The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

The Emperor's Edge (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Lindsay Buroker

Member:Limelite
Title:The Emperor's Edge
Authors:Lindsay Buroker
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 322 pages
Collections:e-Books, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, contemporary fiction, adventure, steampunk

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker (2010)

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Vierran)
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Limelite)
    Limelite: Another feisty heroine, more feckless male companions, same kind of light ironic style.
    Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (kgodey)

If I had to describe this book (and ultimately, series) in one word, I'd say it's campy. I enjoyed the action-packed narrative, the line of characters that we are introduced to, and the fact that, even though there are quite a few of them, each character was unique.

It's not without its flaws, but I find that I'm very forgiving when a book stays within its limits; that is, it doesn't try to be something that it is not. From the beginning, the tone of the story was light, and the expectation was that things would turn out OK for the protagonists, even when they find themselves in the most unlikely situations. I expected this, so I wasn't annoyed by it - and that was good, because they always seem to find themselves in the most ridiculous situations! ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
A fun read with a strong female protagonist. A good start to a series in an interesting world. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Amaranthe is a low level enforcer in the imperial capital. Most women go into business; few pursue a martial career, and so Amaranthe is viewed with suspicion and derision by her colleagues. Then she impresses the emperor in a chance encounter, and soon the head of police gives her a special assignment: to kill the deadly assassin Sicarius. If she succeeds, she's guaranteed a promotion. But chances are, she'll die in the attempt...

This was a fabulous adventure, with double crosses, quick thinking, great action scenes, and a good deal of creative problem solving. I particularly loved the interactions between Amaranthe and her crew (a few of which I quoted in the status updates section of this review) and the way she strives to solve problems without using violence.

This book is offered free online, but beware--it's the beginning of a long series, and after reading the first book, you'll probably want to read the rest! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
What a fun romp—I love the hare-brained schemes and the irreverent humor. The characters are really engaging. Of course Sicarius, with his sense of distance and mystery, begs following just to catch another glimpse of what lies beneath that unreadable façade, but I also found Books and Akstyr intriguing. The first for his wit and his intelligence as well as loyalty to Amaranthe, and the latter for his quirkiness and the hint of hidden depths. Maldynado, I suspect, hangs around out of curiosity: the adventures he gets into with the Edge are a lark, and how can Amaranthe not be attracted to him? Amaranthe herself is a funny contradiction of terms, alternately determined, fearing to fail, failing, and delighted at turning tables. And Sespian, dear Sespian, might have escaped the first pot he was set to brew in, but he's still in the clutches of adolescent hormones and idealism. Even Hollowcrest fascinated me. I would love to know more of what he was thinking and what influenced his choices.

The "steampunk" setting is delivered with a light hand (which is good, because I would not like to be run over by thundering locomotives). I enjoyed the contrasts between the classes and genders. While I have seen comments that the gender discrimination is excessive, I feel that it fits not only the story itself, but our own historic (and even current) patterns. Standards of our own society now are not global and they are certainly distinct from most of history.

The plot was a wonderful roller-coaster ride of ups and downs, and—much to my delight—it's a good, clean read. I am very much looking forward to reading more of the adventure! ( )
  RobinLythgoe | Jul 6, 2015 |
Enjoyable though fairly lightweight Fantasy in a steampunk universe with a likeable protagonist, maybe just a bit too often saved by her improbably persuasive tongue or luck in coming through hair-raising odds. ( )
  Jarandel | Jun 28, 2015 |
Corporal Amaranthe Lokdon paced.

Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin, is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills... or someone wants her dead.

Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads. But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she feels a tad overwhelmed. Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills.. or someone wants her dead.… (more)

26 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,726,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible