Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of…

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks (edition 2012)

by Ken Jennings

Member:MsScarletB
Title:Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks
Authors:Ken Jennings
Info:
Rating:***

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings

Recently added byTXMagpie, andersonden, MLBrook, auburn89, private library, lacop, neilostrove, xdgc, ddguthrie, booklady2031

English (31)  Estonian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
I suspect your feelings about this book will largely be based on how much the subject resonates for you. I'm not as deeply in love with maps as some of the people described here (or the author, for that matter), but I have always loved maps. Reading about the worlds of fellow map lovers was a fun and insight-filled journey. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
Perhaps I'm not as much of a map lover as I thought I was. Ken Jenning's latest book is similar to his trivia one: he tells a short story which leads to a discussion about a bigger topic. Here, we get topics like map collectors, geocaching, and world creating. The chapters are fair -- filled with fun facts and several ideas if one wants to explore further. I am slightly relieved, though, that the mystery behind the Games-magazine advertised Valentine's Day Massacre scavenger hunt has now been revealed: if Jennings struggled with finding answers for the map game, how can any of us mere mortals compete?

My favorite map story: My sister purchased a gigantic National Geographic world map as I headed out to college. It took up a good portion of my wall. One of my dorm-mates walked in and exclaimed, "Wow! That's like ... life-sized!"

---------------------
LT Haiku:

True map geeks unite!
Secret meeting spot hidden
in endnotes. (Joking.) ( )
  legallypuzzled | Jul 23, 2014 |
Being a map lover, although not an obsessed map nerd such as Jennings describes in his book, I had mixed reactions to Maphead. Jennings himself comes off as the obsessive compulsive data collector that one might expect from a Jeopardy champion. He includes plenty of fascinating "facts" in his book & I did enjoy much of this. I enjoyed the first chapters most, since these deal with maps & map collectors as I know & appreciate them, even the fantasy world makers & mappers. I was particularly enthralled by the chapter about the map collection at the Library of Congress. Jennings then proceeds from historical maps to all manner of obsessive life list games of collection that involve geography or maps in some way. I found these chapters much less interesting in the same way that I find birdwatching with life listers annoying. Or any type of artificial score keeping. I just don't understand gaming fever I guess. As a starting point, a to do list, say of visiting all the National Parks, isn't a bad program. It can start you off in a direction. But when it becomes a manic drive to check off points, I lose interest in such activities. Jennings includes chapters on the Geography Bee kids; the club for traveler's who have "visited" 100 or more countries (amusing how they parse what a country is); Highpointers (they tag the highest elevation point in each state); road geeks; geocachers (the "litter" involved in this game appalls me, all those tupperware containers, film canisters & pill bottles niched into the landscape at practically every conceivable point); GPS gamers of all persuasions; Google Earthers, etc. ( )
  Paulagraph | May 25, 2014 |
I borrowed this from a friend, and wasn't expecting much from it, but it's a clear, lighthearted look at the role of maps in modern life. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 21, 2014 |
The three stars are there because I'm a maphead! To give some objectivity to the book, KJ says right out that he dislikes my favourites, the Hypsometric, or Colour=height maps, so we don't get a chapter on them, which is a loss. But if you are looking for a factoid book, proceeding chapter by chapter , about many of the threads of map-collecting, you will like this entry in the field. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Oct 2, 2013 |
My wound is geography. - Pat Conroy
For my parents. And for the kid with the map.
They say you're not really grown up until you've moved the last box of your stuff out of storage at your parents'. If that's true, I believe I will stay young forever, ageless and carefree as Dorian Gray, while the cardboard at my parents' house molders and fades.
Why did maps mean - why do they still mean, I guess - so much to me? Maps are just a way of organizing information, after all - not normally the kind of thing that spawns obsessive fandom. I've never heard anyone profess any particular love for the Dewey Decimal System. p.11
Falling in love with places is just like falling in love with people: it can happen more than once, but never quite like your first time. p. 15

Geography geeks,
Map nerds and the maps they love
Wittily profiled
(jbd1)
True map geeks unite!

Secret meeting spot hidden

in endnotes. (Joking.)

(legallypuzzled)

It comes as no surprise that, as a kid, Jeopardy! legend Ken Jennings slept with a bulky Hammond world atlas by his pillow every night. Maphead recounts his lifelong love affair with geography and explores why maps have always been so fascinating to him and to fellow enthusiasts everywhere. Jennings takes readers on a world tour of geogeeks, from the London Map Fair to the computer programmers at Google Earth. Each chapter delves into a different aspect of map culture: highpointing, geocaching, road atlas rallying, even the "unreal estate" charted on the maps of fiction and fantasy. He also considers the ways in which cartography has shaped our history, suggesting that the impulse to make and read maps is as relevant today as it has ever been.--From publisher description.… (more)

252 wanted1 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible