The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

The Emperor's Edge (edition 2012)

by Lindsay Buroker

Member:Limelite
Title:The Emperor's Edge
Authors:Lindsay Buroker
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 322 pages
Collections:e-Books, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, contemporary fiction, adventure, steampunk

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Vierran)
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Limelite)
    Limelite: Another feisty heroine, more feckless male companions, same kind of light ironic style.
    Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (kgodey)

Decent series with a sensible female protagonist. Sometimes the plot is not believable because the main character pulls off ridiculous things with unlikely odds due to her silver tongue. I really don't think people (mostly the villains and people she needs to manipulate) are as malleable as the book suggests.

I also am not convinced of the likelihood of these characters joining up in a group,

But overall it's pretty interesting watching these characters move around.

It's okay, maybe even good. Worth a read. But definitely not worth a reread. Two and a half stars. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

But overall it's pretty interesting watching these characters move around.

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Amaranthe Lokdon is a female Enforcer on a police force suspicious of women, in a city where the military always trumps the police. When she stumbles onto a plot against the emperor, her dogged determination gets her a death sentence—and then her inventiveness keeps her alive, as she negotiates with a (hot) assassin, finds herself muscle and magic and research help, and does her best to save the emperor against the will of high officials. This is basically Leverage done as undercover sting in a fantasy setting with a female leader, with Amaranthe putting her team together and ending in the right place to have more adventures. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 25, 2014 |
This kept showing up in Amazon suggestions when I looked at Steampunk offerings. And frankly, I don't see it. It suffers from what i see as Guy Gavriel Kay use of Fantasy. Of making it all too easy.

Nowhere do I get Steampunk from Buroker's efforts but I do get a gritty urban fantasy effort placed upon a society advanced enough to a Victorian level of Technology. My thoughts as to how easy it is for the heroes is that they get into a text book like stage of crisis that you read in writer's how to journals, and then some how, quite easily in hindsight, they get out of it. Especially as the Achilles like hero of course can kill hundreds without ever getting anything above a scratch.

And that person backstops our leading heroine whose own intelligence and wisdom has jumped a few decades and makes her the smartest person in the room without an education to back up such natural intelligence.

Alright, this could have been better except I had to suspend my disbelief too much. As for Buroker making this a series at the last moments of the tale, it reads more like the beginning of a Superhero Comic Book tale. No more for me, and there are far better for me to read as I go forth so never again. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jun 2, 2014 |
A fun, fast paced story with sympathetic heroine. Enough of an open end to make me curious about other adventures of Amaranthe, and her ragtag alliance. So I will read them as soon as I can lay my hands on them. ( )
  Maaike15274 | May 2, 2014 |
Corporal Amaranthe Lokdon paced.

Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads. But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she feels a tad overwhelmed.

Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin, is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills... or someone wants her dead.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,480,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible