Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Collections:Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Chapter Book- Adventure

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Igraine The Brave by Cornelia Funke (KarenElissa)
    KarenElissa: similar premise, strong young girl helps to save the family
    The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton (Anonymous user)

After her mother and father, the Queen and King, go missing Celie, the youngest princess, and her sister Lilah and brother Rolf must defend their magical castle and strive to find the truth about their parent's disappearance. I loved the connection between Celie and the Castle. This Castle that builds itself and shifts around rooms and staircases reminded me of the shifting staircases in Hogwarts. I would recommend this book to a young student who has exhausted the Harry Potter series or even for a student not ready for Harry Potter. I am eager to read Wednesdays in the Tower. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Dec 1, 2014 |
I really like this book. I did not realize that it was part of series. I also plan on ordering this book for the school library as with some others of the 2015 Readers Choice list. This is a fantasy in which the castle is actually a living being who is an important character in the story. I look forward to presenting this book as well during library classes this coming school year. ( )
  ReaderVA | Jul 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tuesdays at the Castle is a wonderful middle grade book, it has imagination, magic, suspense, and the characters are amazing. I had never heard of this book until I saw it on the Librarything Early Readers list, and what the synopsis included really intrigued me. It has been a while since I have listened to an audiobook on CD in my car (my commute is fairly short now) but I found myself sitting in my car after arriving at work and home to continue the story.

The plot revolved around the royal family living in Castle Glower, a magical castle that can add and take away rooms, throw people out, and magically more things around at its own whim. King Glower the 79th has recently been pronounced dead and his three children are left at home to fend for themselves while people in the castle plan to assassinate the next king and take over the magical castle.

We follow the story through the eyes of the youngest child, Celie, while her brother Ralph must take up the throne and try to stay alive long enough to find out if their father is really dead. With the castle helping the Glower children there was a lot of fun in this story: a mysterious tower, spy holes, magical capes that make you completely unheard but also a lot of drama: treason, evil princes, wizards, the castle itself. It was a magical read.

I really enjoyed everything about this book. It was very fun to listen to, the reader of the audiobook was amazing and really kept me engaged. I think the story itself was just as engaging though. I think all ages will enjoy listening to this book – sometimes it does have words that may need some explanation for younger readers but overall it was a marvelous book and it is a series! So you can keep reading about these characters. ( )
  sszkutak | Jul 7, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George (Recorded Books)

This is an audiobook.

Celie has a talent for maps and can't wait for Tuesday when the Castle grows a new room, this time there is a problem her parents disappear.

People from the neighboring kingdom show up to advise the siblings. How did they hear about the disappearance so fast? Did they have something to do with it?

Find out and enjoy the read:)5***** stars ( )
  Pebblesgmc | Jun 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this story! It was well read by Suzy Jackson, who has a vaguely English accent, which I found appropriate since Jessica Day George's books generally seem to be set in stylized/fantasy European countries.

The story is the first in a series of books about Castle Glower, which was a wonderfully lovable character, even though it has no lines. The plot was nicely wrapped up with no noticeable strings hanging loose. Meanwhile, the characters are so lovable, I can't wait to read the others. ( )
  Lauraday88 | Jun 23, 2014 |
A satisfying mix of Hogwarts and Howl's Moving Castle, Castle Glower helps its true citizens, but never at the expense of plot or character development.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlin Augusta (Nov 1, 2011)

These kids are clever, as is George's lively adventure.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Sep 15, 2011)

Jessica Day Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hohn, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jackson, SuzyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mark, DonnaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whenever Castle Glower became bored, it would grow a new room or two.

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom. This delightful book from a fan- and bookseller-favorite kicks off a brand-new series sure to become a modern classic.
[retrieved from Amazon 1/19/2012]

Eleven-year-old Princess Celie lives with her parents, the king and queen, and her brothers and sister at Castle Glower, which adds rooms or stairways or secret passageways most every Tuesday, and when the king and queen are ambushed while travelling, it is up to Celie--the castle's favorite--with her secret knowledge of its never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,328,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible