SantaThing sign up ends in 3:18 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:kitkat859
Title:The Pledge
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2011), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:To read
Rating:***

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

English (66)  German (1)  English (67)
Review to come ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
I loved the plot and the characters, though small bits don't yet make sense. The one-dimensional queen and little sister (who would totally be using visual communication) were rather grating. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 18, 2016 |
In this dystopian novel, society is divided by language - the difference social classes each speak their own language, using a common language only when they need to interact with each other. This makes Charlaina, who can understand all languages, a dangerous young woman. The last half of this novel really flew by, although the first half was a little hard to get through. I'd recommend this to fans of YA dystopian literature, but I don't know that it has much cross-over appeal. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Feb 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book, it was fast-paced with a nice mix of dystopia and fantasy, but the characters were rather one dimensional. I liked Charlie but she didn't impress me as a protagonist. Instead, my favourite character was her four-year-old sister. Angelina, who was a real little sweetie. There was a gentle romance throughout the book, which was a nice change, and I liked the premise of the social classes being separated by language. it was only in the epilogue that the author hinted at a darker element, leaving the story open for an interesting sequel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |

In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines what class you are, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place—looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she’s been hiding her whole life. Her only place of release is the drug-filled underground club scene, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she’s never heard, and her secret is almost exposed. Through a series of violent upheavals, it becomes clear that Charlie herself is the key to forcing out the oppressive power structure of her kingdom….

In a dystopian kingdom where the classes are separated by the languages they speak, Charlaina "Charlie" Hart has a secret gift that is revealed when she meets a mysterious young man named Max.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible