2030: The Real Story of What Happens to…

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America (edition 2011)

by Albert Brooks

Member:rickmac45
Title:2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America
Authors:Albert Brooks
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Read
Rating:***
Tags:dystopia, satire, humor, science fiction

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks

The Postmortal by Drew Magary (hairball)
    hairball: Exploration of similar themes with somewhat similar outcomes. The two are a really obvious pair.
    Boomsday by Christopher Buckley (anutany)

I came across this book up at the dollar store. I enjoyed the story, found some areas a bit redundant or confusing due to all the characters. But, with the way technology and our governments are moving towards these days, much of what was written could very easily become true. A modern day "1984". ( )
1 vote clowndust | Mar 22, 2014 |
Like I said before, I think that Albert Brooks gives us real literature that will eventually end up on summer reading lists and college discussions.

For me there were too many characters (and you're looking at a girl who LOVES 'Catch-22') The whole Max/Kathy thing could be eliminated in the abridged edition and not make any dent in the real storyline. We get it. The olds are getting all of the money and the young people are pissed off about it/tired of supporting them. Max and Kathy are unnecessary. Additionally, I think that the character of Susanna Colbert and

the relationship/divorce of the president is extraneous.

Enough. This book is eerie. It's definitely the '1984' of our generation and a cautionary tale of what happens if we don't figure out what to do with the nat'l debt. It gives a 'reality' to the debt that many of us don't understand/think about ... at least *I* don't understand/think about.

I liked it. A good read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A disturbing, but completely possible, look at the future. ( )
  elsyd | Apr 25, 2013 |
Brooks, whose humor I have always enjoyed (who wouldn't love the man who once did a skit where he was an elephant trainer whose elephant had been lost in shipment, so did his elephant act with a frog?), has written a dystopian novel which may technically be a comic one, but it sure felt like a downer while I was reading it. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
return to finish this when the reality of it might be slightly less! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
For my wife, Kimberly, and my children, Jacob and Claire
It was a normal day, or so it seemed.

June 12, 2030 started out like any other day in memory—and by then, memories were long.  Since cancer had been cured fifteen years before, America’s population was aging rapidly.  That sounds like good news, but consider this: millions of baby boomers, with a big natural predator picked off, were sucking dry benefits and resources that were never meant to hold them into their eighties and beyond.  Young people around the country simmered with resentment toward “the olds” and anger at the treadmill they could never get off of just to maintain their parents’ entitlement programs.

But on that June 12th, everything changed: a massive earthquake devastated Los Angeles, and the government, always teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, was unable to respond.

The fallout from the earthquake sets in motion a sweeping novel of ideas that pits national hope for the future against assurances from the past and is peopled by a memorable cast of refugees and billionaires, presidents and revolutionaries, all struggling to find their way.  In 2030, the author’s all-too-believable imagining of where today’s challenges could lead us tomorrow makes gripping and thought-provoking reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:47 -0400)

A near-future world struggles with the challenges of a dramatically aging population revitalized by the cure for cancer, a scenario that is challenged by an unprecedented natural disaster that drives the government into bankruptcy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,387,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible