Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

Collections:Upper Elementary Levels, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Chapter Book- Adventure

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George

2011 (5) 2012 (8) 2013 (3) adventure (16) ARC (4) assassination (3) castles (23) children's (16) children's literature (7) ebook (4) fairy tales (5) family (6) fantasy (75) fiction (18) jfic (3) juvenile (5) juvenile fiction (5) Kindle (5) magic (15) maps (3) MG (5) middle grade (6) princess (17) Princess Celie (3) royalty (6) series (3) siblings (7) to-read (13) YA (8) young adult (3)
    Igraine The Brave by Cornelia Funke (KarenElissa)
    KarenElissa: similar premise, strong young girl helps to save the family
    The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Jennifer Trafton (Anonymous user)

I'm a newbie reader of Jessica Day George, but she found another fan! Loved this story. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
Wonderful children's book filled with all the things that truly great children's books SHOULD have. Adventure, magic, and bravery all wrapped up in an entertaining story. Perfect for grades 4-7, and even us older people who still like a little bit of magic to believe in. ( )
  Rainviolet | Jan 10, 2014 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 4-8

Plot Summary: Celie wants to join her parents as they head out for a week long visit to the school of Wizardry to witness Bran graduate, but she stays behind and helps her siblings deal with the day to day stuff of princes and princesses. On the day of their arrival, she finds a new room added by the castle. The Spyglass Tower. It has hard biscuits, spyglasses, and a few more provisions. Only the siblings can access it and they always find it easily. Using a spyglass (which sees what's happening far away or in a room of the castle), Celie sees her parents carriage rushing home without them in it. The Emissary insists they are dead but the kids don't think so because the castle is the same. If they were dead the castle would have changed to help choose the next king. No one believes them, and despite a long investigation, the Council insists on having a memorial service for the guards who lost their lives and for the lost king, queen, and prince. Prince Khelsh asks for plenty of rooms for himself and his guards. Prince Lulath asks for many rooms as well. The kids aren't very happy to have these large parties staying in their castle, but they figure the castle will make it known if they are welcome of not. The council pushes Rolf to be coronated as king despite his wishes to wait. All of the kids are upset when they learn that Prince Khelsh will take Rolf's place on the council, and more importantly, be named the next heir. Knowing they will try to kill Rolf as soon as Rolf signs the papers, the kids start worrying and planning. The Spyglass Tower becomes their homebase because somehow, the castle knew they would need it, and everything in it. What happened to the king and queen? What will happen with Prince Khelsh? Is Prince Lulath good or bad?

Setting: Castle Glower

Characters:
Celie - AKA Cecilia, youngest child, loves to maps the new rooms of the castle and draws them to add to her atlas, can feel the castle breathe and has a strong connection to it
Bran - Celie's brother, sent to wizardry school, will become the Royal Wizard because his grandfather died two years before
Rolf - 14 y/o, Celie's brother, heir to the throne
Lilah - AKA Delilah, Celie's sister
Glower the Seventy-ninth - Celie's dad, the king
Queen Celina - 40 y/o, looks as beautiful as she did when she was married
Pogue Parry - flirst with all of the females, came to the court to see if Lilah was around, became a trusted confidante of the kids
Prince Khelsh - evil prince, was banished from his hometown and came to rule Glower
Prince Lulath - about 25 y/o, has dogs, offers to help the siblings, writes a note to Khelsh's dad explaining what's happening
Emissary - head of the council, with Prince Khelsh

Recurring Themes: strong female, royalty, heirs, good vs. evil, intelligence, maps, atlas, siblings, family

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: I enjoyed Dragon Slippers a bit more because it had more character development, but I liked that the youngest sister was the one who saved the day and knew what to do at the end. The idea of the castle being a character itself was quite intriguing and well developed. I felt the death as well. I think boys and girls will like it.

Genre: Fantasy

Pacing: Medium-fast, some chapters go fast than others, I read it quickly but it started a bit slow
Characters: well developed, kept you guessing as to whether they were good or evil
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity:

Great first line: "Whenever Castle Glower became bored, it would grow a new room or two." ( )
  pigeonlover | Dec 26, 2013 |
I loved this one. It was fun, quirky, and the perfect thing for a snowy day. It's perfect for the middle-grade kids, and I think boys and girls alike will enjoy it. The girls that I work with in church have been completely gaga over it, so you know it's hitting the mark.

I loved the characters. Everyone had something different and awesome to add to the mix (except Prince Khelsh-didn't like him one bit!) and they were all vital to the story. I could totally picture Prince Lulath being a being Swedish guy, especially when he spoke. I could hear him! It was awesome.

Princess Celie was fantastic. One of those characters that young girls will want to be like and boys will have a crush on. She was resourceful, intelligent, and spunky. (I loved it when she sassed her elders. They SO deserved it.)

The plot kept me engaged the whole time. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next in Castle Glower and I was dying to know the outcome of the siblings' war against the usurpers. Kids will have no trouble at all sticking with this one.

I'm giving Tuesdays at the Castle a 'Pick Me' rating for being awesome! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
From my blog:

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George proves that middle-grade doesn’t mean dumbed-down adult stories. Tuesdays at the Castle is a marvelously enjoyable read for adults as well, with a fun new take on the living castle and four excellent royal children to save the day. I had such a fun time reading this one as a “break” from the heavier books I’ve been reading, but I found myself also drawn in to a deep world with so much still to learn. I need to write this review quick so that I can read the sequel!
Note: I read an ARC of Tuesdays at the Castle that I borrowed from a friend.

Strengths:
So much love for the castle! Castle Glower, which Celia Glower and her royal parents and siblings live in, is quite alive and quite happy to prove it. It moves rooms around to express its opinion about those staying in them, and even moves hallways as someone is walking to direct them. If it likes you, it might help you get where you are trying to go, but if it doesn’t like you, good luck ever getting anywhere on time.
Celia and her siblings were awesome. Celia is the typical rambunctious youngest child, but her sister is also an excellent example of how smart and strong women can take on the typical feminine roles of running the household. It’s hard to keep a castle clean and organized even with staff to help! I loved the breadth of characteristics that the siblings covered, with an intellectual brother off at the Wizard’s tower, a brother learning to be king and trying to keep his throne, and two sisters who are both clever and determined in their own ways.
The villains were crafty and infuriating. This is where you go “what? In a middle grade book??” and I just nod and smile because Tuesdays at the Castle had such well-crafted villains!
There are hints throughout Tuesdays at the Castle that the castle has a very solid reason for being what it is, and the world is not as simple and fun as you might first think. I’m so excited to see what happens in the sequel :D.

Weaknesses:
The siblings spend the whole book in the castle, which is fun because the castle is cool and it makes sense. However, I found myself yearning to go adventuring and fix the problems out in the world. Maybe next book ;-).
The plot was fairly predictable, even though I wanted to throttle the bad guys at times.
At times I had a bit of trouble keeping track of what was going on and imagining the scene due to lack of description. It was only sometimes though!

Summary:
If you are looking for an easy and fun read, check out Tuesdays at the Castle. I might just have found a new obsession (moving and living castles), because this book made Castle Glower a character in its own right. I just want to hug it, though my arms probably wouldn’t fit…. Since Tuesdays at the Castle is so short and readable, it would be perfect for a read-a-thon! ( )
  anyaejo | Sep 7, 2013 |
A satisfying mix of Hogwarts and Howl's Moving Castle, Castle Glower helps its true citizens, but never at the expense of plot or character development.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Caitlin Augusta (Nov 1, 2011)

These kids are clever, as is George's lively adventure.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus (Sep 15, 2011)

Whenever Castle Glower became bored, it would grow a new room or two.

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom. This delightful book from a fan- and bookseller-favorite kicks off a brand-new series sure to become a modern classic.
[retrieved from Amazon 1/19/2012]

Eleven-year-old Princess Celie lives with her parents, the king and queen, and her brothers and sister at Castle Glower, which adds rooms or stairways or secret passageways most every Tuesday, and when the king and queen are ambushed while travelling, it is up to Celie--the castle's favorite--with her secret knowledge of its never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,465,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible