11/22/63 by Stephen King

5,096363879 (4.21)1 / 468
Member:ablachly
Title:11/22/63
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2011), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, Hardcover, 849 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (341)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (362)
I heard a lot of 11/22/63 when I saw King winning awards for this book and the fact the rave reviews on Amazon were enticing. Not a horror novel, King writes a time-travel novel.

But it's not about time-travel. Behind this science fiction landscape is a love story. A love story that could shake the very reality of the universe if Jake Epping lets it!

Jake gets to know Al, a strange guy who runs a hamburger joint in a small Maine town. Al is dying of cancer and has to let someone know his plan. Live long enough in the past to 1963 and stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating Kennedy!

Jake is not so sure about this but goes ahead to the tiny burger joint where Al shows him the stock room, which happens to have a time portal in it. Where'd that come from? Weird anomaly or more?

Al tells Jake all and then perishes. The character development is such that I really felt for Al and his major quest to stop the Kennedy assassination. Al was hoping that we would not get into Vietnam and the country would prosper.

Jake on the other hand wants to change the past as well. Stop a little girl from getting hit by a bullet and get paralysis; stop a student, Harry, from having his family murdered by a drunk father; and his biggest prize, Oswald!

I was fascinated by the fact that King weaves an easy-to-follow story where Jake meets the "Yellow Card Man" which card keeps changing color. Who is this guy?

Also I have seen where other reviewers remark that King drops a few Easter eggs where characters from his other novels appear – a murderous clown, or mention of Shawshank Prison. This didn't tickle my fancy so much. What did is King's interpretation of the late 1950s/early 1960s.

The time period did have its friendly small towns but also had its criminal element. Interesting that we glorify the past but forget that the past had its own problems and bad elements, which Jake finds plenty of, to his dismay.

The majority of the book is Jake's relationship with a small-town librarian in Jolie Texas and how he will do anything to protect her and to love her. Trouble is, there is way more at stake and I won't reveal more in the plot, other than to say the ending is troublesome and heartwrenching for the poor guy.

Bottom Line: Not a typical horror novel and not even a typical time-travel novel, the 860 pages fly by as you experience 1960s America and it's date with the Kennedy assassination. What if it never happened? What if we regret our decision?

Recommended.
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
Saved by the ending ... ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
I became a Stephen King fan since I read the first Dark Tower book. With that in mind I have to say that 3 starts is the rate I give to books that fulfill my expectation.

This is another excellent story with a hell of a plot! The last 200 pages are simply breath taken.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, this book went to the same place as the 4th book on the Dark Tower Series. Mr. King spent more time that I would like to on a secondary plot (which is as good as the main one) while I was craving to know "what's going to happen" on the main one.

Nevertheless, this is another master piece of Mr. King and my correct rate would be 3.5 stars but since Goodreads doesn't allow me to do so I lowered to 3. ( )
  thiagoalves | Aug 26, 2014 |
Great ( )
  rnmackrn26 | Aug 21, 2014 |
I loved this book. Kinda sad it took me so long to pick it up. It was one of those books that as I got close to the end I tried to stretch it out, I was not ready for it to be over. Great Stephen King book. ( )
  lonewolf9395 | Aug 7, 2014 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu MingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,790,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible