend, and am so glad that I found it. I had not heard of the author before picking this one up, and somehow cannot imagine how I did not know about this particular series.

I found myself sucked into the book, feeling as though I was a part of the story. I could feel the cold touch when Sebastian reached out to Serenity when she was running wild through the streets. I could feel the terror in her heart when she saw what she had done to her husband, and the exhilaration of finally being free of his controlling hand.

The book touches on the epidemic that is spousal abuse and domestic violence in a tasteful way, and in the subtext of this novel, brings it to the forefront and makes you aware that it is more common than one might have originally thought.

Overall, I think this is a must read for any paranormal romance fan. There were a few scenes that I would have to say are not appropriate for younger readers, but they were minimal and I did not feel that they detracted from the story in any way. I give this a 4.5 star rating! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Story was good but the title would imply there is a strong presence of Detective D.D.Warren but that character only represented a 'bit' part in the book. ( )
  Carole-Ann | Aug 9, 2014 |
too grisly and violent for me but I kept reading it because I wanted to know how it ended. I don't watch SVU for the same reason I almost didn't finish this book. one interesting thing I found out was that the author holds a contest where she names characters in the book, after fans and then kills them off, it's a great honor. clever idea. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |

Gardner, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufner, KarinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lourenço, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pock-Steen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He'd put in a fifteen-hour shift the night the call came in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584537, Mass Market Paperback)

Alone . . . Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge watches a tense hostage standoff unfold through the scope of his sniper rifle. Just across the street, in wealthy Back Bay, Boston, an armed man has barricaded himself with his wife and child. The man’s finger tightens on the trigger and Dodge has only a split second to react . . . and forever pay the consequences.

Alone . . . that’s where the nightmare began for cool, beautiful, and dangerously sexy Catherine Rose Gagnon. Twenty-five years ago, she was buried underground during a month-long nightmare of abduction and abuse. Now her husband has just been killed. Her father-in-law, the powerful Judge Gagnon, blames Catherine for his son’s death . . . and for the series of unexplained illnesses that have sent her own young son repeatedly to the hospital.

Alone . . . a madman survived solitary confinement in a maximum security prison where he’d done hard time for the most sadistic of crimes. Now he walks the streets a free man, invisible, anonymous . . . and filled with an unquenchable rage for vengeance. What brings them together is a moment of violence—but what connects them is a passion far deeper and much more dangerous. For a killer is loose who’s woven such an intricate web of evil that no one is above suspicion, no one is beyond harm, and no one will see death coming until it has them cornered, helpless, and alone.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Bobby Dodge, sniper for the Massachusetts State Police, encounters a situation where he makes a split-second decision to kill the man holding a woman and her son hostage; however, things begin to unravel when the woman turns out not to be what she appeared and Dodge becomes the prime suspect in a murder investigation.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,890,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible