Alone by Lisa Gardner

Alone

by Lisa Gardner

Series: D.D. Warren (1)

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Both have creepy abductions...

English (54)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
too grisly and violent for me but I kept reading it because I wanted to know how it ended. I don't watch SVU for the same reason I almost didn't finish this book. one interesting thing I found out was that the author holds a contest where she names characters in the book, after fans and then kills them off, it's a great honor. clever idea. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Immediately after finishing Alone I started on Hide (it was that much fun) and though I knew these were books 1 & 2 of a series, I didn’t know they they were connected so tightly. I won’t go so far as to say they’re one long story arc, but there is enough continuation of the first story that I’d recommend reading Alone first. That and there are spoilers for Alone in Hide. It is interesting that these are billed as D.D. Warren books, when I think that the first one wasn’t really intended as a start of a series, and the second, if it is, features Bobby Dodge, not D.D. It seems like the D.D. books took off later and these were tacked on just because she’s in them and that if no other stories focus on Bobby, you can’t really name a series after him with only 2 books. Awkward explanation, I agree, but that’s my perception.

In my previous experience with a D.D. Warren book, I didn’t much care for her, but I did like the way the victim was portrayed. She was complex and her situation was tangled in the extreme. We have that type of story again with both of these books. Catherine I found to be a really interesting ‘victim’. She’s got enough ambiguity and doubt clinging to her that it’s difficult to use that term, but it does apply and it’s not hard to see how her traumatic experience would warp her personality into what she became. I didn’t like her, but I did sympathize. Gardner builds a lot of doubt about the circumstances for the bulk of the readers’ sympathy to shift to Bobby. Used to being behind the gun, he gets himself into a lot of other people’s crosshairs and it’s mostly him you worry about.

We meet Cat again in Hide, but she’s not the focus for that book. Instead we get another woman trying to hold herself together after a disturbing childhood. Annabelle is way more sympathetic than Cat even though what she suffered wasn’t nearly as horrible. Instead we’ve got a woman so scared of being known to people that she continues to live under the alias her father selected for their last desperate flight to escape an enemy he’s never explained to her. She’s strong and capable, but those skills are built on fear, paranoia and complete uncertainty of what or who her enemy actually is.

In both books we have a good variety of suspects who come to light one at a time. There are a lot of unknowns and it’s police work and investigation that gets results, not rabbit-out-of-a-hat forensics. It feels more desperate as a result. The changes from viewpoint to viewpoint are done well. Not too long or too short and the voices for Bobby and the two victims are distinct. There were a few clangy phrases (like ‘death investigators’) that I didn’t like, but not many. One of the characters in Hide got a little preachy about the implosion of the mental health system in the US, but because I agree with the rant, it didn’t bother me. Some details about ordinance and cars were wrong, too (a BMW 450i? I don’t think so.) and so better research is needed. Still, the overall stories are powerful enough to keep me reading Gardner’s books. Seems like she has a lot of them, so a lot to look forward to. ( )
  Bookmarque | Dec 17, 2013 |

Gardner, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufner, KarinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lourenço, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pock-Steen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He'd put in a fifteen-hour shift the night the call came in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584537, Mass Market Paperback)

Alone . . . Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge watches a tense hostage standoff unfold through the scope of his sniper rifle. Just across the street, in wealthy Back Bay, Boston, an armed man has barricaded himself with his wife and child. The man’s finger tightens on the trigger and Dodge has only a split second to react . . . and forever pay the consequences.

Alone . . . that’s where the nightmare began for cool, beautiful, and dangerously sexy Catherine Rose Gagnon. Twenty-five years ago, she was buried underground during a month-long nightmare of abduction and abuse. Now her husband has just been killed. Her father-in-law, the powerful Judge Gagnon, blames Catherine for his son’s death . . . and for the series of unexplained illnesses that have sent her own young son repeatedly to the hospital.

Alone . . . a madman survived solitary confinement in a maximum security prison where he’d done hard time for the most sadistic of crimes. Now he walks the streets a free man, invisible, anonymous . . . and filled with an unquenchable rage for vengeance. What brings them together is a moment of violence—but what connects them is a passion far deeper and much more dangerous. For a killer is loose who’s woven such an intricate web of evil that no one is above suspicion, no one is beyond harm, and no one will see death coming until it has them cornered, helpless, and alone.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:19 -0400)

Bobby Dodge, sniper for the Massachusetts State Police, encounters a situation where he makes a split-second decision to kill the man holding a woman and her son hostage; however, things begin to unravel when the woman turns out not to be what she appeared and Dodge becomes the prime suspect in a murder investigation.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible