2030: The Real Story of What Happens to…

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America (edition 2011)

by Albert Brooks

Title:2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America
Authors:Albert Brooks
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Audio Book, Read
Tags:dystopia, satire, humor, science fiction

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks

The Postmortal by Drew Magary (hairball)
    hairball: Exploration of similar themes with somewhat similar outcomes. The two are a really obvious pair.
    Boomsday by Christopher Buckley (anutany)

This book tells the story of what the United States may look like in 2030. It is a very interesting depiction of what could happen if there are no solutions in the areas of national debt, health care, and Social Security/Medicare. In the year 2030, cancer and a number of other diseases have been cured and people are living longer than ever. The AARP has a massive amount of power. Few people have adequate health care, and if they do, they spend their entire lives trying to pay for it. China is the richest and most powerful country. The United States is in huge debt, and many younger people blame this on "the olds," who are using more than their share of federal money because they live so long. In the midst of all this, there is a massive earthquake in Los Angeles, and the government doesn't have the money to rebuild or supply any form of adequate relief.

That being said, the book has an interesting premise, and it is a quick read. The characters aren’t extremely interesting and there is a strange love story involving the president that seems kind of pointless. Overall, I am glad I read the book.
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. You can hear Albert Brooks wry sense of humor throughout. But the issues he brings up are worth exploring. These include: social security, aging populations, the medical industry, generational conflict, selling off the country and euthanasia.

While it doesn't seem like there could be humor in these issues, Brooks pulls it off. He has multiple story lines going and none of them lose any momentum as the book progresses. At some point, you can "hear" that the author has shifted gears and the wry humor drops off noticeably as he picks up steam discussing the issues the book raises in the various plot lines.

The characters aren't fully round but that doesn't seem to matter because the readers interest in the story overcomes the weaknesses in character development. For anyone interested in the issues of an aging population, this book does a great job of pricking your imagination and making you think. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
I came across this book up at the dollar store. I enjoyed the story, found some areas a bit redundant or confusing due to all the characters. But, with the way technology and our governments are moving towards these days, much of what was written could very easily become true. A modern day "1984". ( )
1 vote clowndust | Mar 22, 2014 |
Like I said before, I think that Albert Brooks gives us real literature that will eventually end up on summer reading lists and college discussions.

For me there were too many characters (and you're looking at a girl who LOVES 'Catch-22') The whole Max/Kathy thing could be eliminated in the abridged edition and not make any dent in the real storyline. We get it. The olds are getting all of the money and the young people are pissed off about it/tired of supporting them. Max and Kathy are unnecessary. Additionally, I think that the character of Susanna Colbert and

the relationship/divorce of the president is extraneous.

Enough. This book is eerie. It's definitely the '1984' of our generation and a cautionary tale of what happens if we don't figure out what to do with the nat'l debt. It gives a 'reality' to the debt that many of us don't understand/think about ... at least *I* don't understand/think about.

I liked it. A good read. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A disturbing, but completely possible, look at the future. ( )
  elsyd | Apr 25, 2013 |
For my wife, Kimberly, and my children, Jacob and Claire
It was a normal day, or so it seemed.

June 12, 2030 started out like any other day in memory—and by then, memories were long.  Since cancer had been cured fifteen years before, America’s population was aging rapidly.  That sounds like good news, but consider this: millions of baby boomers, with a big natural predator picked off, were sucking dry benefits and resources that were never meant to hold them into their eighties and beyond.  Young people around the country simmered with resentment toward “the olds” and anger at the treadmill they could never get off of just to maintain their parents’ entitlement programs.

But on that June 12th, everything changed: a massive earthquake devastated Los Angeles, and the government, always teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, was unable to respond.

The fallout from the earthquake sets in motion a sweeping novel of ideas that pits national hope for the future against assurances from the past and is peopled by a memorable cast of refugees and billionaires, presidents and revolutionaries, all struggling to find their way.  In 2030, the author’s all-too-believable imagining of where today’s challenges could lead us tomorrow makes gripping and thought-provoking reading.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:34 -0400)

A near-future world struggles with the challenges of a dramatically aging population revitalized by the cure for cancer, a scenario that is challenged by an unprecedented natural disaster that drives the government into bankruptcy.

87 wanted1 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible