Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane…

Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters (edition 2011)

by Jane Yolen, Kelly Murphy (Illustrator)

Member:michelle.1
Title:Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters
Authors:Jane Yolen
Other authors:Kelly Murphy (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages

Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane Yolen

This book was about monsters who are doing everyday things like running and tumbling. Eventually, just like kids, the monsters become worn out and need to rest. I think kids would appreciate the illustrations and rhyming throughout the story. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 18, 2014 |
"Monsters creep, Monsters crawl, / Over the meadow, And up the wall," begins this monstrous bedtime book from the prolific Jane Yolen, with artwork by Kelly Murphy. The simple sing-song narrative, which follows two particular monsters as they make their way home one evening, gives way to onomatopoeic play at the end, as the two little creatures toss and turn in bed, until finally... well, the inevitable happens.

Chosen as one of our October selections in the Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme this month is "witches and monsters," Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters is more on the sweet, than the scary side. The illustrations, done in oil, acrylic and gel(?), are lots of fun, with a cute, cartoon-like style that won me over. The narrative makes for good reading aloud, until the final section, which felt rather tacked on to me. Still, I can see some young kids getting a kick out of this one, as long as they aren't put off by the "monsters" bit. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 7, 2013 |
Yolen, J. (2011). Creepy monsters, sleepy monsters. (Ill. by Kelly Murphy.) Candlewick. 32 pp. ISBN: 0763642010. (hardcover) $11.18.

Creep, gurgle, crawl, and tumble! Meet two young monsters who are far from scary -- they are too busy having fun. Young children and parents alike will find much to identify with as they follow these lovable little monsters getting ready for bed. With wildly colorful illustrations full of whimsy and warmth, Kelly Murphy brings Yolen’s gently rhyming tale to life! The large fonts and delightful rhyming pattern will help engage readers. This book would be a great help for children who are afraid of the dark, with friendly images, it makes it a great way to talk about how monsters are harmless because they are just like we are! - Michelle Angel
  michelle.1 | Nov 24, 2012 |
Simple text ... ( )
  melodyreads | Jan 6, 2012 |
Creepy Monsters, Sleepy Monsters by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Kelly Murphy.

Yolen's simple text, "Monsters slither, monsters wave/All in a hurry to get to their cave" is glowingly illustrated with Murphy's oil, acrylic and gel paintings.

I was underwhelmed by Yolen's text. The whole poem reads:
"Monsters creep, monsters crawl
Over the meadow and up the wall.
Monsters run, monsters stumble,
Monsters hip-hop, monsters tumble,
Monsters slither, monsters wave
All in a hurry to get to their cave...
Where monsters grab a bite to eat,
Then into the tub to wash their feet,
Then monster prayers and into bed,
But they toss and turn and bounce instead.
Growl Gurgle
Burp Grrrr
Snarl Snarf
I'm not sleepy.
zzzzz"

The change in rhythm and the disintegration into sounds at the end - it just didn't work for me. However, I'm always reading with an eye for storytime and while this one won't shine in that area, I can see it working well as a one-on-one bedtime story with the slow building of repetition and drifting off to sleep.

Murphy's pop-eyed monsters add just enough "ick" factor while still giving a cozy feel to the tale. Picture book authors seem to have an irresistable compulsion to write bedtime stories, often featuring monsters, and so few get the balance between sweet and scary just right, but Murphy and Yolen have done a good job here.

Verdict: This isn't going to replace Rosoff's Jumpy Jack and Googily or Noll's I Need My Monster in my affections, but it's a solid addition that patrons will be happy to check out again and again. Recommended.

ISBN: 978-0763642013; Published July 2011 by Candlewick; Review copy provided by publisher through Raab Associates
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 4, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763642010, Hardcover)

Beloved author Jane Yolen scares up a new rhyming read-aloud about the snarfing, growling, snoring way that monsters go to bed.

Creep, gurgle, crawl, tumble! Meet two young monsters who are far from scary - they’re too busy having fun. They go to school, play outside with their friends, and eat after-school snacks. But they also have a bedtime, whether or not they’re ready for it! Young children and parents alike will find much to identify with as they follow these lovable little monsters getting ready for bed. With wildly colorful illustrations full of whimsy and warmth, Kelly Murphy brings Jane Yolen’s gently rhyming tale to rambunctious life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:54 -0400)

Two rambunctious monsters creep, gurgle, crawl, and tumble before falling asleep.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible