11/22/63 by Stephen King

4,921355929 (4.2)1 / 458
Member:ablachly
Title:11/22/63
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Scribner (2011), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, Hardcover, 849 pages

11/22/63 by Stephen King

1960s (50) 2011 (30) 2012 (80) alternate history (162) assassination (51) audiobook (38) ebook (80) fantasy (70) fiction (435) historical fiction (137) history (38) horror (72) JFK (152) Kennedy (39) Kennedy Assassination (59) Kindle (86) Lee Harvey Oswald (31) Maine (34) novel (54) read (59) read in 2011 (26) read in 2012 (41) science fiction (197) Stephen King (59) suspense (37) Texas (48) thriller (72) time travel (411) to-read (239) USA (29)
    It by Stephen King (watertiger, sturlington)
    watertiger: The characters from IT are referenced in 11/22/63
    sturlington: A section of 11/22/63 is set in Derry and features characters from It.
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (StarryNightElf)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (SJaneDoe, dltj)
    dltj: Shares a similar plot line that covers part of the same time period, and "Replay" even includes a story fragment about November 22, 1963.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (zwelbast, bookworm12)
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (stevetempo)
    stevetempo: No change in history here...but a cross time romance is featured...if you saw and enjoyed the movie...read the book.
    American Tabloid by James Ellroy (glwebb)
    glwebb: If you liked 11/22/63 then American Tabloid should be right up your street. A very snappy, complicated, twisted look at the Kennedy Presidency and assassination. Ellroy dishes up a counterfactual history that seems almost too real to be anything other than the secret truth.… (more)
    American Gods - The Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both novels are epic. They both have elements of time travel and a sense that minor actions can lead to major unintended consequences.
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)

English (330)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Catalan (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (351)
I'm a King addict. The research on this novel is spot-on. Interesting the way he managed to take actual facts and roll them into something that is educational as well as great make-believe. ( )
  LEFraser | Jul 10, 2014 |
When I was first loaned this book, it looked massive, and it was going to be about Kennedy? Historical fiction really isn't my thing, so I was sure that it would've a difficult read.

To my relief and enjoyment, the heart of this book is still King--it was fiction and a good story. Rather than an essay on "What would happen if JFK had lived?". Of course, it isn't easy to change the course of history....but what if you did!? How would the world change. Jake Epping, aka George, finds himself with the ability to go back in time, but not just at the time of the assassination, so he must live in Texas a few years before he gets his chance.

This is his story, of going back, fitting in, and stalking Lee Harvey Oswald....and the consequences of it... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Fantastic (and in my case unexpected) take on what would have happened had President Kennedy not been assassinated!
  mmeyers9 | Jul 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed this time travel romance that centers around JFK's assassination and what might have happened if the assassination hadn't happened. I'm fairly new to King's writing and I like it. Yes, it's a bit long, but he writes so grippingly that it really pulls you along. I thought the romance angle in this book was a little weak and ended up being too big a part of the book, but overall it was an enjoyable read. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 5, 2014 |
I was greatly entertained by this audiobook, until about halfway through when I hit a wall and no longer wanted to continue. I stopped reading right before George meets Sadie. Then I got on the internet and read a few plot summaries and reviews to see what I would be missing and decided that I had made the right decision. I've been trying ever since to analyze my problem with the book, since it is unusual for me to switch from hot to cold on a book so suddenly -- but the action really changed right around the part I stopped reading. It stopped being about the challenges of changing the past, and living in the past; and instead started being about just what a great guy George Amberson was -- and George wasn't interesting enough to hold my attention, especially since he seemed so unconflicted about what he was doing. If I were him I would have worried that by staying in one place too long I was endangering the people around me (if the past were truly obdurate, it might find a way to harm them to get to me), and I would have wondered whether I was increasing the chance of a harmful butterfly effect (by having more of an impact on individuals, especially as a teacher). Also, I would have questioned the ultimate mission more -- I would have considered whether stopping Oswald was worth the possible second order effects. Even though if I were in his place I wouldn't have anticipated what did happen, I think I would have been worried that without Kennedy's assassination we wouldn't have had the Civil Rights Act and we wouldn't have gone to the Moon. I don't think I would have wanted to risk it -- but he is just so blase about the whole thing that it makes him a really boring protagonist when nothing much else is going on. ( )
  read.to.live | Jun 28, 2014 |
It all adds up to one of the best time-travel stories since H. G. Wells. King has captured something wonderful. Could it be the bottomlessness of reality? The closer you get to history, the more mysterious it becomes. He has written a deeply romantic and pessimistic book. It’s romantic about the real possibility of love, and pessimistic about everything else.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonomelli, RexCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cassel, BooTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gassie, NadineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hobbing, ErichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wu MingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is virtually not assimilable to our reason that a small lonely man felled a giant in the midst of his limousines, his legions, his throng, and his security. If such a nonentity destroyed the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, then a world of disproportion engulfs us, and we live in a universe that is absurd.

- Norman Mailer
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples.

- Japanese proverb
Dancing is life.
For Zelda
Hey, honey, welcome to the party
I have never been what you call a crying man.
But stupidity is one of two things we see most clearly in retrospect.  The other is missed chances.
Although emotionally delicate and eminently bruisable, teenagers are short on empathy.  That comes later in life, if at all.
Life turns on a dime.

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas,
President Kennedy died, and the world changed.

If you had the chance to change history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.
Can we change the past?
Not if it erases life.
Better just to dance. (enemyanniemae)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? The author's new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. In this novel that is a tribute to a simpler era, he sweeps readers back in time to another moment, a real life moment, when everything went wrong: the JFK assassination. And he introduces readers to a character who has the power to change the course of history. Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students, a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night fifty years ago when Harry Dunning's father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk. Not much later, Jake's friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane, and insanely possible, mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake's new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life, a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.… (more)

Current discussions

May 2014's SK Flavor of the Month - 11/22/63 in King's Dear Constant Readers

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,472,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible