Alone by Lisa Gardner

Alone

by Lisa Gardner

Series: D.D. Warren (1)

Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Smart, complex female detectives star in these fast-paced tales of crime and eventual punishment. Both intricately plotted series are set in violent big cities and feature a strong sense of place, intricate plots, and jaw-clenching suspense.… (more)
    In the Blood by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Manipulation is the name of the game in these two gripping psychological suspense stories, in which intricate plots twist and turn. Each also stars a woman whose background includes traumatic events and who is unwilling to share her secrets.… (more)
    Kiss The Girls by James Patterson (Shuffy2)
    Shuffy2: Both have creepy abductions...

English (62)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
In one word: disappointing.
I could not identify with either of the main characters.
While the plot starts out well enough, there is no build up of suspense and the twists and turns become quite intricate. Even though the motive is ultimately quite original and astounding, the plot threads fail to come together and the story feels unresolved. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Alone . . . Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge watches a tense hostage standoff unfold through the scope of his sniper rifle. Just across the street, in wealthy Back Bay, Boston, an armed man has barricaded himself with his wife and child. The man’s finger tightens on the trigger and Dodge has only a split second to react . . . and forever pay the consequences.

Alone . . . that’s where the nightmare began for cool, beautiful, and dangerously sexy Catherine Rose Gagnon. Twenty-five years ago, she was buried underground during a month-long nightmare of abduction and abuse. Now her husband has just been killed. Her father-in-law, the powerful Judge Gagnon, blames Catherine for his son’s death . . . and for the series of unexplained illnesses that have sent her own young son repeatedly to the hospital.

Alone . . . a madman survived solitary confinement in a maximum security prison where he’d done hard time for the most sadistic of crimes. Now he walks the streets a free man, invisible, anonymous . . . and filled with an unquenchable rage for vengeance. What brings them together is a moment of violence—but what connects them is a passion far deeper and much more dangerous. For a killer is loose who’s woven such an intricate web of evil that no one is above suspicion, no one is beyond harm, and no one will see death coming until it has them cornered, helpless, and alone.

My Thoughts:

Excellent read. Good plot, action, great dialogue and, one of my favorites, familiar characters. D.D. Warren is a tough lady and, once I learned she's based on a real person, I got more involved. Don't miss this one. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Catherine Gagnon and her son are being held at gun point by her husband, Jimmy. The police have been called and the STOP (special tactics and operations) team are assembled to bring an end to the hostage situation. Bobby Dodge, a member of the STOP team, has Jimmy in his cross-hairs and as Jimmy's finger starts to pull the trigger of the gun he is pointing at his wife, Bobby does what he has been trained to do. Jimmy happens to be the son of a powerful judge who claims that Catherine set up the whole scenario just to get Jimmy killed. Bobby finds himself caught in the middle as Catherine and Judge Gagnon fight it out. Also caught in the middle, is Catherine's young son, who is in and out of the hospital with constant illnesses that Judge Gagnon and his wife claim are Munchhausen Syndrome. The reader begins to question whether Catherine used the police to kill her husband and is she now trying to kill her son?

I usually enjoy most of Lisa Gardner's books but this one wasn't my favorite. I found none of the characters likeable and read this one to meet the early DD Warren. She only makes a brief introductory appearance. It wasn't my favorite Gardner book but it was still a quick mystery with some good thriller elements.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Catherine Gagnon was kidnapped and held for 28 days as a child. Bobby Dodge is a state trooper and trained sniper. One night they are brought together when he is called out to a domestic disturbance. It quickly becomes the first time Bobby has to kill a suspect. Jimmy Gagnon was waving a gun and Bobby thought Jimmy was about to kill. What looks like an open and shut case of Bobby shooting when needed spirals out of control. Catherine is fighting for custody of her son and Bobby fighting for his job.

There is so much in this book. Betrayal, anger, love, family it's hard to do it justice. I bought thus so long ago I didn't know what to expect. I kept waiting for DD Warren to show up because her name was on the top of the page. I really didn't like Catherine and then found myself feeling sorry for her. And then Bobby at first I wondered how naive was he but he surprised me in the end. I want to read more by Lisa Gardner. This book moved fast and had good surprises. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
4 stars. The beginning crimes were difficult to handle. The book was pretty intense and I was surprised by all the twists. This was an audiobook for me and the story was 4 stars. The narration was 4 stars as well. She did do a good job with the voices.

The only think I don't understand is this is a Detective D.D Warren series... yet, DD Warren had such a small part to play in this book. And, the part she did, I didn't like her at all. I'm not sure if she'll play bigger parts later, but that's a bit of a mystery to me. Why name a series after a person that had such a minor roll in this book? ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Gardner, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dufner, KarinÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lourenço, AnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pock-Steen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He'd put in a fifteen-hour shift the night the call came in.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553584537, Mass Market Paperback)

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Bobby Dodge, sniper for the Massachusetts State Police, encounters a situation where he makes a split-second decision to kill the man holding a woman and her son hostage; however, things begin to unravel when the woman turns out not to be what she appeared and Dodge becomes the prime suspect in a murder investigation.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,338,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible