John Glenn: A Memoir by John Glenn

John Glenn: A Memoir (original 1999; edition 1999)

by John Glenn, Nick Taylor

Member:GVassmer
Title:John Glenn: A Memoir
Authors:John Glenn
Other authors:Nick Taylor
Info:Bantam (1999), Hardcover, 422 pages
Collections:Charles Vassmer
Tags:HIS, BIO

John Glenn: A Memoir by John H. Glenn (1999)

Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman by Neal Thompson (ABVR)
    ABVR: Glenn and fellow astronaut Alan Shepard were quasi-rivals within Project Mercury, and yet had similar career trajectories: retiring from flight status after one early-sixties mission, only to return years later for one more flight.
    Letters to John Glenn by Various Authors (ABVR)
    ABVR: Published shortly after Glenn's historic three-orbit flight in February 1962, this collection offers a fascinating glimpse of what the public thought about him.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (ABVR)
    ABVR: Wolfe's history of the Project Mercury astronauts presents Glenn as the one who first recognized, and most effectively adapted to, NASA's (and the American public's) need to see the astronauts as idealized Americans.

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up.

Length? – Three day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real World, and space, 1930's to 1990's.

Written approximately? – 1999.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: The life of John Glenn, the astronaut from childhood through the military and on into space. A circuitous route back to family, home, and friends.

Notes for the reader: You will laugh, cry, and enjoy this book. Reading it is like sitting by the fireside, listening to stories of times long ago, and not so long ago. Every story resonates today, even more so, with the lack of jobs and job security these days. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
4808. John Glenn A Memoir, by John Glenn with Nick Taylor (read 24 Mar 2011) I have never paid overly much attention to space but I found this book of great interest. I undertook to read it because Glenn was a Senator from 1974 to 1999 and I nearly always read Senator biographies when I get a chance, but his account of his first space trip on Feb 20, 1962 (when he orbited the earth three timse--the first person to ever orbit the earth three times-- I found of highest excitement. I also liked his account of growing up in Ohio and found his account of his war experience in World War Two and In the Korean War of high interest. His account of his 1998 space trip, when he orbited the earth 134 times was also amazing reading. This book proved to be much better than I expected, and I have decided I will have to read The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe--a book I have often thought about reading. I also highly approved of Glenn's attitude to his family life and to his disapproval of men who can't keep their zipper zipped up when they should. ( )
  Schmerguls | Mar 24, 2011 |
A fascinating look into the life of the first astronaut to orbit the earth, his involvement with Project Mercury, and as a public servant as a senator from Ohio. Plus, we get an update of the world oldest astronaut going back into space: at the age of 77. ( )
  jphillips3334 | Mar 18, 2010 |
Excellent biography about a national hero who presents himself as just an ordinary man. Very motivating. ( )
1 vote adriel | Jul 10, 2007 |
must have been tiresome to be around! ( )
  NAFR | Jun 19, 2007 |

Glenn, John H.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, Nicksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Annie, always and forever "the wind beneath my wings." and for Zachary and Daniel, for whom it all began.
Patriotism filled the air of New Concord, the small eastern Ohio town where I grew up.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553110748, Hardcover)

At a time when overwritten biographies arguably provide too much information about their subjects, astronaut-turned-politician-turned-astronaut John Glenn's breezy memoir is welcome. His life story is simply told, not terribly reflective but enormously compelling: an Ohio boy grows up to become the first American to orbit the earth, takes a shot at the presidency but misses, and triumphantly returns to outer space as a senior citizen and national hero. Following a section on his youth, Glenn describes being a fighter pilot in the Second World War and Korea (where he lived in the same Quonset hut as baseball legend Ted Williams), as well as a test pilot. The highlight of the book is Project Mercury, the early NASA effort that hurled Glenn 150 miles above the planet in a tiny capsule--"flying from one day into the next and back again." In less than five hours, Glenn observed three sunsets and sunrises. He also conducted a few basic experiments, such as "squeezing some applesauce from a toothpaste-like tube into my mouth to see if weightlessness interfered with swallowing. It didn't."

Upon his return to earth, Glenn made a few abortive runs for the Senate. He was finally elected in 1974 as a Democrat and served for 24 years. In 1984, he sought his party's presidential nomination, and it looked like he was the one candidate potentially capable of beating President Reagan. But he stumbled and had to quit. The final pages detail Glenn's 1998 mission aboard the space shuttle Discovery at the age of 77. Just as his journeys riveted the nation, Glenn's memoir will grip its readers. --John J. Miller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

John Glenn describes his life, including his childhood, World War II activities, work as a test pilot and astronaut, career as a senator, and return to space in 1998.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,499,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible