Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole…

Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World… (1998)

by Clare Walker Leslie, Charles E. Roth (Joint Author)

Recently added byLisa_Ask, mkstreet, td2of11, private library, CrookedLines, ELCox, BrianKeefer, KristynBer, LJR

I am starting a nature journal as part of my own learning process/growth - and this volume will continue to be a go-to guide for different approaches and inspiration.

Z may or may not take a shine to keeping some type of science-based journal as he gets older . . . this is a book that will provide some food for thought for him as well. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is the best book if you're interested in keeping a nature journal. Not only is it filled with very practical advice and even some drawing excercises, it is also loaded with inspiration. The inspiration comes in the form of ideas on topics and lots of examples from Clare's journal, not to mention plain enthusiasm, which clearly shines through the writing. If you're not enthusiastic to start with a nature journal after reading this book, you're never going to be enthusiastic. ( )
  Samantha_kathy | Aug 4, 2010 |
I've been nature journaling both personally and in my biology/env.science classes for almost five years and use this book constantly both as a guide and as an inspiration. Ms. Leslie's sketches and descriptions are a tribute to scientific journaling. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone interested in recording their outdoor thoughts, ideas, and adventures. ( )
  clif_hiker | Dec 12, 2009 |
Excellent book. My boys are reading this and it has encouraged them greatly in their nature journaling endeavors. ( )
  familyw | Jun 12, 2009 |

Clare Walker Leslieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roth, Charles E.Joint Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my daughter, Anna, because she has been with me throughout the whole process. It was Anna and her friends who gave me the courage and the support to find a way through to publication - suggesting exercises, offering their own drawings, being women naturalists of the future. ---Clare Walker Leslie
I would like to dedicate this book to my mentor - naturalist-educator Charles Mohr, who guided my early ventures into natural history - and to my five grandchildren, who may each find in these pages a way to develop their own sense of place in a changing world. ---Charles E. Roth
Many of us are looking for ways to connect better with nature - to learn its patterns, to help protect its inhabitants, to gain an understanding of what makes our own lives tick.
This book was originally published under the title Nature Journaling: Learning to Observe and Connect with the World Around You.

Mary Neyhart checked out 4/5/12

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0613918878, School & Library Binding)

In any season, any weather, and any place, a nature journal offers people the opportunity to slow down, observe, reflect, and renew their connection to the living world, whether in the city, the suburbs, or the country. In Keeping a Nature Journal, readers will learn simple techniques for starting and maintaining a journal that will enhance their appreciation of the natural world.

Using the methods Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth have

developed over years of journaling and teaching, Keeping a Nature Journal guides readers in creating ongoing journals for all seasons and purposes, describes simple ways to capture the natural world in words and pictures, and inspires readers to make nature journaling a part of daily life. Step-by-step drawing instructions show how anyone can learn to draw.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

From the day it was released in 2000, Keeping a Nature Journal has struck a profound chord among professional, casual, and occasional naturalists of all ages. In response to this groundswell of enthusiasm, we have revised Keeping A Nature Journal, updated the interior design, and created a new cover. Undoubtedly the most exciting new element in this second edition is a portfolio of 32 illustrated pages from Clare Walker Leslie's most recent journals, reproduced in full color. What makes Keeping A Nature Journalso popular? It is inspiring and easy to use. Clare and co-author Charles Chuck E. Roth offer simple techniques to give first-time journal-keepers the confidence to go outside, observe the natural world, and sketch and write about what they see. At the same time, they motivate long-time journal-keepers to hone their powers of observation as they immerse themselves in the mysteries of the natural world. Clare and Chuck stress that the journal is a personal record of daily experience and the world around us. Nature's beauty can be observed everywhere, whether in the city, suburbs, or country.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible