The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge (edition 2011)

by Kimberly Derting

Member:kitkat859
Title:The Pledge
Authors:Kimberly Derting
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2011), Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:To read
Rating:***

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

English (64)  German (1)  All languages (65)
I loved the plot and the characters, though small bits don't yet make sense. The one-dimensional queen and little sister (who would totally be using visual communication) were rather grating. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 18, 2016 |
In this dystopian novel, society is divided by language - the difference social classes each speak their own language, using a common language only when they need to interact with each other. This makes Charlaina, who can understand all languages, a dangerous young woman. The last half of this novel really flew by, although the first half was a little hard to get through. I'd recommend this to fans of YA dystopian literature, but I don't know that it has much cross-over appeal. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Feb 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book, it was fast-paced with a nice mix of dystopia and fantasy, but the characters were rather one dimensional. I liked Charlie but she didn't impress me as a protagonist. Instead, my favourite character was her four-year-old sister. Angelina, who was a real little sweetie. There was a gentle romance throughout the book, which was a nice change, and I liked the premise of the social classes being separated by language. it was only in the epilogue that the author hinted at a darker element, leaving the story open for an interesting sequel. I would rate this book 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I found The Pledge randomly on PulseIt, but liked it a lot more than I expected, though there were parts of it that also made me uncomfortable, mainly some of the violence and magic (though still not sure what the point of the main character fixating on the dancers in the club was either?). The Pledge isn't gory, but I am somewhat squeamish, so this is a bit more in terms of personal taste. I guess what it comes down to, though, is that I was able to enjoy it a lot overall, even though I'm not really a fan of dystopia and paranormal (though I end up reading a lot of it because it is so omnipresent in the YA market).

I was initially drawn to the premise of language playing a major role, because I love languages and the concept interested me. The book was off to a pretty slow start for me, but once I got through the first few chapters, I was pretty hooked.

The plot, if not startlingly original in its bare bones, was still interesting and, to me, enjoyable. I actually loved how the romance played out; different from what I've read in most YA novels recently. And personally, I thought Derting achieved a good balance between the proper reaction of a reasonable person to a stranger--i.e., distrust, discomfort, suspicion--and the romantic impulses of a teenager to someone attractive. I feel like I'm usually rolling my eyes at how desperately the main character flings herself onto a mysterious man she doesn't know at all. I enjoyed how Derting fleshed out Charlie's personality, and her reactions to Max fit her shy, sweet nature. And though it is difficult to develop trust in a total stranger (and thus something I would never prefer as the mode of romantic development in a book), the process it took them and Max's consistent character made it more plausible.

When it comes down to it, sometimes the writing felt a little heavy to me--sometimes--but there were also points when I really enjoyed certain turns of phrase. I don't know if, thematically, this novel covers much of depth; at least not much sticks out right away. But above everything, I enjoyed the characters and enjoyed the story. However, I have to say I was a little disappointed that this, too, is a trilogy, when I thought it stood alone quite well. I may end up checking out the sequel, but a preliminary glance has me think that I might be content to leave it here. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Egalley thanks to Simon&Schuster
I can tell you straight away that the language is the strongest point of this book. It's easy, hugely entertaining, vivid, simple, and you just fly through the pages.

Like in any fairy tale, and this is a classic fairy tale, make no mistake, - the characters are simple and straightforward, there is no depth in them. You have your Cinderella and Prince Charming, your Evil Queen and various loyal friends, servants and henchmen.

The big downside of this lovely story is the world building. It's weak and hugely underdeveloped. It starts like dystopia, but there are just too many things that don't add up, so it slips into fantasy mash-up.

If you're just able to ignore it, you'll enjoy the story like I did. Yeah, yeah, this is the world of some obscure future with no trace of technology... Oh, wait there are bombs and guns! But no sign of PCs and the rest of the personal gadgets apart from vague royal database. I see that there are trains, but no mention of planes. A strict class system, but too many illegal clubs where 16-year-old girls can slip away and get their drug/alcohol of choice... hm-m...

LOL. I'm stopping my rant right now. Despite the discrepancies, the plot didn't irritate me like it did in Eve by Anna Carey. Perhaps because it went straight into fantasy realm. Charlaina and Max were adorable with an addition of her cute little sister and her irritating BFF Brooklyn. I wanted to know more about Xander and Max's bodyguards, but their characters didn't develop.

Overall, if you love fairy tales, this is for you. If you wanted a nitty-gritty dystopia, better skip this one. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines what class you are, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place—looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she’s been hiding her whole life. Her only place of release is the drug-filled underground club scene, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she’s never heard, and her secret is almost exposed. Through a series of violent upheavals, it becomes clear that Charlie herself is the key to forcing out the oppressive power structure of her kingdom….

In a dystopian kingdom where the classes are separated by the languages they speak, Charlaina "Charlie" Hart has a secret gift that is revealed when she meets a mysterious young man named Max.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,817,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible