The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

The Emperor's Edge (edition 2012)

by Lindsay Buroker

Member:Limelite
Title:The Emperor's Edge
Authors:Lindsay Buroker
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 322 pages
Collections:e-Books, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, contemporary fiction, adventure, steampunk

The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker

Recently added bycatalogermom, private library, SAGibson, RobinLythgoe, ZoeSchoppa, MiduHadi, ggoldby
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Vierran)
    The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Limelite)
    Limelite: Another feisty heroine, more feckless male companions, same kind of light ironic style.
    Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge (kgodey)

What a fun romp—I love the hare-brained schemes and the irreverent humor. The characters are really engaging. Of course Sicarius, with his sense of distance and mystery, begs following just to catch another glimpse of what lies beneath that unreadable façade, but I also found Books and Akstyr intriguing. The first for his wit and his intelligence as well as loyalty to Amaranthe, and the latter for his quirkiness and the hint of hidden depths. Maldynado, I suspect, hangs around out of curiosity: the adventures he gets into with the Edge are a lark, and how can Amaranthe not be attracted to him? Amaranthe herself is a funny contradiction of terms, alternately determined, fearing to fail, failing, and delighted at turning tables. And Sespian, dear Sespian, might have escaped the first pot he was set to brew in, but he's still in the clutches of adolescent hormones and idealism. Even Hollowcrest fascinated me. I would love to know more of what he was thinking and what influenced his choices.

The "steampunk" setting is delivered with a light hand (which is good, because I would not like to be run over by thundering locomotives). I enjoyed the contrasts between the classes and genders. While I have seen comments that the gender discrimination is excessive, I feel that it fits not only the story itself, but our own historic (and even current) patterns. Standards of our own society now are not global and they are certainly distinct from most of history.

The plot was a wonderful roller-coaster ride of ups and downs, and—much to my delight—it's a good, clean read. I am very much looking forward to reading more of the adventure! ( )
  RobinLythgoe | Jul 6, 2015 |
An unexpectedly enjoyable read. This is one of many books that I received as a free ebook and it is rare that I find one that I truly enjoy. I just randomly selected this book to read not even knowing what it was about and I am glad that I did. Interesting characters, plot, engaging storyline, great writing. The book kept me interested from beginning to end! So interested that I purchased and downloaded book 2 before I even finished this book and I am going to begin reading it right away. ( )
  | Jul 5, 2015 | edit |
Enjoyable though fairly lightweight Fantasy in a steampunk universe with a likeable protagonist, maybe just a bit too often saved by her improbably persuasive tongue or luck in coming through hair-raising odds. ( )
  Jarandel | Jun 28, 2015 |
This was cute!! I actually really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting it to be so enjoyable, and I just picked it up because it was a free Kindle book. But it was actually really charming! I loved the ending.
  meghanas | Mar 21, 2015 |
It's a hard job, enforcer, hard for everyone, especially hard for a woman. Amaranthe is determined to become a great enforcer. The summons by the Imperial Regent is a good sign. If she was noticed by the throne, she might actually get a promotion.

Meeting the emperor again was a bonus. He was different from his ancestors, they were warriors bent on subjugating their enemies. He wanted peace.

Uncovering the conspiracy and saving the emperor wasn't on her plan. But sometimes a plan is only the starting point.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good adventure that involves intricate plots, family secrets, and magic. ( )
  Perrywilson | Nov 8, 2014 |
Corporal Amaranthe Lokdon paced.

Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin, is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills... or someone wants her dead.

Imperial law enforcer Amaranthe Lokdon is good at her job: she can deter thieves and pacify thugs, if not with a blade, then by toppling an eight-foot pile of coffee canisters onto their heads. But when ravaged bodies show up on the waterfront, an arson covers up human sacrifices, and a powerful business coalition plots to kill the emperor, she feels a tad overwhelmed. Worse, Sicarius, the empire's most notorious assassin is in town. He's tied in with the chaos somehow, but Amaranthe would be a fool to cross his path. Unfortunately, her superiors order her to hunt him down. Either they have an unprecedented belief in her skills.. or someone wants her dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,400,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible